Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

OPENROAD wrote: »
    source?

Maybe they want to be on time for their COBRA meeting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The police are scared! Plain and Simple!

Police in riot gear are scared of a punch of teenagers in tracksuits?

I never...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah look at somalia and all the rioting that is going on over there at the moment. Do you see many starving people in those pictures of London as I see people who havent gone without many meals

You appear to be having a fit of stupid, the phrase refers to western urban society and how quickly social order can break down. The meals (be they three or nine) are merely shorthand for when the everyday certainties we expect to work seamlessly suddenly cease to work at all. Riots follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

source?

Troll.ie, i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

mayhem the mods have lost all power :D

I must say it is hard to keep up :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

blackdog2 wrote: »
    Maybe they want to be on time for their COBRA meeting?

AH so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I don't believe anyone is saying these riots reflect the views of all black people at all. Only the mindless few, who feel they are somehow doing a great service to the memory of the murdered man involved.

However, it is naive to say there is no racial aspect to this at all. Would you say the same about the Rodney King riots? Again, those riots were carried out by a largely African American contingent too?

I think the miscreants you see on the streets are an approximate reflection of the social/economic realities in London and in fact most of England. Most of the rioters are admittedly non-white simply because they are in majority of the society that would feel the effects of the recession, police brutality, cuts in services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

How come theres no helicopters up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Even if they are black, don't know why you are jumping to the conclusion that this is race related. As said from the pictures I have been watching it is pretty mixed, that said, I tend not see color in a person.

Again look at the pictures of the riots in Tottenham , a mixed crowd, you can't comapre it to NI, unless you are saying that both Catholic and Protestant joined forces in attacking the police there?

The trouble in London at the moment has no comparison with NI or the Rodney King riots

I call B.S.

You can't deny there's a substantial percetage of black people. It might not be convenient for the PC brigade, but reality would suggest that white people are mostly spectating whereas black people are mostly the ones doing the most damage.

There's no absolute truth here, but to claim that all races are equally to blame is utter B.S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Horgan wrote: »
    Ealing Shopping centre on fire according to BBC!

Where? Is that supposed to be a famous landmark or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Horgan wrote: »
    Ealing Shopping centre on fire according to BBC!
    paconnors wrote: »
    Fire at Ealing Shopping Center

Appears to be according to someone who is currently not even in the area.

Either way, the whole situation is now out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

df1985 wrote: »
    letting animals out of the zoo? should be some craic at the polar bear enclosure.

They should have 100 polar bears and 100 tigers for situations like this. Parachute them in to the trouble spots, watch the mobs disperse. Put cameras on the animals heads so Sky have something interesting to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Nope, it's a f ucking massive place though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

paconnors wrote: »
    How come theres no helicopters up

The media have been told to reign in live coverage as it only encourages the scum (it also gives the crims useful information)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Whoever took that photo they are showing on Sky News is going to be loaded

Several newspapers all using the same photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I was referring to the Rodney King riots there - I'm not claiming any African Americans have been looting in the streets of London! :D

Yeah, realised that. Was just kidding.
    The wording of your post happened to suggest it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I think the miscreants you see on the streets are an approximate reflection of the social/economic realities in London and in fact most of England. Most of the rioters are admittedly non-white simply because they are in majority of the society that would feel the effects of the recession, police brutality, cuts in services.

I really think I'm going to have to start counting the faces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,502 ✭✭✭touts

I'm not saying it is only black people involved (although it is fair to say the vast majority being shown on the newsclips I am watching are black), you will always get thugs of every race joining in just for something to do.

However, the incident that triggered the riots was a racially based one. If it had been a white guy, do you think we would be seeing these same scenes right now?

These riots are most certainly based on a racial issue - just as the NI riots were based on a sectarian one.

This is not a race issue it is a scum issue. Society has become far too tolerant of scum be they black white Brian Irish English or whatever. The scum are looting because they know they will get away with it. They have no respect for society but will wrap the race flag around then when it comes to trial. Dont make excuses for them. Send in the army.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

coonecb1 wrote: »
    I call B.S.

You can't deny there's a substantial percetage of black people. It might not be convenient for the PC brigade, but reality would suggest that white people are mostly spectating whereas black people are mostly the ones doing the most damage.

There's no absolute truth here, but to claim that all races are equally to blame is utter B.S.

You sir are a racist - I win liberal high -fives for me, push my thanks button.

*I was being sarcastic, I actually agree with coonecb1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Video of a woman pouring scorn on the rioters scum.

http://www.twitvid.com/4JTZH

• They're rioting in Camden now, by the Camden Lock. Lots of small businesses around there. Camden Town and Camden Road stations closed, also Chalk Farm is closed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,954 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

mikemac wrote: »
    Whoever took that photo they are showing on Sky News is going to be loaded

Several newspapers all using the same photo.

Whats the picture of ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Nation 98 wrote: »
    And these are basically the same working class lads that are hailed as heroes for bombing and murdering hundreds of people when they're fighting wars in foreign countries. Yet they break a few windows and set a few buildings on fire and they're barbarians.

The people who join the army are not these people.
    I completely agree with Queen Mise on this one. These people may not be watching Bloomberg but the stories on Bloomberg seep down to the lowest classes in society. These are people who have no money and no way to progress out of their situation. Why would these young people aim to go to college when there is no point. They cant afford it and the cuts are severely limiting college options. Why would they look for work when there is no work to be gotten? Their situation is hopeless and i think that the Duggan issue lit the touchpaper really.
    What is happening now is brazen criminality and should be condemned. But there are forces driving this and simply saying "scumbags" is ignoring the problem.
    KINGVictor wrote: »

Horse-poo. The people who suffer in recessions are the people who actually work and lose their jobs ( and possibly their houses). Like Middle Income Ireland , not the perennial unemployed. The "under-privileged" losers are living in a world city, all around them are people who actually left their homes in Poland, HUngary, Somalia, Turkey and increasingly Ireland to build businesses and work. These are the businesses the massively over-coddled parasites are now burning down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

scopper wrote: »
    No actually - why would stone throwing be terrorism? When the blow up a building and kill 20 people then get back to me.

It's something I would love to ask the UK government. Perhaps it's only terrorism when it's in NI and people with certain names are using it.

Just out of interest, is blowing up a building after a warning terrorism? I would say yes. I would also say that burning buildings out with no warning is probably worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's a big **** off massive shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

What gets me about this is where it seems to have sprung from nowhere.
    Were there any portents of this recently.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    You sir are a racist - I win liberal high -fives for me, push my thanks button.

*I was being sarcastic, I actually agree with coonecb1

You do know you can be right wing and still say it is not race related.

Advertisement