Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

More of chance of easier to convict instead of someone seen walking into a place.

Lets hope they are all made examples of, none of your community service pony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I heard they've set fire to Paris :eek:

But seriously, some of the rumours are getting a bit outlandish

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My local Boots has been looted, and the looters have taken all the imodium. Not even joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Reports coming in of Ross Kemp being deployed. We'll get great footage and interviews with the 'Ringleader'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Did they burn any Dole Offices yet ? I doubt they will.

I think they attacked a job centre actually!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

Electric Ballroom in Camden has been smashed up. What a shame, its a cool club.

Camden is stuck in 1982 it's like every genuine punk goth and rasta moved to there to collect their pensions. Or never left but fairly certain this is just modern chav driven, they are realizing they have very little uncommon with each other essentially carbon copy proles and have decided to join forces. now swelled to about 90% of youth nationwide. Not to mention the older ones from the 90's a vast majority of whom are their parents. Easily the majority of the population this is the endgame in effect...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Fill the water cannon with piss..

Tennents lager?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

An English Times paper write-up tomorrow/today (Tuesday):
    ‘The only thing I want to know — where are the police?’

The shopkeeper could only watch helplessly. Three hooded youths wielding a newspaper stand battered down the door of his Spar shop. Dozens followed the three into the shop, snatching cigarettes, alcohol and anything else of value.

One hooded youth skipped out of the shop saying: “Anyone want an ice cream?”

“Twenty-five years of my life and I’ve never seen this,” the shopkeeper from Hackney wailed. “I’ve seen my whole life go. I only want to know, where are the police?” His frustration and fear were echoed across the capital last night as swaths of the city were set on fire and with the police seemingly powerless to prevent violence and looting.

The trouble ignited in Hackney, East London, in mid-afternoon as hundreds of hooded and masked youths clashed with police officers in a series of flashpoints with dozens of missiles including bottles and bricks aimed at the thin blue lines.

Cars were set alight, buses striving to keep their services moving were vandalised, recycling bins were emptied for missiles, and rioters laid waste to property. As darkness fell, the violence increased with several reports of members of the public being targeted by mobs of rampaging youths.

Lewisham and Peckham in southeast London were, along with Hackney, some of the worst areas affected, although the violence spread to Outer London as the evening progressed, with several buildings set on fire in Croydon.

Many rail and Tube stations, from Harrow in the west to Barking in the east, were closed and surrounding streets cordoned off during the evening as pockets of disturbances emerged.

In Hackney, residents were furious at the ease with which the rioters gained control of the streets. Hannah Lee, 25, a sales executive, said: “I think it’s disgusting, it’s atrocious. People live around here. I came home from work early because of this. Why aren’t the police stopping it happen?”

Periodically, the lines of riot officers would attempt to advance but were repelled by missile-throwing youths. One resident, a 35-year-old actress who gave her name as Ida, said: “I was absolutely terrified. I was in my house and I could see and hear a gang of people walking past, gangs of youths running down the road with bricks and sticks and loads of shouting and screaming.

“I was too scared to stand by the windows because I thought they might smash them. I think they are very angry, but it’s pretty mindless.”

Another resident, Alex Hatjoullis, 34, said: “I was worried that my street was on fire. It went down to virtually zero visibility and it was scary.”

In the early evening, a bus in Peckham was set on fire while in nearby Lewisham lines of parked cars were torched. As the streets were surrendered by the police the disturbances spread through wider areas, with groups targeting premises and moving on.

There were also reports of random attacks on members of the public. One woman said that her husband was pulled off his motorbike by a mob as he drove home in South London. “About a dozen dragged him off his bike and beat him up. They took his bike. He is in a real state. This is just criminality plain and simple. They haven’t got a cause.”

One onlooker in Hackney, who gave his name as Martin, 42, said: “Unfortunately this is about as empowered as many of these lads have ever felt in their lives and ever will feel. That’s the real tragedy.”

Media trying to cover the violence were deliberately targeted. One photographer was hit over the head with a glass bottle and pursued by rioters before being dragged away by colleagues. He was later seen in an ambulance, blood streaming from the back of his head.

Other journalists and cameramen had their equipment stolen. In Tottenham, North London, shortly after a peace vigil held by community faith leaders, an ITN van was targeted by a small group of youths. The local MP, David Lammy, was verbally abused.

In Clapham Junction about a hundred hooded youths clashed with police and began looting a branch of Currys. Witnesses said that police officers had struggled to gain control and did not intervene to prevent them. Many shops in the area, including Waitrose and Marks & Spencer, closed early after being warned about trouble in the area.

Dozens of youths laid waste to property hundreds of yards from the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, East London, and scuffled with riot police. They threw stones and bricks across the road and smashed in a bus shelter.

The local Sainsbury superstore had been turning customers away as a precaution since about 5pm The nearby Anchor Retail Park, which includes branches of PC World and Halfords, was barricaded by three police vans and policemen with riot shields.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I'd imagine we'll soon be seeing reports of the carnage caused by the recently freed zoo animals :p

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Any ideas where in Kilburn? Can hear a lot of cops going by.

Kilburn High Road ws all I got - don't know what end.

Camden is getting really bad now - fires around the station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Nope, it was opportunist scum that started this.
    what when they shot yer man duggan,yeah yer right,sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Basically the situation is out of control 1000's upon 1000's of people have looted burnt shops caused choas.

Sky news are now saying man shot and injured during violence in croydon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Surely these events must be a while coming? They are hardly totally spontaneoues?

Yeah, the whole gang member being shot dead is the "official" story but there's definitely a whole lot of things at play here and not just one guy being killed by the police (which is a terrible thing in itself).

If I were into conspiracies I might suggest that these people are attempting to begin a revolution... all sorts of stories that the authorities are trying to hide. In reality it's probably due mainly to economic hardships and this murder by the police just set things off as the last straw.

If they are being trodden by the police everywhere they go and an innocent man is murdered, I say fair play to them. I know many people here would strongly disagree with that, but governments can and do get way out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

RT @guardian: Riots breaking out in Camden, Notting Hill + Colliers Wood: get LIVE updates on #LondonRiots now http://gu.com/p/3x4he/tw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Balloon Of a fish in C.

Someone seen this coming years ago .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123355/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

lads get the c.v's ready...plenty of jobs rebuilding london! were saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Stinicker wrote: »
    Whether it is race related or not it is pretty obvious black people are the majority of the looters and are vastly over represented in the riot compared to their percentage of the population!

I think it depends what people are rioting about really...

and I dont think you can conclusively opine that majority of 'looters' are 'black' unless you are basing your assumptions on posts on AH or you have good evidence to support your assertion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

• Registered Users Posts: 46 macbrada

marcsignal wrote: »
    +1

Rioters should be warned by loudhaler, and by newsflash, that:

"If they do not disperse peacefully by 02:00hrs, they are endangering their own lives".

At 02:00hrs the Army/Riot Police should be deployed, first letting loose about 100 angry attack dogs on the crowd, followed by a volley of batton rounds and a charge of 500 Army/Riot Police personnel swinging batons a plenty, until the street is awash with blood and teeth.

Nobody should get out of the kill zone without broken bones.

Well said!! But followed up by sterilising survivors to ensure no future generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Building on fire opposite the Debenhams stores in Clapham, reporter on BBC News now. Looting went on for over an hour.

Irish BBC reporter was saying it was predominantly black rioters but noticed more whites at it today.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Breaking into houses now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

00.01 Police have called in air support from Sussex and Surrey. Shops are burning in Clapham and Notting Hill. Cars have been torched in Fulham Broadway. The Ledbury Michelin-star restaurant in Notting Hill was raided and the diners mugged. There are reports on Twitter of people carrying machetes in Notting Hill and Balham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Everything is gonna be ok Gazza has arrived in London with a fishing rod and a chicken sandwich.

Rioters now breaking into peoples houses

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

lads get the c.v's ready...plenty of jobs rebuilding london! were saved!

Taking jobs off local builders :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If they are being trodden by the police everywhere they go and an innocent man is murdered, I say fair play to them..

They are not hurting the police. And while some may get injured all will get overtime and valuable training

If they've an issue with the government go to government buildings.
    If they are angry over their situation I'd understand them going to affluent areas and the city centre.

But they are burning and trashing their own areas :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I'm curious as to whats going on at Buckingham Palace and Westminster, have extra police been deployed there in anticipation of unrest?

Shocking news =

00.01 Police have called in air support from Sussex and Surrey. Shops are burning in Clapham and Notting Hill. Cars have been torched in Fulham Broadway. The Ledbury Michelin-star restaurant in Notting Hill was raided and the diners mugged. There are reports on Twitter of people carrying machetes in Notting Hill and Balham.

Thats a horrible fought Machetes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

That guy who was originally killed seems to be a kind of Franz Ferdinand figure - the final spark to an inevitable conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Funkfield wrote: »
    Read them The Riot Act.

It's a pity it was scrapped in 1973, it should be in use now.

These lowlife are waging a war on civilised society.
    Society should respond in kind, by waging a war on them.

Advertisement