Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Plenty of police about but just that you don't see them.

In the coming days doors will be kicked in and plenty of arrests made and rightly so.

Yes but many are wearing hoodies and balaclavas to cloak themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Lirange wrote: »
    They're still looting this morning in Wood Green. No police in sight.

I was about to make a joke about how these 'bright young things' left the bookshops unlooted, but then I realised there wasn't any bookshops on the route. There hasn't been a one on that high street for 4 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Send the army in? That's the sort of thing they do in Greece or Syria with predictable results. Unless things are truly bad you never attack citizens with their own army.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

On Sky News at the moment, local don't know nothing about nothing,
    hoodies laughing it up, scumbags.

Think the Police might want to borrow a water cannon truck or two from Northern Ireland.
    The Tottenham Hoodie Gang won't be smiling night time they go "shoping".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Yes but many are wearing hoodies and balaclavas to cloak themselves.
    These fcukers are not smart enough for the system.

They will leave finger prints and at some stage will remove their face coverage.

The UK authorities have perhaps the most advanced CCTV network in the world. Once they can digitally latch on to a suspect they can follow them through other CCTV cameras along the line. Many of the latest generation cameras are fully compatible with 3D face recognition. I doubt that any of these scumbags are first time offenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Whats sad aswell is that the staff in these shops that are burnt to the ground won't be getting work for a long time now probably :(

Ironically caused by people who have more than likely been on the dole for life :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Never said it was right but I won't condemn it. If you had police hassling you all the time I'm sure you'd feel aggrieved about it. It's been coming and it won't be the last time something like this happens.

Even if that were true, you think the answer is to go burn down the area and steal runners and tvs?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

These fcukers are not smart enough for the system.

They will leave finger prints and at some stage will remove their face coverage.

The UK authorities have perhaps the most advanced CCTV network in the world. Once they can digitally latch on to a suspect they can follow them through other CCTV cameras along the line. Many of the latest generation cameras are fully compatible with 3D face recognition. I doubt that any of these scumbags are first time offenders.

CCTV can be helpful and doubtless it will lead to some being apprehended. But for feck sake this isn't CSI. You really think they're going to track down most of these yob mobs with fingerprints? Most of the stuff they got their hands on they absconded with into the night. Loads of them are going to get away with it unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Never said it was right but I won't condemn it. If you had police hassling you all the time I'm sure you'd feel aggrieved about it. It's been coming and it won't be the last time something like this happens.

If you are being hassled because you carry a gun and occasionally shoot people, you deserve to be hassled.
    On my planet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

They're still looting this morning in Wood Green. No police in sight.

That shop called "Loot" is just asking for it, innit bruv!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Are you for fookin real??? A low life drug dealer trys to execute a police officer and you call that police harassment.You my friend are a clown and an Idiot..Wake up in the real world..

5T3PH3N wrote: »

You'd think so, but the irony is it's probably safe because they can't read.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I love the way so many people can make up their minds regarding the facts of this case so quickly with damn all evidence to go on.

Yeah I know. Few people on this thread diving straight in and saying the police are in the wrong, roaming in gangs murdering poor innocent locals all the time and this lovely, community orientated guy was shot in cold blood by them. Amazing how everyone knows its all the police's fault.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I love the way so many people can make up their minds regarding the facts of this case so quickly with damn all evidence to go on.

Apart from 1 shot policeman, and one dead criminal.

5T3PH3N wrote: »

Not really the type of "Flash mob" T-Mobile are used to...

• LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Cumulative effect of years of police brutality on working class areas. Doesn't really matter if the lad had a gun or not, this was a spark that was inevitable. Events like this will become more common as the world economic situation continues to deteriorate. I don't condone violence for violence's sake but I can't condemn working class kids for fighting the police.

It doesn't matter if he had a gun? Police just randomly attack working class people? What planet are you on?
    And if the police are found to have killed that chap for no other reason than they tend to commit the odd racially motivated murder of a poor person then I hope the same happens to them too. These people aren't angry for the craic you know.

The guy was widely known to be a weapon carrying drug dealer. And yes, plenty of people in London have a victim complex and love to be angry for the craic. God forbid you even look at someone the 'wrong' way around here and you'll be accusing of 'disrespecting' them and threatened.

If you act like scumbags, you can expect the police to hassle you. Both my parents are from working class estates, I live in a working class area and there is little to no trouble here.
    iguana wrote: »
    Maybe, maybe not. I always found the local police fine but the Met has a history of killing people through heavy handedness and then coving it up with blatant lies. Jean Charles de Menezes and Ian Tomlinson in the last few years. So even if they are 100% on the level about what happened to Mark Duggan it's not surprising that his friends, family and others believe otherwise. It's not surprising that there was a protest this evening.

However most people involved in this riot don't give a shít about Duggan. They just want a smash up. How exactly is setting fire to a German discount supermarket, that their mothers' probably rely on or stealing a telly from Currys going to make the police confess to an unlawful killing or make them stop oppressing them? It's not, it will only make things worse.

True. Being suspicious is fair enough, but rioting and looting just supports the perception that these guys are scumbags. There will be lots of shopkeepers and local business people waking up this morning to find their whole lives destroyed, for no reason at all. There might be fatalities, innocent people who lived above the business that were set alight. If these mindless thugs were so appalled that the police took a life, why don't they give a sh*t about putting so many others in danger?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Are you for fookin real??? A low life drug dealer trys to execute a police officer and you call that police harassment.You my friend are a clown and an Idiot..Wake up in the real world..

If you ask me, the police handled the situation too passively, from the coverage I saw.

There seemed to be more than enough paddy wagons at the scene,
    and they should have taken out the batons and contained the situation.

CCTV can be helpful and doubtless it will lead to some being apprehended. But for feck sake this isn't CSI. You really think they're going to track down most of these yob mobs with fingerprints? Most of the stuff they got their hands on they absconded with into the night. Loads of them are going to get away with it unfortunately.
    Yes and the UK cops will take all this deadly serious as they always do when dealing with repeat offending yobs.

Its not just CCTV they will be watching, also UTube uploads, the public and press surrendering camera shots etc. You might even get some idiot foolish enough to boast about his actions on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thought to myself when I read the thread title - fúck that must be one big ATM machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

True. Being suspicious is fair enough, but rioting and looting just supports the perception that these guys are scumbags. There will be lots of shopkeepers and local business people waking up this morning to find their whole lives destroyed, for no reason at all. There might be fatalities, innocent people who lived above the business that were set alight. If these mindless thugs were so appalled that the police took a life, why don't they give a sh*t about putting so many others in danger?

You can't assume cohesive goals in that manner. It's more than likely the actually rioting was started by a few opportunistic **** and then joined by more rather than the vast majority of people who would have been there to protest for the original reasons.

As has already been pointed out, there is currently enormous tension between people in area's of London and the police, there are numerous campaigns and marches ongoing about the death of people in police custody...including many young people who are dying in the care services.

The is an ongoing and serious breakdown of trust between citizens and this was basically a spark on a dry pile of hay that has been doused in petrol.

As such, campaigns of this nature will always attract people who have no interest in the cause and every interest in taking a shot at the cops or just thieving. You need only look at the looting that occurred miles from the riot last night to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

don't condone violence for violence's sake but I can't condemn working class kids for fighting the police.

Don't worry. I can, so I'll do it for you.

If the police are shown to have done something wrong, then they can go ahead and protest that. Rioting because, on first sight, the police were doing what they pay their taxes for and it was a legitimate shootout, is daft.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

There is nothing political nor can one justify the mayhem and intimidation that young thugs wreak upon localities and people who may be even materially worse off than the wreckers.There are many instances in this state of mindless thuggery perpetrated by not so hungry social parasites on their own neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

black people..huh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I assume plenty of plastic/rubber bullets were used last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

It is going to be Ireland in twenty odd years folks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The guy was widely known to be a weapon carrying drug dealer. And yes, plenty of people in London have a victim complex and love to be angry for the craic. God forbid you even look at someone the 'wrong' way around here and you'll be accusing of 'disrespecting' them and threatened.

The fact is that that there is loads of oppression in Tottenham. But that oppression is not caused by the Met, it's caused by the type of scumbags who rioted last night. They make life intolerable for so many of the ordinary people who are just trying to get on with their lives. The man in his 80s who lived 2 doors down from me had a knife held to his throat by the little scut who lived nextdoor to him because he had the audacity to ask him to stop throwing rubbish in his garden. That's oppression. The police coming out and giving the guy an ASBO for such behaviour is not.

Another big problem in Tottenham is that it's an area that is recognised for containing the most multi-cultural square mile in the world. Which sounds very nice, but it isn't. It sounds weird when you first hear of it, but international tensions often lead to violence in the area. For example, along certain areas there are often running battles between Turkish and Kurdish gangs, with large fights and occasional murders.

The Met have their hands tied in how they deal with things. They have to walk a tightrope between protecting ordinary people and setting off nights like last night. And tbh they aren't really doing enough for ordinary people who really do have a very hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

amacachi wrote: »
    I assume plenty of plastic/rubber bullets were used last night.

I hope so, from the limited repeated footage on sky news, you get the impression the the police held back during the riot, but this is probably 1% of what was actually went on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

Watching it on BBC now. Could not help noticing some bloke who was holding a baby. Ok thats normal and good parenting its 1am at night and there is a riot and he is standing there with a feckn baby. :rolleyes:

maybe his house has just been burned down

• Advertisement

Show Time wrote: »
    It is going to be Ireland in twenty odd years folks.

Agreed.

Advertisement