Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London and UK riots (started in Tottenham 10:30PM, 6th Aug)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I love watching the Irish right wing trying to make cogent arguments about this.
    All over FB, Boards.ie, Twitter are those people who called the masses onto the streets over our financial crisis. Now they are joining in the Tory blood cries for these deprived people who dare to say 'enough'.
    'Hurt my wallet then any sanction, including riot is ok'. But that reaction is justified coz we is educated. Despicable 'me fein' politics is just that.....despicable:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Bambi wrote: »
    I must get one of these twitter machines, I have visions of people reading long ticker tapes of info as its being spat out "my twitter feed is off the scale"

There are some pretty good sites out there where you can compile tweets based on hashtags and locations etc.

About 90% of my Twitter folk are based in London though...so it's kind of scary sitting here reading tweets from them about fires and riots and stuff.

Also, don't know if it was posted yet but....Photoshop a Looter!

http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BooYa

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Are Sky News fúcking stupid? Telling us what parts of London will be "unguarded" tonight.

Mongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Bambi wrote: »
    I must get one of these twitter machines, I have visions of people reading long ticker tapes of info as its being spat out "my twitter feed is off the scale"

I like to picture it like that because it means I also get to have a glass of brandy and a pipe.

So long as you treat everything with a balanced degree of healthy skepticism, to be honest, it's often faster and more accurate than any of the major news outlets. The info I was getting from Twitter re: the recent Norwegian attacks was about ten to twelve hours ahead of Fox News, and two or three hours ahead of Sky, for instance. You just have to read what you're seeing critically.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That_Guy wrote: »
    Are Sky News fúcking stupid? Telling us what parts of London will be "unguarded" tonight.

Mongs.

Where did they mention?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

Yakult wrote: »
    I'm actually shocked that theirs been no fatalities in these riots. A good shocked tho!!

I thought a man shot in Croydon died? Was on Sky news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Where did they mention?

send me your blackberry messenger number.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Where did they mention?

Is there a TK Maxx there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

moco wrote: »
    Yakult posted 5 minutes before they reported that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Here's a pic of the hack on the blackberry site in case it gets taken down.
    That's some crazy ****, threatening employees.
    With this and the poster about how not to get caught, makes you wonder if this wasn't a lot more organised than we originally thought.

Blackberry hack by "Team poison"

Jesus, this is seriously getting out of control now. Threatening to give employee details, employees who would have to do as the police say or be arrested/lose their lobs (not sure what the legality is, but Blackberry could fire them for disobedience even if the police couldn't arrest them for not handing over information), giving these details to the rioters. **** this ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Mongs.

Sky News panders to the lowest common denominator so it's inevitable that there'll be a disproportionate number of idiots there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I love watching the Irish right wing trying to make cogent arguments about this.
    All over FB, Boards.ie, Twitter are those people who called the masses onto the streets over our financial crisis. Now they are joining in the Tory blood cries for these deprived people who dare to say 'enough'.
    'Hurt my wallet then any sanction, including riot is ok'. But that reaction is justified coz we is educated. Despicable 'me fein' politics is just that.....despicable:rolleyes:

what in gods name are you blabbing about. Do you think this is some sort of political protest? Im as left wing as possible but this is thugary, criminality, theft and arson. They deserve the punishment that any criminal would get.

how exactly is robbing the local footlocker standing up for anything. jesus christ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

moco wrote: »

Ya, I saw it on Sky as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mongs.

If there was no trouble there would be no breaking news ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Two 17-year-olds said they were "showing police and rich people they could do whatever they wanted".

Play video right of centre

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14460554

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

"Do you think the rioting will go on tonight?"
    "Yeah. Hopefully." Fcukers of the highest order.

When asked why they were doing it, they were targeting the locals, it was because they were "rich". Some shops are probably only making do. Recession and all. See in this link I've posted, picture 23, Aaron Biber, an 89 year old who owns a salon. I doubt he's loaded to the brim, even if he is, it's a bloody salon ffs.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/08/london_riots.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

These guys aren't protesting for any politcal cause though... they are just robbing and destroying stuff because they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Mongs.

That's what they want everyone to think ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is grand and handy for the rioters. Spend a few night running amok and stealing what you want whiel the cops watch, then the rest of the people in the area come out and clean up after you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

what in gods name are you blabbing about. Do you think this is some sort of political protest? Im as left wing as possible but this is thugary, criminality, theft and arson. They deserve the punishment that any criminal would get.

how exactly is robbing the local footlocker standing up for anything. jesus christ!

If you can't see beyond the looters to the real causes of this kind of protest then I'm afraid to say you are left wing only when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

There's nothing daring about what is happening in London and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I blame idleness - 200 years ago all the scumbags would have been forced to join the British Army and sent out to the colonies to kick some native a$$ and expend their energies - the decline of the British Empire has culminated in the lowest dregs of society finally realizing that the authorities are feeble and rudderless, just look at the wringing of hands in Washington and Berlin recently.

Even though I know it a pile of old hokum, the time is ripe for the Anti Christ to show up, just like Hitler did in the '30s. Disenchantment with the status quo is prevalent world-wide. Nothing that World War 3 wouldn't sort out.

All that's missing is a nation state to blame, can hardly go to war against capitalism which exists worldwide at this stage. Every other ideology is a busted flush.

Will we even learn from our past mistakes - boom-and-bust, fiat currency, fat cats getting fatter, etc. etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

15.27 Ebay has confirmed it will remove any listings linked to looting in London. A spokesman for the online auction site said:
    ""Our thoughts are with the businesses and communities affected by recent events in London and around the UK. eBay will cooperate fully with the investigating authorities to identify and remove any listings which are linked to criminal activity""

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

This is grand and handy for the rioters. Spend a few night running amok and stealing what you want whiel the cops watch, then the rest of the people in the area come out and clean up after you.

They are a sector of society that expects everyone else to babysit them.

What else do you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

If you can't see beyond the looters to the real causes of this kind of protest then I'm afraid to say you are left wing only when it suits.
    Sorry bud, there's only you and a couple of other loons defending the scummers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

you sound like a backward retarded hippy who now uses violence instead of peace when protesting

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As opposed to always looking past the looting to try blame something else?

Everything people do doesnt always have to be because of things other people do, some people are just ****ing scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

what protest?

what exactly is their manifesto when their smashing windows of poundworld , burning their own neighbourhood to the ground and putting pensioners in hospital?

seeing as you have such an insight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I blame idleness - 200 years ago all the scumbags would have been forced to join the British Army and sent out to the colonies to kick some native a$$ and expend their energies - the decline of the British Empire has culminated in the lowest dregs of society finally realizing that the authorities are feeble and rudderless, just look at the wringing of hands in Washington and Berlin recently.

Even though I know it a pile of old hokum, the time is ripe for the Anti Christ to show up, just like Hitler did in the '30s. Disenchantment with the status quo is prevalent world-wide. Nothing that World War 3 wouldn't sort out.

All that's missing is a nation state to blame, can hardly go to war against capitalism which exists worldwide at this stage. Every other ideology is a busted flush.

Will we even learn from our past mistakes - boom-and-bust, fiat currency, fat cats getting fatter, etc. etc?

It was only a matter of time before HE was mentioned... or was it said before?

Advertisement