Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange lights in the sky

• 07-08-2011 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I went to bed around 12 and noticed a strange light in the sky, it was hovering and moving all over the place albeit farely slow. I know for a fact it wasn't a chinese lantern because the light only disappeared around 15 minutes ago and I had been observing it for almost an hour and a half. It was really bright and seemed to be flashing quite brightly and rapidly every 30 or 40 seconds. I'm living out by Kilmeaden and it seemed to be close enough to me at the beginning but it moved alot farther away then. It disappeared for maybe 10 mins then came back quite quickly into view. It couldn't have been a plane because there's no chance that a plane could remain in sight for that length of time, and it couldn't have been a chinese lantern for the same reason. They only last 15 - 20 mins max. I know from experience with them that they don't last that long......Its very strange as the sky is a bit brighter around the light.

Has anyone else seen it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Air sea rescue chopper or the Garda chopper looking for somebody? Both have extremely powerful searchlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

*whistles X-Files theme tune* :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

batm!ke wrote: »
    *whistles X-Files theme tune* :D

I believe.

*I do not believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

To be fair if it was aliens you wouldn't begrudge them from looking at Waterford and not finding anywhere interesting to land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Are you under the influence of narcotics by any chance:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Grant Stevens

I saw this tonight at approx 12:10 am driving in the tramore road, on the new stretch of road between the Kingfisher & the first roundabout. It was out the right-hand side of the car - over the lower part of cherrymount. It was very bright and almost seemed to moving very fast. Because there was no traffic behind or in front I actually stopped the car to see if indeed 'it' was moving and just the illusion of movement as I was travelling fairly fast! It kept moving, but I couldn't keep my eyes on it as I got near Superquin. Never thought much about it until I read your post to be honest! Weird eh?!

Definitely wasn't search & rescue. I checked my 'flyby' app on the phone and the ISS is actually in our skies for the next few nights....but not until the 4am - 5am mark. The ISS is the brightest object in the sky apart from the sun & the moon and I watch the ISS pass over every time it's in our skies....what I saw was much bigger & brighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Its aurora borealis. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

longshanks wrote: »
    Its aurora borealis. Again.

I think it's the lights from the circus out in tramore, they've got some knd of powerful laser lights display like you'd see in Vegas.

I was driving from town out to tramore at night this time last year and was convinced it must be Aurora Borealis, (could clearly see it as soon as you get out past the street lighting at Superquinn) til I got within half a mile of Tramore and could see the beams emanating upwards from down on the prom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mullane13

This wasn't the search and rescue helicopter because there was no noise and it was a very still night. The rescue helicopter passes over my house quite regularly and I'd definately have heard it, like I said it was a very still night so the sound would travel quite far. It wasn't lights from the circus anyway for def, probably due to the fact that the circus is gone since last week!

I wasn't under the influence of any drink or drugs, I was going to bed early because I was up early for work on Sunday morning. Make of it what you will but I rang a few of the neighbours to have a look and they said it was very strange. None of us could explain what it was.

Advertisement