Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I am surprised that this has been a big deal in the news and on news stations. This happens all the time. Unless I am missing something?

Does it? In London?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Does it? In London?
    Well perhaps not to such an extreme but it does happen with burnt out cars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The riots last night were pretty big, bit more then just burnt out cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Did you fail to spot the f*ck off double decker on fire?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

iguana wrote: »
    Seeing as how news of the shooting was all over the UK national newspapers since it happened, I'm going to go with yes.

I mean we as in here in Ireland and in the rest of the world. I have a feeling this thread wouldnt exist and the issue of Mark Duggan's death wouldnt be discussed on Boards if the riot hadnt erupted. The issue is now making news all over the world. At best his death would be a statistic in the rising levels of streetcrime in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Did you fail to spot the f*ck off double decker on fire?
    Yeah, that is why i put etc. I didn't think it would be something big enough to make the news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I am surprised that this has been a big deal in the news and on news stations. This happens all the time. Unless I am missing something?
    You go to a lot of the rangers away european games i see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Karl.....Karl Pilkington...is that you.?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

dfx- wrote: »
    The only thing more disturbing than those jumping to the conclusion that there was no reason to riot were those jumping to the conclusion that the Met were innocent and have no case to answer by just protecting people.

Frighteningly, the latter outnumber the former I'd say in this thread.

How many of the people rioting last night and looting today are likely to have had anything to do with the guy the cops shot? There's a reason looting generally only happens at night in America, arseholes like those in the Sky video would be shot on sight over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Balloon Of a fish in C.

Looking at twitter ,can't believe theres still trouble going on. Bmw police car getting trashed ,cars being torched and shops being looted.

Lot of people out of work tomorrow :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Looking at twitter ,can't believe theres still trouble going on. Bmw police car getting trashed ,cars being torched and shops being looted.

Lot of people out of work tomorrow :(

The stuff tonight is happening in Enfield and Edmonton Retail Park, about a mile or two north of Tottenham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Looter poses with his stash

http://twitpic.com/62m6nx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Balloon Of a fish in C.

The stuff tonight is happening in Enfield and Edmonton Retail Park, about a mile or two north of Tottenham.

They should get the army in ,that would put an end to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I was watching either Skynews or BBC News (can't remember) today and I remember seeing a 2-3 minute clip of a gang of looters stealing carpets out of a Carpet Right store. Just 2-3 minute of chavs barging out of the ramshackled store will rolls and rolls of carpet.

Could just imagine "Look bruv, just got me a wick'd roll of underlay!"
    "Wow, that's bangin' mate!"

Thought it was kinda funny to watch - obviously not so for the employers and staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I was watching either Skynews or BBC News (can't remember) today and I remember seeing a 2-3 minute clip of a gang of looters stealing carpets out of a Carpet Right store. Just 2-3 minute of chavs barging out of the ramshackle store will rolls and rolls of carpet. Could just imagine "Look bruv, just got me a wicked roll of underlay!". Thought it was kinda funny to watch - obviously not so for the employers and staff.

Nor the unfortunate residents whose flats were above the shop. As one guy said this morning, "all I have left is the clothes on my back"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Nor the unfortunate residents whose flats were above the shop. As one guy said this morning, "all I have left is the clothes on my back"

Well at least an imagine of a bunch of chavs robbing carpets and underlay from a Carpet Right store will bode well with a future Photoshop Competition over on the Cool Vids & Picts forum. That is all.

PaulLewis Paul Lewis

Teenager stabbed outside #Edmonton WorkingMen's Conservative Club. Medics on scene. #Enfield

#Enfield #Edmonton ambulance arrived at scene of stabbing. Teenage boy looks about 17.

4 minutes ago
    »
    #Stabbing victim is walking. Blood left splattered on pavement. Sobering sight. Elizabeth Side Road.

http://twitter.com/#!/PaulLewis

»
    Paul Lewis
    PaulLewis Paul Lewis
    #Stabbing victims friends refusing to cooperate with police. "Why do u think everything's going on? Because we ****ing hate you."
    5 minutes ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This would be a testament to anyone never to reside in a flat over a carpet warehouse and it was probably a blessing in disguise.

13 years ago O'Sullivan's Carpets in Ennis went on fire and took out two adjoining units with it.

I am very surprised why flats were even allowed above the place to begin with and I doubt that there were type approval fire regulations, i.e. concrete floor and partitions between apartments.

I am very surprised why flats were even allowed above the place to begin with and I doubt that there were type approval fire regulations, i.e. concrete floor and partitions between apartments.

The carpet store with the homes above it was the Art Deco building in my posts from last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Some proper scumbags there. Some of those images on sky are shocking!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

amacachi wrote: »
    How many of the people rioting last night and looting today are likely to have had anything to do with the guy the cops shot?

Do they have to? Perhaps they have a very low opinion and high suspicion of the Met? Maybe it's people exploiting anger over the police's non-response to their protest to vent from their own experience. It's not beyond the realms of probability especially with the track record of that particular police force as mentioned by iguana

Certainly easier than presuming the police were right, like many many people have decided in this thread without any knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Ay yay yay... I fink that this kind of thing is all we need for DC to announce some radical steps in policing, i.e: get f*cked if you act the pr!ck.

I'm not saying this is 100% a bad thing... but the looters & their peers will pay for all that stuff over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

dfx- wrote: »
    Do they have to? Perhaps they have a very low opinion and high suspicion of the Met? Maybe it's people exploiting anger over the police's non-response to their protest to vent from their own experience. It's not beyond the realms of probability especially with the track record of that particular police force as mentioned by iguana

Certainly easier than presuming the police were right, like many many people have decided in this thread without any knowledge.

They are destroying people's cars, businesses, jobs, homes. Crack some skulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The carpet store with the homes above it was the Art Deco building in my posts from last night.
    I'm aware of that and looking at the intensity of the blaze it should make the authorities think twice of allowing so many flats over such a volatile business.

Carpet showrooms should be confined to stand alone commercial or industrial units.

I would guess that this period Art Deco building will be restored to its former glory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:D Fundamental Christians following kids round saying "Your blood is in Jesus. http://yfrog.com/ki3zqflj

• Registered Users Posts: 51,917 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So its all the fault of the police again. Jesus some of you will never change. They shot a gunman who was firing at them. He deserved it. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
    The scumbags who are out looting and burning now are just rent-a-mob and burning their own areas and they will be complaining next week that there is no work there because of the fires and no amenities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kess73 wrote: »
    Have been watching it live on Sky News for the last 30 minutes or so.

To shoot rubber bullets at the rioters to the left, press the red button now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mikemac wrote: »
    There was no rioting in Japan

What's wrong with us Europeans? :( Or what happened in New Orleans also
    Burning buses and looting shops

So what's the difference?

The Japanese soldiers loved their raping sprees in China during the war. Maybe we should do that instead.

The Japanese arent all peace loving ,well behaved jesus figures, despite what people seem to think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So its all the fault of the police again. Jesus some of you will never change. They shot a gunman who was firing at them. He deserved it. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Have you passed these facts onto the IPCC?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The Japanese soldiers loved their raping sprees in China during the war. Maybe we should do that instead.

The Japanese arent all peace loving ,well behaved jesus figures, despite what people seem to think.

You mean the war that happened more than a generation ago?

They certainly aren't saints but the do have a high degree of civic pride and respect for society.

Advertisement