Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard - UCD - Graduate Certificate in Information & Communications Technology

Options
  • 07-08-2011 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a provisional offer of a place on this course. Has anyone completed this course to date or planning on doing it?
    Can most of this be done online or is there much on-campus time? I've been in contact with UCD but was playing phone tag for couple of days so didnt get to speak to anyone.

Would this be recognized highly by employers? There's approx 40 modules to choose from including cloud computing, java technologies.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated as trying to weigh up my options on this. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sakiboy

Hi
    Thought I'd bump this thread,Can't seem to find info on this course anywhere.Does anyone out there have (or know of) experience with this course (Good or Bad).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Yes, I started this course last year but was not in a position to complete at the time due to personal reasons. There was a good selection of modules, including C programming, java, cloud computing and others. It is mostly online but there were some dates for exams on site in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sakiboy

Thanks for the reply dubdub123.
    Do you know can Java , C , Mobile application and cloud computing modules be done online ? What modules do you have to attend Belfield for (I live over two hours away on buses so travel is a concern ).Is there continuous assesment or exams , are there recommended textbooks ? - or is all the info you need available on line- Can you borrow from the library - sorry for all the questions , it's just very hard to find out this kind of information from the website , emailing or phoning . Thanks for the info .
    best regards
    sb.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭karlkavo

sakiboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply dubdub123.
    Do you know can Java , C , Mobile application and cloud computing modules be done online ? What modules do you have to attend Belfield for (I live over two hours away on buses so travel is a concern ).Is there continuous assesment or exams , are there recommended textbooks ? - or is all the info you need available on line- Can you borrow from the library - sorry for all the questions , it's just very hard to find out this kind of information from the website , emailing or phoning . Thanks for the info .
    best regards
    sb.
    Hi Sakiboy,

I'm starting University Certificate in Information and Communications Technology (ICT) springboard course in September. I don't know if its the same one but I was also looking for answers to the same questions as I'll be traveling from Wexford. I'm just finishing a Springboard computer science course in Griffith college and I've been traveling up Thursday & Friday every week for 6 months and don't really fancy doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

I've just accepted a place on the university certificate course, I emailed the course director and here is the list of modules offered, ones marked OL are online,

Any advice from previous students?

Semester 1: (COMP10160 Friday 1-3, CSI Lecture Theatre, first 7 weeks only)
    COMP3???? (OL) JAVA BASED DATA STRUCTURES (10 CREDITS)
    COMP30040 NETWORKS & INTERNET (5 CREDITS)
    COMP10160 FUTURE FIT CAREERS
    COMP30390 ENTERPRISE AND INNOVATION (5 CREDITS)
    COMP41490 (OL) JAVA TECHNOLOGIES (5 CREDITS)
    COMP10170 (OL) INTRODUCTION TO C I (5 CREDITS)
    COMP10180 (OL) INTRODUCTION TO C II (5 CREDITS)
    COMP3???? ANDROID (5 CREDITS)
    COMP3???? RESEARCH PRACTICUM (10 CREDITS)
    IS30050 - Information Architecture: Designing the Web (5 CREDITS)
    IS30070 - Cybersoc Tech, Culture, & Communication (5 CREDITS)
    IS30240 - Creating and Publishing Digital Media Content (5 CREDITS)

Semester 2: (COMP10160 Friday 1-3, CSI Lecture Theatre, first 5 weeks only)
    Semester II
    COMP3???? (OL) JAVA BASED DATA STRUCTURES (10 CREDITS)
    COMP10160 FUTURE FIT CAREERS
    COMP20030 WEB DESIGN (5 CREDITS)
    COMP41490 (OL) JAVA TECHNOLOGIES (5 CREDITS)
    COMP41090 SQL PROGRAMMING (5 CREDITS)
    COMP10170 (OL) INTRODUCTION TO C I (5 CREDITS)
    COMP10180 (OL) INTRODUCTION TO C II (5 CREDITS)
    IS30020 – Web Publishing (5 CREDITS)
    IS30290 - Current Trends in Social Computing (5 CREDITS)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Can't give you advice but here are a few links to where you can get the info on each module.
    In each it will give you a break down of the module and bits on assessment, though it is based on a full time student.

Computer Sci
    Information Studies

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭karlkavo

Have any of you guys started yet, I applied but due to the fact that I'm only finished a springboard course in GCD and not yet off their system I can't start any of the modules yet.
    How do you find it so far?

Advertisement