Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

http://yfrog.com/ki67btjj
    Liverpool going up in flames now aswell by the looks of it.....christ almighty!
    http://twitter.com/#!/damiontucker23

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Army+Rubber bullets = Good night rioters.
    In fairness, it didn't exactly work too well in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Well they were wrecking Croyden for a long time before the police arrived - what difference would them having guns have made when they weren't even there.

At least police wouldn't constantly have to back off.
    Honestly, I've seen some riots in Belgium and cops don't mess about, out come the batons, the dogs, the watercannon, the tear-gas,...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

CANNOT believe what is going on tonight! The police are stretched to the max and Sky news are basically saying that any "yoke" in the area "do what ya like cos nobody will get ya". Im actually dumbfounded watchin the news now...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Lets hope the Dubs do well in the Hurling & Football Semi Finals to create a happy vibe in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Biggins wrote: »
    I know there is probably meaning in what Sky news is saying but how exactly do you raise a public building to the ground by fire?
    Did the fire push it up out of the basement?

(There probably is a proper explanation but it just sounds weird every time they say it)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/raze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

amacachi wrote: »
    As has been said before, whatever criticism I may have of the Gardaí, they always make sure that if things do get out of hand they get out of hand in their favour.

Agreed.

I also think the Irish Government wouldn't pussyfoot around with the scum and would give the Guards free reign to 'end the trouble the way you see fit'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

They should call in Homer with the snow plow:

"Mr. Plow, that's my name. That name again, is Mr. Plow".

He'd clear the scum off the streets in no time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

All football cancelled tomorrow because of the riots...except Millwall and Leeds who have declared it "Ladies Day."

I get the Millwall reference, but why Leeds :confused:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Rioting starting in Belfast i hear.

Also 1400 police on the street in London tonight, 5000 for the royal wedding apparently.

You can see where their priorities are!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I know there is probably meaning in what Sky news is saying but how exactly do you raise a public building to the ground by fire?

(There probably is a proper explanation but it just sounds weird every time they say it)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/raze ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Raze not raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Raze not raise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Liverpool now? Oh please don't come here. I want to be able to go to the shops and actually pay for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Wertz wrote: »
    Students tend not to be perceived as carrying a concealed firearm or a blade...and disenfranchised youth tend not to attack Tory party HQ or high profile city centre buildings.

As for the conspiracy stuff (as much as I usually prescribe), this is just a case of cops caught short, spread thin and being on the backfoot....in the face of a sudden dawning among the rioters, that they can do wtf they like, which they are thriving on...

true re the first. but i just dont know about the second, its a nice excuse to step up policing and divert money from social programmes to the police force...

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Liverpool now? Oh please don't come here. I want to be able to go to the shops and actually pay for stuff.

Why, just take it for free:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Cop station alight in B'ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

Hopefully the scum here in Dublin won't get any ideas!

Well It doesn't take a 'scumbag'. Anyone would riot if their caged was rattled enought. I noticed since the recession Dublin has got much angerier and there is a lot more tension than before.

Agreed.

I also think the Irish Government wouldn't pussyfoot around with the scum and would give the Guards free reign to 'end the trouble the way you see fit'.

The Gardai would wade in with a few scelps of a hurl. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

It's not "raise".

It's "raze"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OPENROAD wrote: »
    So tempted to use the roll eyes here but I won't :(

Yep, smug fecker!

1:46 in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

DominoDub wrote: »
    Lets hope the Dubs do well in the Hurling & Football Semi Finals to create a happy vibe in the city.
    I'd prefer a riot tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The anchorwoman on Sky News sounds absolutely exhausted.

They talked to her on the phone as she was on her way in. She got caught up in a lot of it and got lost around London trying to get to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Raze not raise.
    Aaaa... that explains it. I knew there was a decent reason. :)

Every time (every 10 minutes) Sky says it, it sounds like "raise" instead of "raZe".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's not raise but raze which means to level to the ground.

Agreed.

That'll be amusing : " Ah cmon, get away outta that will ya, get out of it ya pup ya!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Raze...

[edit] beaten to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

These stupid scum are everywhere tonight they are driving around in cars with a smile on their face :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Central distribution centre for Sony has been hit.

Advertisement