Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Degag wrote: »
    Man, what about channel 954!!!!

Ha, not looking this time:p:p:p

Nite all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

The worst thing about this is if/when some real protesting needs to be done people with genuine causes will be treated as these people tonight should have been. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

You're right, the whole thing started off over a fatal police shooting, what we need right now is marttial law, police kill a few people...that'll quiten it down
    Public sentiment already appears to be very different now.
    K-9 wrote: »
    Well Sky are saying they are using armoured vans now, makes sense from a police protection point of view.
    From how long it's taken to get them they must've ****in driven them from Belfast. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭YBTurbo

RobitTV wrote: »
    Channel 847 is back and its live from birmingham

Never new that channel existed :) Cheers.

So predications, what do ye think will happen over the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

amacachi wrote: »
    What is the answer then?

I think the police need to be more assertive and block off streets, and corner them.

Certainly use some force and charge them. Just not rubber/plastic bullets as they are inhumane.

I think the problem as well is that the London police are genuinely stretched and do not have enough manpower to cover all areas where trouble has flared.
    Don't forget they need fully trained riot police at each location, not just a normal beat officer who is not trained for riots and will therefore not get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

You're right, the whole thing started off over a fatal police shooting, what we need right now is marttial law, police kill a few people...that'll quiten it down

Logic doesn't play well 'round these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

920 is definitely the nicest

914 isn't bad either though!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Channel 847 is back and its live from birmingham

That police officer seems pissed of at the camera pointing at him.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

ascanbe wrote: »
    Don't worry Mr.sux. The rioters and looters were riotin and lootin' cuz they're black; you made that clear in many of your earlier posts.
    Even though it turned out many of them weren't actually black.
    Are you white? Like those white rioters?
    If so, you should be ashamed of yourself.
    Their actions obviously reflect on all white people..

I never once mentioned race in any of my posts.

906 or 910 would get my vote :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

YBTurbo wrote: »
    Never new that channel existed :) Cheers.

Well from 5am it will start to quiet down and the morning and most of the day will be normal as usual, but i think around 7pm onwards it will kick off again, but depends really it could be a big riot all day tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

You obviously haven't tried 954 yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

In Clapham Junction - the looters broke into a Boots chemist, Sky reporter stepped inside the door and picked up one of the empty boxes - Imodium. I am thankful to know that none of the looters will have upset stomachs for the rest of the night :rolleyes::p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i just watched twilight it was crap :(

If the government is smart they'll announce massive army deployment and there'll be very little happening tomorrow night.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    I think the police need to be more assertive and block off streets, and corner them.

Certainly use some force and charge them. Just not rubber/plastic bullets as they are inhumane.

I think the problem as well is that the London police are genuinely stretched and do not have enough manpower to cover all areas where trouble has flared.
    Don't forget they need fully trained riot police at each location, not just a normal beat office who is not trained for riots and will therefore not get involved.
    Right from the start there were to many rioters in too many different areas to contain. Strong force was necessary and they chose not to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Sky news reports that the Greek riot dog is on it's way from Athens to join the fun..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Helicopter back up in Belfast. Must've been refueling.

Sounds closer than before :/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Public sentiment already appears to be very different now.

From how long it's taken to get them they must've ****in driven them from Belfast. :pac:

Nah we get the special Land Rover ones.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Well im off to bed very tired, night! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭norris_minor

k.p.h wrote: »
    The worst thing about this is if/when some real protesting needs to be done people with genuine causes will be treated as these people tonight should have been. :(

must be delicate with theIr proles, they breed many a potential nationalist and army recruit

real national treasures, they are

• Advertisement

Well from 5am it will start to quiet down and the morning and most of the day will be normal as usual, but i think around 7pm onwards it will kick off again, but depends really it could be a big riot all day tomorrow :(

Yeah, the Police really need to step it up. If people get away with it, they'll be out again tomorrow night.

Must say I was quiet shocked when the louting began, just smashing windows and taking what they want :O

Pics for people who ain't seen them. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8687177/London-riots-live.html

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

Not to worry ye all but the asian markets have practically collapsed! the world is gone pear shaped!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The Real Bolloxology

That is ignorant calling them scumbags , that is only going to label them and they will behave worse according to their label. There are plenty of 'scumbags' in dublin, they are not rioting. They are ver angry people, Many of them would be unemployed, many of them wouldn't of had much of a good upbringing/life and they want to do as much damage as they can do, they are feeding of each other and they feel like they are a part of something.
    It's very sad for the people living there and the people whose houses and businesses have been burnt down. I have been to London twice and I found most places there very friendily and open minded. I never once felt tension while I was there I feel tension every day in Dublin. Although I havn't been to some of the areas where the riots are now.

well i travel to tottenham a couple of times a year and let me tell you it is a ****hole and i come from a rough area in dublin but it is like heaven compared to tottenham. and by the way i am unemployed and angry at the government but i dont riot and steal and use some lame excuse to destroy MY OWN AREA

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If the government is smart they'll announce massive army deployment and there'll be very little happening tomorrow night.

Right from the start there were to many rioters in too many different areas to contain. Strong force was necessary and they chose not to use it.

Don't see what the army can do.

Not sure if they are good for crowd control.

Also don't forget at start, they were rioting over a police incident so police probably had a softly softly approach, without realising it would snowball to this scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

SnowY32 wrote: »
    Not to worry ye all but the asian markets have practically collapsed! the world is gone pear shaped!

Over sell imo

Yeah, the Police really need to step it up. If people get away with it, they'll be out again tomorrow night.

Must say I was quiet shocked when the louting began, just smashing windows and taking what they want :O

Yeah the police were totally outnumbered today and were not doing much overall to control the excessive looting, but there's always tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Degag wrote: »
    You obviously haven't tried 954 yet!

Good jaysus!

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't see what the army can do.

Not sure if they are good for crowd control.

Also don't forget at start, they were rioting over a police incident so police probably had a softly softly approach, without realising it would snowball to this scale.

There would be no crowd to control if they deploy the army early tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Problem is the dollar and the Euro are almost gone so their is a possibility of a financial meltdown. If this happens people are going to be taking to the streets to protest for genuine reasons. That is when you don't want the police to be stepping up and harassing genuine citizens. I reckon it's going to be a very complex situation over the next few weeks. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I never once mentioned race in any of my posts.

Ah, ya did. You certainly hinted at it, at least..

Advertisement