Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

So does anyone here think we will get a repeat tonight or is the rioting pretty much over/ will be quelled before it can escalate?

kona wrote: »
    Ah my army is PC and doesnt fight other countries, I only unleash it on myself:rolleyes:

"Keyboard Warriors" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    steve9859 wrote: »
    So the police leave them to terrorize London till they get bored, or else there's nothing left to burn, right???

So it's either do nothing or bash heads? Surely the police are more skilled than to only be able to come up with those two options. It's a social/cultural issue not a policing issue. As another poster said on the last page, this kind of thing doesn't break out in wealthy and affluent areas.

Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot about the third way. The 'ask them nicely to move along' way. That'd work. My bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Ah my army is PC and doesnt fight other countries, I only unleash it on myself:rolleyes:

Sounds like the navy your talking about there.

I still don't see any of these savage deals on Ebay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

TheZohan wrote: »
    He has a fair point. They should bring in the army.

No, they shouldnt. That would be so stupid on so many levels and thats coming from somebody who would love nothing more than to see these ****heads get shot in the face.

The British need to stop this using their own police, otherwise, their foreign policy is just hypocrisy and therefore will be laughed at. At this stage its gone on so long that the world is looking at their reaction, they could **** this up on all fronts very very easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Thomas828 wrote: »
    This comment on the BBC's live feed sums up perfectly how I feel about the riots and about Britain in general.

Rob, London writes: You create a society where vastly overpaid footballers and models can flaunt their wealth and behave in any manner they see fit, and are still treated as near gods by the media. You lead our youth to expect instant fame and wealth, and instead they get unemployment, poverty, and no future. And now you act surprised when they revolt.

He sounds like he's from the Tyler Durden school of thinking:

'We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off. '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The Army as a last resort, the army is also a very blunt instrument that will inevitably result in deaths, I also read that if the Government of the day has to resort to using the army, then that Government has failed. Lessons have also been learned from NI that the Army can have the opposite effect to the one you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Residents bringing tea to the officers

Nice pic, riot shield as a tray :)
    As looters and rioters smashed up shops, looted and fought with police in Camden Town, Philippa Morgan-Walker, 25 and her husband, Jonny Walker, 31, made tea for the police who were protecting their street. Some of the officers had been on duty for more than 30 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Models maybe but sports stars in the states generally have wage caps.

The clubs in America have wage caps not the individual players so like society some get paid vast amounts and others little in comparison.

No, they shouldnt. That would be so stupid on so many levels and thats coming from somebody who would love nothing more than to see these ****heads get shot in the face.

The British need to stop this using their own police, otherwise, their foreign policy is just hypocrisy and therefore will be laughed at. At this stage its gone on so long that the world is looking at their reaction, they could **** this up on all fronts very very easily.
    :pac:
    Yea they've been successfull so far protecting people, property and businesses.
    21,000 calls to police last night, 200 arrests LOL
    Stick to playing Sims mate.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Aldebaran wrote: »
    He sounds like he's from the Tyler Durden school of thinking:

'We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off. '

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Originally Posted by TheZohan:

Catch yourself on, Zohan! It didn't work in the North. What makes you think it'll work in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Models maybe but sports stars in the states generally have wage caps.
    Sports stars in the US make ridiculous money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

LordSutch wrote: »
    The Army as a last resort, the army is also a very blunt instrument that will inevitably result in deaths, I also read that if the Government of the day has to resort to using the army, then that Government has failed.

This one hundred times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Conor108 wrote: »
    They did the same on the Falls Road in 1972. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I've only been catching up with all this now. I swear to god this whole riot has made me feel sick to my stomach. It's spreading over england quicker than swine flu did.
    Video Recap from Last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The army is the last resort, if things get worse tonight well then the UK will be in deep trouble if they cant stop it even with 16,000 officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Hulk Hogan is on 5Live at the minute.

****ing sort 'em out, Hulkster. Make the scummers eat their vitamins and say their prayers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

karma_ wrote: »
    LordSutch wrote: »
    The Army as a last resort, the army is also a very blunt instrument that will inevitably result in deaths, I also read that if the Government of the day has to resort to using the army, then that Government has failed.

This one hundred times over.

Think Bruce Willis in 'The Seige'!! My heart says 'bring it on'. My head thinks it's a terrible idea

• Advertisement

Catch yourself on, Zohan! It didn't work in the North. What makes you think it'll work in England?
    a little thing called Freedom & Oppression.
    This is SCUMBAG looting simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I never said it would work, I want to see a scrap.

If one innocent person dies from these riots it's game over. They'll kick a dozen shades of shìt of of the scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Would people please stop comparing this to the ****ing North!

NI Catholics had a genuine grievance, a just cause.

These pampered welfare state spongers have every opportunity in the world and they choose to loot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

One thing the Daily Mail always did well was photos, there are some great photos over there.

The comments are a bit scary though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Boris is getting shouted at on sky news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Boris Johnson being hounded at the minute..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14449675

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

via @lisagoldapple
    This is dark. Leaflet found in Dalston this AM, tips to avoid being arrested #londonriots http://t.co/nm2yXxv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This comment on the BBC's live feed sums up perfectly how I feel about the riots and about Britain in general.

Rob, London writes: You create a society where vastly overpaid footballers and models can flaunt their wealth and behave in any manner they see fit, and are still treated as near gods by the media. You lead our youth to expect instant fame and wealth, and instead they get unemployment, poverty, and no future. And now you act surprised when they revolt.

Bollox. Media/football players didn't let them out of the house at 2am to riot. It's the parents fault, problem is no one seems to want to come out and blame the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

RobitTV wrote: »
    Boris is getting shouted at on sky news

"Listen to the black youth" Pure rubbish the guy was shouting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

What's preventing me from encouraging the Army's introduction is their role and capability. Anti-riot and riot suppression isn't exactly on the top of the British Armed Forces list. They could be a potentially useful in deterring the rioters from a show of force standpoint, but when it comes to direct conflict, the Army may not have sufficient training in order to counter this. Sending platoons of lads in, some of them young and inexperienced, may be a bad thing. Unless there's specific sections of the Army devoted to this, I worry what their introduction means, unless there's confidence from the leadership over their ability.

Advertisement