Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Biggins wrote: »
    Sky just showing live footage apparently.

This is shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Reports of a Police Station on fire in Brum..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

An ITV News trainee's twitter account from Liverpool

http://twitter.com/#!/benschofield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I didn't catch the name of it, sorry. He sounded awesome though.. like a heroic Ed Byrne.
    Actually he sounded like a very pissed off fr jack ...poor man

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Obviously the cops on the mainland don't have Land Rovers like the lads in NI, I'd say one of them would've lost it and driven through the fcukers by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

But why the violence ?
    Government ? pay cuts?

The UK and the world in general has built society's in which people are going to turn to this sort of violence more and more.

They are a lost, bored, scared bunch who feel cut-off from those in power (politically and economically) and feel they have no "voice", any spark could have set this off and any flag or cause will be waved to justify it.

They are wrong to be doing this, they should cop on and find some meaning in their lives, but.... it's a sign of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I guess that's what happens when you don't allow your police officers to carry weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Every cloud has a silver lining.

I just got a great deal on a big fecking HD television on ebay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Liverpool at it now, Gerrard in front lines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

amacachi wrote: »
    Obviously the cops on the mainland don't have Land Rovers like the lads in NI, I'd say one of them would've lost it and driven through the fcukers by now.
    And you can be sure that many will have wAnted to do just that ..

Cars on fire in Liverpool city centre ..FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Army+Rubber bullets = Good night rioters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The footage just on SKy was from London, not Liverpool like they claimed.

http://yfrog.com/0wtduz

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Police in Liverpool are just being walked over.. completely outnumbered by the knackers. They're being forced down a street as if they were the rioters =o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

the cops beat the **** out of the students and then seemingly took a more hands off approach when this kicked off. Were they just scared off the chavs and nots the students or is this something more sinister...

Students tend not to be perceived as carrying a concealed firearm or a blade...and disenfranchised youth tend not to attack Tory party HQ or high profile city centre buildings.

As for the conspiracy stuff (as much as I usually prescribe), this is just a case of cops caught short, spread thin and being on the backfoot....in the face of a sudden dawning among the rioters, that they can do wtf they like, which they are thriving on...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Hopefully the scum here in Dublin won't get any ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Anybody else notice Joey barton in the front line of the rioters in Liverpool??? :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

LOL UPC ...running SEX Phone Line Adverts on SkyNews:D

The anchorwoman on Sky News sounds absolutely exhausted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I guess that's what happens when you don't allow your police officers to carry weapons.

Well they were wrecking Clapham for a long time before the police arrived - what difference would them having guns have made when they weren't even there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

argosy2006 wrote: »
    Liverpool at it now, Gerrard in front lines

We have our Irish connection now

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BooYa

It wouldn't surprise me though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I know there is probably meaning in what Sky news is saying but how exactly do you raise a public building to the ground by fire?
    Did the fire push it up out of the basement?

(There probably is a proper explanation but it just sounds weird every time they say it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

They say Liverpool is like Dublin.. not suggesting it will reach here but see how the Liverpool variant of Brit skanger look exactly like the Dublin ones?!! I see their point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

As has been said before, whatever criticism I may have of the Gardaí, they always make sure that if things do get out of hand they get out of hand in their favour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The anchorwoman on Sky News sounds absolutely exhausted.

3 nights in riot gear - I'd say the police are fair fúcked aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Alot of young irish living in the ealing area,Very worrying for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Is anyone even slightly afraid that it's actually the rage virus from 28 days later?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Wertz wrote: »
    Desperate times? lol none of those hoodies look hungry to me. It's a mass hysteria free for all, which has been fueled by modern technology...and I'm far from the conservative type or the sort to label the original guy who was shot as scum who deserved it.
    This stopped being about race late on saturday night...

In Greece recently there was rioting in the streets, damage done, and it wasn't just the lower class or "scumbags" who were doing it, it was the middle class and ordinary folk who had had enough of their government and their banks, nobody got hurt, and frankly I wish the people of Ireland had the courage to do the same sometimes.

Now maybe these people doing it aren't the brightest or don't have the most organized approach to this, but it shows a widespread dissatisfaction in the lives of these people and they have found anarchy to be the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rioting starting in Belfast i hear.

Also 1400 police on the street in London tonight, 5000 for the royal wedding apparently.

Advertisement