Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lol at the Iranian foreign affairs ministry urging the UK authorities to show "restraint" . . . they must be having a field day.

There's underlying problems in England that wont be addressed... Just like the world economies. It's always a case of dealing with the fallout instead of the cause.

It's easy for us to sit back on our comfy couches and call these people scum but what else would you be if you were born into it... I know I'd be rioting like a dlckhead if I was born into the London lower class instead of the Irish middle class. Why? Why not.. These lads don't give a shlte because they gain no benefit from not doing it. None of us know what that feels like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

There's underlying problems in England that wont be addressed... Just like the world economies. It's always a case of dealing with the fallout instead of the cause.

It's easy for us to sit back on our comfy couches and call these people scum but what else would you be if you were born into it... I know I'd be rioting like a dlckhead if I was born into the London lower class instead of the Irish middle class. Why? Why not.. These lads don't give a shlte because they gain no benefit from not doing it. None of us know what that feels like.

Yeah? Well the Irish middle class has just been destroyed by the financial market and has yet to loot the place.

How come tens of thousands of people go to London to work every year and people born there can't get off their ass?

Sky News are really pushing for the British Army to be on the streets

very dangerous game to play

They need to get the army in and fast and absolutely batter the sh**e out of the scum. Its at the stage now where I would be upset to see them start shooting at them tbh. A few kill shots might make them think twice about keeping it up. It not like a single one of them will be anything but a leech on society for the rest of their lives anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Bollix these scrotes if they wern't rioting would be out mugging grannys , and are despised in the commnuties they come from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I come from an area that would be considered to be not very nice.

I'm now sitting back on a comfy sofa because I worked hard to pay for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

but they dont have an army station in england, they are all on active duty around the world!!

my bro is a training to be a paramedic in London, he has exams all this week i bet he is itching to get out. looks like he would see more action then when he was in the irish army and navy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I disagree, but not with the fundamental problem.

The vast majority of the London lower class are not rioting and would never loot a shop. But this is their problem. They're the people who have no jobs, no hope of moving to a better area, very high social barriers to getting a good education, and very little social mobility. They're the guys who get their dole money, buy their weeks shopping and save up to buy their kids an XBox and Call of Duty at Christmas because all their friends will have one too. These people are exceedingly angry at the government, and absolutely condemn the actions of these looters. But they won't condemn too loudly. They're too well mannered and civil to riot themselves, they've put up with a ****ty situation for all their lives. But the guys rioting and looting, the same kids that denied them their education by being little cúnts in their classrooms, are for once shouting what these normal people are thinking. While these scumbags riot and loot they're telling the press as justification "there's no jobs, there's no money for us." The rioters would never work a day in their lives. But there absolutely are plenty of people far too civilised to riot who are genuinely conflicted because they hate the destruction, but the (facetious) battlecry of the rioters is the genuine grievance of the guys locked in their homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

positron wrote: »
    Probly already posted - facebook video of an injured lad being helped at first and then they rob him just like that.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150333636850851

Effing scum!

For anyone that isn't on Friendface, like me.

I believe this is the video mentioned.

Yahew wrote: »
    Yeah? Well the Irish middle class has just been destroyed by the financial market and has yet to loot the place.

How come tens of thousands of people go to London to work every year and people born there can't get off their ass?
    Get off their ass? You think any of these lads do well in school or have the money for uni? If you're 15 in a rough as fuk area, your number one concern is yourself at that moment, not your future. We'd all be like that if we were born in the wrong estate.. How can you not understand that?
    Bollix these scrotes if they wern't rioting would be out mugging grannys , and are despised in the commnuties they come from.
    So we just ignore the entire issue and just call them scrotes? They're products of a nation.. They have nothing while others have everything. It's not their fault.. Of course they're angry.

You really can't just put the whole thing down to a big coincidence of thousands of dlckheads born in the same area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Lol at the Iranian foreign affairs ministry urging the UK authorities to show "restraint" . . . they must be having a field day.

Well they wag their finger when other countries act in a way that they disapprove of. They should expect to receive the same treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Get off their ass? You think any of these lads do well in school or have the money for uni? If you're 15 in a rough as fuk area, your number one concern is yourself at that moment, not your future. We'd all be like that if we were born in the wrong estate.. How can you not understand that?

sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

So we just ignore the entire issue and just call them scrotes? They're products of a nation.. They have nothing while others have everything. It's not their fault.. Of course they're angry.

You really can't just put the whole thing down to a big coincidence of thousands of dlckheads born in the same area.

Oh no, it is never their fault, always someone else to blame... :rolleyes:

Absurdum wrote: »
    sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about

Yep. Mass rioting in London, I suggest that there's underlying problems and I get told I've no idea what I'm talking about.

Would you stop, they are complete wasters and wouldnt work to save their lives be it in school or in a job. Plenty of people from bad areas do well in school and get themselves good jobs etc. Its 100% their fault and their parents fault for allowing them to develop twisted opinions of society.

Anybody involved in the riots at the moment are nothing but thick, mindless scumbags and they should be absolutely hammered into the ground by the army and police.

It's blatantly not their fault though.. I would be a complete and utter scumbag if I was born in a shlthole. I can admit it unlike the masses.

It's blatantly not their fault though.. I would be a complete and utter scumbag if I was born in a shlthole. I can admit it unlike the masses.

They weren't born in "****holes". It's London, get on a tube if your area is "bad". Plenty if Irish immigrants, including "middle class" immigrants live in these areas too. It's an expensive city, if you can't get subsidized rent that's where you live.

Most people in these areas are not criminals. The ones who are, choose to be.

They weren't born in "****holes". It's London, get on a tube if your area is "bad". Plenty if Irish immigrants, including "middle class" immigrants live in these areas too. It's an expensive city, if you can't get subsidized rent that's where you live.

So if we bring it back to Moyross or Ballymun in the day, is it not our collective failure as a society that places with no hope exist?

I'm not defending their actions here.. I just think that it's a problem of inequality and too many people would rather shout scumbag than actually begin to think of why they're a scumbag. That's the point I'm getting at but it's hard to put it across after 5 beers in a cafe in Vietnam. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

So what about the hundreds of thousands of people who were born in the same "****holes" who aren't scumbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Anybody involved in the riots at the moment are nothing but thick, mindless scumbags and they should be absolutely hammered into the ground by the army and police.

"Hammered into the ground," to what end? Physical violence will just mean that more people will end up on the streets rioting. And there isn't enough police to beat all of them back at once. There is no direct consequence that can stop these guys. And I don't intend that to mean there's no current consequence, but that there is no imaginable consequence. Beat them? They don't care, they've been beaten by other gangs. Lock them up forever? They already know they're probably going to end up in jail. Take their dole? They make their money robbing houses and selling drugs. Snipers taking out anyone carrying a brick? Why would they give a ****, they've already a **** existence. They have nothing so you can do nothing to them.

And there can be wider problems inciting riots than reasons for an individual person to go out and riot. There are plenty of people angry at what governments and the like have done to them. And these people are the guys who live with the scumbag rioters every day of the week, these people are the ones being intimidated and preyed upon by these scrotes when they walk home from the shops. But for once, these toe-rags are directing their criminality towards the outside world, and as an excuse they're using the very problems that the normal people of those areas are dealing with every day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Its time to tackle the underclasses with force.
    I agree, but how?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Shops like JD Sports and Currys in my area have been completely looted and wrecked, while Waterstones is untouched. What does that say about the looters? I'm sure most of them don't give a shít about the guy who was shot on Thursday, they just want a new pair of runners or a widescreen TV.

Products of a broken nation? Can't afford uni? It's easy to get a job in a shop, I did it myself when I moved here first.

Protesting I can understand. Burning out shops and people's flats, smashing up and looting shops, throwing fireworks at the police, beating up old ladies - that I can't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Balloon Of a fish in C.

This is getting ridiculous and it's pure snobbery to suggest people from bad areas are scumbags.

That says a lot about you and not much about anyone else tbh. Not being from a wealthy background does not mean you area obliged to be a scumbag.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

This is getting ridiculous and it's pure snobbery to suggest people from bad areas are scumbags.

I'm not saying people from bad areas are scumbags, I'm saying the people who are looting, setting fire to buildings and beating up people are scumbags. There are plenty from bad areas who are decent people, I used to live in a dodgy area of London and most people were fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You do agree that those out on the streets looting their own communities are scumbags though, right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Apologies if this has been linked to before, but probably the funniest image of the whole shambolic affair

http://twitpic.com/634iax

So if we bring it back to Moyross or Ballymun in the day, is it not our collective failure as a society that places with no hope exist?

I'm not defending their actions here.. I just think that it's a problem of inequality and too many people would rather shout scumbag than actually begin to think of why they're a scumbag. That's the point I'm getting at but it's hard to put it across after 5 beers in a cafe in Vietnam. :P

In vietnam ? riots all night I assume as they are poorer than " oppressed" Londoners. Of course, if a Vietnamese did immigrate to London and work hard and get a business going, and were that business burned down the responsibilty would be with "we as a society" for making more money than people who don't work. That's blaming the victims. They were "asking for it" by creating inequality by working hard.

When is that sick philosophy going to die out?

Buceph wrote: »
    "Hammered into the ground," to what end? Physical violence will just mean that more people will end up on the streets rioting. And there isn't enough police to beat all of them back at once.

At this stage there is no option but physical violence. Yes there is not enough police thats why the army need to be sent in and use tanks to round up the scum, they can throw all the petrol bombs and bricks they want and it will do no good.

They also need to get the water cannon over there asap.

• Advertisement

These people are the product of generations of dickheads. It's not a coincidence. If you're a fairly useless human being, the odds are that most of your offspring will be too. The difference is that, in the past, you still had to do a minimum of work to survive. But now these scummers get a free ride from the taxpayer and live lives of total leisure.

The sh!t in society's tank will inevitably sink towards the bottom.

So total coincidence? No.

Advertisement