Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    I was about to make a joke about how these 'bright young things' left the bookshops unlooted, but then I realised there wasn't any bookshops on the route. There hasn't been a one on that high street for 4 years now.

There's a WH Smith in Wood Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

the peaceful vigil by the family of the man shot by the police was hijacked by a scumbag mob who took advantage of the situation to cause as much damage , destruction and to loot . The majority of the residents in Tottenham did not ask for this nor do they not want to see a repeat of it again .

The police were caught unprepared and their first piority was the safety of the public and prevent further property from being destroyed .Had they had more numbers last night I think you might have seen snatch squads take more of the hooligans out of the game .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

J. Marston wrote: »
    That's a powerful crystal ball you have there.
    The English are still struggling with multiculturalism after how many odd years? It's a whole new ball game here in Ireland and as a nation we are bound to suffer the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Show Time wrote: »
    The English are still struggling with multiculturalism after how many odd years? It's a whole new ball game here in Ireland and as a nation we are bound to suffer the same.

What has "multiculturalism" got to do with anything here....?

Nodin wrote: »
    When a certain section of our populace felt they were discriminated against by society and the police, they started a world wide "terrorist" campaign that went on for 30 or so years. You may have missed this when you were reading tea leaves to see the future.
    I think you missed the point not not to worry.

• Advertisement

What has "multiculturalism" got to do with anything here....?
    It will in twenty years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭decembersun77

iguana wrote: »
    Most of Tottenham is actually lovely, the houses are lovely big red-brick victorians, the parks are fantastic and very well maintained, it's on the Lea Valley which is gorgeous. The council is Haringey which is just about the best council in London so the facilities, gyms, libraries, etc, are top-notch for a low council tax.

Couldn't say the same for Dublin. It most be awful for the good people living there, they would be too afraid to step outside seeing that.

It will in twenty years.

By "here" I meant the subject of the thread - the riot in Tottenham. What has "multiculturalism" got to do with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

How long did the rioters in Tottenham hold out for?

By "here" I meant the subject of the thread - the riot in Tottenham. What has "multiculturalism" got to do with that?
    It has everything to do with it. There are ghettos over in London i would not drop a SEAL team into unless they were fully tooled up and Ireland will head that way as well. Not everyone respects the rule of law and when you have people from other countries living with there own system of beliefs in another country then you are in trouble.

• Advertisement

It has everything to do with it you fool. There are ghettos over in London i would not drop a SEAL team into unless they were fully tooled up and Ireland will head that way as well. Not everyone respects the rule of law and when you have people from other countries living with there own system of beliefs in another country then you are in trouble.

...not sure what you're talking about here. Last night there was a riot in a 'rough' area of london, because a local head the ball was shot.

What "other countries" and "system of beliefs" are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

About 5 police vans with sirens blaring just went speeding past here. Hope it's not kicking off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Blisterman wrote: »
    About 5 police vans with sirens blaring just went speeding past here. Hope it's not kicking off again.
    Hopefully not ,I think the police will be better prepared tonight .

One thing you do notice when staying in London is the continious police sirens you hear around the clock , especially at weekends which is very much the norm there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Cumulative effect of years of police brutality on working class areas. Doesn't really matter if the lad had a gun or not, this was a spark that was inevitable. I don't condone violence for violence's sake but I can't condemn working class kids for fighting the police.

Richard Boyd Barrett would be proud.

The yoof are apathetic to the chronic knife crime and gang related violence which has left many of their crew bleed onto the streets of the borough.

They're far more likely to suffer brutality at the hands of their own contemporaries than the police - where's the mobilised groundswell and indignation to stymie that madness?

Seizing on an opportunity to fcuk something at the cops and grab a new pair of Nike through a store window, the mob are afforded a faux nobility for rising up against social injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Couldn't say the same for Dublin. It most be awful for the good people living there, they would be too afraid to step outside seeing that.

I feel sick thinking about what some of my old neighbours must be going through. I was in tears looking at the footage this afternoon. I actually loved Tottenham, I felt it had amazing potential to be a fantastic area. I'm not kidding about how great the facilities are and how well the public spaces were maintained by the council. But after a few years living there the constant tension became unbearable. I'm very glad I moved.

Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Cumulative effect of years of police brutality on working class areas. Doesn't really matter if the lad had a gun or not, this was a spark that was inevitable. Events like this will become more common as the world economic situation continues to deteriorate. I don't condone violence for violence's sake but I can't condemn working class kids for fighting the police.

What a load of crud.

Bunch of layabouts too lazy to do anything for themselves expect the taxpayer to support them!!

C'mon man, you would do better to encourage these goons to educate themselves and get qualifications rather than sucking on spliffs and criticising society.

Why the fcuk do you think the police were in there in the first place.??

Jeesh:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

Just saw this on twitter:

A Tottenham lad, to a bunch of hacks by a burned car: "When it's a revolution in Egypt you all go, oh wonderful! Why you dissing us then?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Police are probing rumours circulating on twitter that there are plans to target Enfield and Edmonton tonight. There are claims that trouble has already started in Enfield.
    Was looking through twitter earlier and someone posted up a picture of what is supposed to be one of the looters showing off all their robbed gear - Don't know whether it's fake or just a dumb crim lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I don't know why people think this is a race riot. Look at the photos. There's black, white, Indians and all races rioting together.

Nope, wasn't a race riot, more like a FOOLS riot. Didn't you see all those fools jumping about and running away, giggling and laughing. Good honest Jewish boys as well. What the fark has the world come to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Enfield has already kicked off according to skynews.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Cumulative effect of years of police brutality on working class areas. Doesn't really matter if the lad had a gun or not, this was a spark that was inevitable. Events like this will become more common as the world economic situation continues to deteriorate. I don't condone violence for violence's sake but I can't condemn working class kids for fighting the police.

They wanted to burn things. Local businesses for one. When the police tried to stop them, as they do, they attack them. Much in the same way people say the police aren't liked in poor areas where crime is more likely. Thugs don't like them because they stop them being thugs. Criminals don't like them while decent residents in the area are happy when said criminals are dealt with.

The same decent residents actually managed to hold a peaceful protest in this case. The dead man's family condemned the riots but you wont. The same 'working class kids' took the opportunity to loot shops. That'll teach 'em. I wonder how many jobs were lost last night.

Would you condemn the murder of a police officer by frustrated kids?

Is your view widespread in the United Left Alliance/People Before Profit?

I can't imagine what the reaction to this is going to be.
    Initial ballistics tests on the bullet that lodged in a police officer's radio when Mark Duggan died on Thursday night show it was a police issue bullet, the Guardian understands.

The Guardian's crime correspondent, Sandra Laville, reports:

The revelation will fuel the fury in Tottenham about the killing of Mark Duggan by armed officers.

It also undermines suggestions that there was an exchange of fire between Duggan and the police before he died.

The bullet which was found lodged in the radio of one of the officers at the scene is still undergoing forensic tests. But reliable sources have said the first ballistics examinations suggested it was a police issue bullet.

These are very distinct as the Metropolitan Police uses dum dum type hollowed out bullets designed not to pass through an object.

The early suggestion from the IPCC was that the Met officers had returned fire after someone in the minicab opened fire. But the result of the ballistics early test suggests both shots fired came from the police.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2011/aug/07/tottenham-riots-police-duggan-live#block-44#block-44

A non police issue firearm was found at the scene though.

I sincerely doubt the Met Police would use "dum-dum" bullets though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

iguana wrote: »

Oh look at that! Good to see no-one jumped to any conclusions before now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Why? There's a good excuse for police using them, they're "safer" because once they hit their target there's a much lower chance of the bullet hitting anyone/thing else.

A non police issue firearm was found at the scene though.

If they are standard issue to the Met, exactly what is there to doubt about that?

I can't believe this information was released tonight. They should have waited until at least the morning, if not until the investigation had a few more conclusions. Just knowing where the bullet initially originated from is still inconclusive.

amacachi wrote: »
    Why? There's a good excuse for police using them, they're "safer" because once they hit their target there's a much lower chance of the bullet hitting anyone/thing else.

It doesnt work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Sooopie wrote: »
    Just saw this on twitter:

A Tottenham lad, to a bunch of hacks by a burned car: "When it's a revolution in Egypt you all go, oh wonderful! Why you dissing us then?"

Dont remember anyone in Tahrir square robbing tv's and dvd's though! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

I don't know why people think this is a race riot. Look at the photos. There's black, white, Indians and all races rioting together.

If only society was as racially harmonious as these riots.

that's right. must be at least 10% non-blacks involved. what's the one unifying factor, they all appear to be Hip hopsters. in our future skangers will be moral crusaders against racism, thinking they're fighting the good fight wearing Malcolm x branded clothing like in the 90s whilst immersed in criminality, only railing against something "unjust" when it happens to on of their armed hoods, in their immediate locale

kick a skanger today. They aspire to this sh*t

Advertisement