Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Nation 98 wrote: »
    And these are basically the same working class lads that are hailed as heroes for bombing and murdering hundreds of people when they're fighting wars in foreign countries. Yet they break a few windows and set a few buildings on fire and they're barbarians.

These thugs wouldn't have the discipline to be in the army. Not just breaking a "few" windows etc.., they're destroying their own communities and people's livelihoods and homes. Not to mention the hugely negative effect it will have on London/England to the rest of the world. Talk about understatement of the year. Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No they dont. Nobody says that.

Some people say three others say nine but the general point holds true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

No attacks on the Houses of Parliament?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

baldbear wrote: »
    Yeah i saw that and they have looted the palace and given the Queen a wedgy.

And they also broke into Big Ben and set it back by an hour, just to annoy people in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Folks,

He's pointing a gun symbol at a perceived Asian bag of rice which is the root of the problem - Asian immigrants "stealing" jobs and taking social security is one of the main causes for unrest - which is kind of ironic given the vast majority of the rioters are clearly unemployed second generation African immigrants. Being second generation obviously makes a person far more worthy of free money.

It's a pretty typical attitude though for anyone immigrant or native - anyone else takes my place as the natural beneficiary of someone else's money and they are in for trouble. I was obviously here first.

Or in other words Poverty Their parents emigrated to escape poverty and now the other people who also emigrated to escape poverty and are stealing their benefits/jobs. Leading to more poverty.

Or are they all just scumbags ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

amacachi wrote: »
    Cool, so a few people throwing rocks is terrorism but burning people out of buildings, attacking dozens of people and setting fire to businesses while roving the streets for another area full of people to attack isn't?

No actually - why would stone throwing be terrorism? When the blow up a building and kill 20 people then get back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Horgan wrote: »
    BBC showing looters trying to get into another Ladbrokes in Ealing, WTF is their obsession with Ladbrokes!?

Early odds?

Getting their betting taxes back:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I don't believe anyone is saying these riots reflect the views of all black people at all. Only the mindless few, who feel they are somehow doing a great service to the memory of the murdered man involved.

However, it is naive to say there is no racial aspect to this at all. Would you say the same about the Rodney King riots? Again, those riots were carried out by a largely African American contingent too?

Some posters here seem very much intent on implying that.
    Not referring to you; you're point is entirely seperate and is not without merit.
    Though, just to clear things up, i'm pretty sure there isn't a large 'African-American' contingent involved in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

coonecb1 wrote: »
    Seems to be dying down now, BBC & Sky are just recycling the same images over and over. No new developments

Posters on politics.ie saying that the media have been asked to stop showing live images to try and quell violence. Would explain why there's been some live phone conversations but no images

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I'm not saying it is only black people involved (although it is fair to say the vast majority being shown on the newsclips I am watching are black), you will always get thugs of every race joining in just for something to do.

However, the incident that triggered the riots was a racially based one. If it had been a white guy, do you think we would be seeing these same scenes right now?

These riots are most certainly based on a racial issue - just as the NI riots were based on a sectarian one.

Even if they are black, don't know why you are jumping to the conclusion that this is race related. As said from the pictures I have been watching it is pretty mixed, that said, I tend not see color in a person.

Again look at the pictures of the riots in Tottenham , a mixed crowd, you can't comapre it to NI, unless you are saying that both Catholic and Protestant joined forces in attacking the police there?

The trouble in London at the moment has no comparison with NI or the Rodney King riots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

mike65 wrote: »
    Some people say three others say nine but the general point holds true.

Yeah look at somalia and all the rioting that is going on over there at the moment. Do you see many starving people in those pictures of London as I see people who havent gone without many meals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No they dont. Nobody says that.
    I always say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Horgan wrote: »
    BBC showing looters trying to get into another Ladbrokes in Ealing, WTF is their obsession with Ladbrokes!?

Early odds?

They want the pens.

ascanbe wrote: »
    Some posters here seem very much intent on implying that.
    Not referring to you; you're point is entirely seperate and is not without merit.
    Though, just to clear things up, i'm pretty sure there isn't a large 'African-American' contingent involved in this.

Well it is AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

fromSky reporter:
    skymarkwhite Mark White

We've had to pull out of London Road Croydon after our satellite truck was attacked by rioters. Crew very shaken, no police in sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

The ones who are attacking Ladbrokes represent those of us punters who have given so much of our money to the bookies, and for what?

Time for Ladbrokes "to give something back to the community" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭biddyteabags

The police are scared! Plain and Simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

letting animals out of the zoo? should be some craic at the polar bear enclosure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

BBC News: Reports show that the only buildings left untouched by these rioters are the labour exchanges. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Breaking news - Reports of youths heading to westminster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Well it is AH.

They can't be allowed run-riot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ealing Shopping centre on fire according to BBC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Fire at Ealing Shopping Center

RobitTV wrote: »

source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC OF LONDON!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

very cool, we might finally see some real action from the authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I was referring to the Rodney King riots there - I'm not claiming any African Americans have been looting in the streets of London! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

They say that every society is three smartphones away from anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Cash Converters are going to be busy tomorrow.

• Advertisement

They can't be allowed run-riot :D

mayhem the mods have lost all power :D

Advertisement