Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Biggins wrote: »
    You have a point but as with other sections of communities where there is much or equal discontent - others don't go wrecking their own streets and shops.
    Most peacefully protest, take to the streets in real organised marches - and rightly so.

A lot of other sections of these communities have something to lose, these people don't. I'm not condoning the behaviour just to clarify but to put this down as simply scum taking to the streets to rob is ignoring what is happening in communities that goes unreported.
    I may be wrong but its my opinion that there is no excuse whatsoever to justify what on last night in London. No excuse whatsoever. That wasn't a protest or a pot boiling over last night - that was thugs making and then using an opportunity to steal and terrorise residents.

You're right there is no excuse to justify the behaviour but there is a reason why it's happening. This is a pot boiling over we just weren't watching it beforehand to see it starting to boil so that's why it's such a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Sony centre in enfield is still on fire abit

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

RobitTV wrote: »
    12.46 BREAKING The 26-year-old man shot in Croydon last night has died.

Were you told to stop posting in bold last night?

Whats peoples opinions on tonight 16000 police...will we still see troubles on the street?

I think so and it could spread more up north tonight because most of the officers will be in london

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Most peacefully protest, take to the streets in real organised marches - and rightly so..

Funnily enough pumping money into communities after Broadwater Farm riots in the 80s was adjudged to be a success but only after terrible riots spurred it on.

Obviously society cannot and should not stand by and watch people (that are wrong to riot) destroy their communities and terrorize innocent residents but it's no coincidence that this unrest always occurs in the most deprived parts of the UK. Basically we're seeing the end result of Thatcherism and the failed social housing projects of the 60s and 70s.

The riots must be stopped and are wrong but they do have root cause. Observing that a load of teenage looters - who probably didn't even finish school and have been brought up in one of the worst parts of the UK - are not rioting with a cogent grasp of politics and protest is spectacularly dumb to be fair even if I agree that the police have to get them off the streets to stop them harassing innocent law-abiding citizens.

If that makes me a bleeding heart, I couldn't care less. I'm less concerned with what playground labels are assigned to people than trying to understand why these things happen and trying to prevent them in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not. Makes me sick to the stomach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gex_ya4-Oo

Fixed that for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Government should offer the services of the Gardai Riot squad in lieu of some of the debt that this country owes to the UK. These guys would be well able for them if they get stuck in.

They could do it on the sly and act all innocent. "oh my god, a thousand lads in black, unmarked riot gear have turned up out of the blue and started beating the rioters, whatever will we do. The police seem to have all gone on a break at the same time, what a coincidence":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Whats peoples opinions on tonight 16000 police...will we still see troubles on the street?

Not if the police can't use strong-arm tactics. Look at the vid at the top of the page here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14450248

The police were not much use there, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Hard to know, there is probably no where left to loot. It depends now on whether these rioters want to get directly involved with the police. I doubt there will be much rioting tonight, well not to the scale of last night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You post in bold and don't link your source as though you are some credible news source, despite the fact that about 6 people posted it before you saying that it is being reported on BBC and sky??

RobitTV is his own source.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I wonder is Brummytom ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Hard to know, there is probably no where left to loot. It depends now on whether these rioters want to get directly involved with the police. I doubt there will be much rioting tonight, well not to the scale of last night.

I don't know, I think it's dangerous to take these police from other areas (G8 summit in 2005 saw the Police presence stepped up in Edinburgh just in time for the 07/07 bombings), and very doubtful that they will have the training for it anyway. London might be fine tonight but I worry for the rest of the UK. A firmer hand is needed given the circumstances. A curfew, and assurances of grevious consequences for anyone who breaks it. An example needs to be made of these toerags, they are clearly not afraid of the police atm as they know there are no "real" consequences. Prison time sees them martyred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CCgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPurple_Rain_Protest&ei=uCFBTp_dEJCJhQfi9-G8CQ&usg=AFQjCNEtZLpSVLBrC3MHzvyKQwmqZB6YWg

They could try this The police were using a new water cannon with purple dye whose purpose was to stain protestors for later identification and arrest,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I wonder is Brummytom ok :)

He must be out on the streets kicking off. :)

Guardian: We're hearing unconfirmed reports of disturbances breaking out in Camberwell. We'll try to substantiate as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

123balltv wrote: »
    BBC news now reporting that a 26 year old man, who was shot in Croydon yesterday has died.

His Mother Pamela Duggan
    Pamela Duggan said race may have been a factor in the death. "They [the police] killed my son. I'm not saying murder ... I don't know what it is. Apparently it was wrote [sic] somewhere that he was being watched ... He's black and you know what that means," she said.

Pamela Duggan is the mother of Mark Duggan, the guy who was killed by the police before all this started - not the mother of the 26 year old man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

the tags at the bootom are fun

get rid of keano

Cameron's cobras

dumster diving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have just heard on todayfm that the riots have claimed their first fatality, a gunshot victim in Croydon.

Surely if there is trouble tonight these extra officers drafted in have to go in and if need be smash heads.

Fcuk the do gooders and bleeding heart brigade, fcuk this 'ah we're studying CCTV and will make arrests'. Ordinary decent people are terrified in their homes, some are being forced to move out, peoples livelyhoods are being lost. The authorties have to show action and set an example.

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, these looters and rioters dont give a sh!te about this fella who was shot dead in Tottenham, they are simply cowardly opertunist thugs, and common theifs, intent on causing disrubtion and terror, with no repect for their communities or the people around them.

its all kicking off

13.08 Surrey Quays shopping centre in Bermondsey has just been evacuated and closed its doors with warnings of more riots on their way, Heidi Blake reports. Looting is reportedly already underway on Lower Road. (guardian)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Just a thought to ponder that these riots are nothing new to England, infact they are an inbred trait among'st english youth, except there are no football pitches to be seen this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Calling the Parliament back early will do nothing. Now calling the schools back early is a better idea.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Calling the Parliament back early will do nothing. Now calling the schools back early is a better idea.

Thats not a bad idea at all, considering there is kids as young as 8 causing trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Met police are compiling a list of trouble makers. Top of the list

http://run-riot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

525 arrests so far according to Sky News

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Plastic bullet possibilities tonight. - Sky

• Advertisement

13.18 Unconfirmed reports that things are kicking off again in Peckham. We are taking a look now. (guardian)

Advertisement