Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Ennis?

• 07-08-2011 8:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi everyone. I am soon moving to Ennis and have already checked with upc for broadband they dont have connection in Ennis.

Can one1 suggest me which provider available in Ennis with unlimited usage allowance?

I know eircom is everywhere but too dear the package i want.(just broadband+line rental).

Upc has the best price in Ireland now.and fast.

I would like to get unlimited download with €35-45max.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ozalseker

is there nobody living in Ennis who would have an idea for broadband?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I use Vodafone fixed line broadband, I'm on their ultimate package, I'm getting ~12meg line speed. I believe RippleCom are available in town as well now, I don't know anything about their services though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

There are very few options in Ennis. There are a few mid-band options, but they all have limits of between 10-30 gigs.

There are only two other options which are Vodafone or Eircom. I had Vodafone but about six months ago they stopped offering unlimited downloads and capped everyone at 70 gigs.

Eircom is the only provider in Clare that has unlimited downloads, and even then they cap it in the TOS at 250 gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

No mention of Imagine WiMax :rolleyes:

ger664 wrote: »
    No mention of Imagine WiMax :rolleyes:

Thats mid-band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

CptSternn wrote: »
    Thats mid-band.

Not how imagine market it but i would be happy if they could even deliver mid-band.

I am looking at ripple comm but getting through to their Technical Support is hard, when you do get someone they are local engineers who have a clue and can resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

I'm using Imagine WiMax :pac: 7mb download package with as much download and upload as you want, I find it great myself. I know there's mixed reviews on it... but you get that with pretty much everything these days. I've been with the company before they changed over to Wimax also so about 4 years now or so.

Imagine packages do have a limit. They are just going the quasi-legal route of saying all packages subject to Acceptable and Fair Use policy, which means they have a limit but they won't tell you until you reach it.

http://www.imagine.ie/imagine_wimax_acceptance_usage_policy.html
    Excessive Use
    No system has unlimited resources, and we expect you to act responsibly when consuming resources on our system(s). If you consume excessive resources on our system we may suspend your access at any time without prior notice. Some access services are bound by a monthly allocation or download allowance.. You must comply with all current bandwidth, download, and other allocations on the service established by imagine. Use of Network bandwidth is expected to be reasonable and moderate. You must ensure that your activity does not improperly degrade any other user's use of the imagine service, nor represent an unusually large burden on the network. In addition, you must ensure that your activities do not improperly restrict imagine's ability to deliver the service and monitor the service and/or network.

Fair Use Policy – Broadband
    A fair use policy applies to all WiMax Broadband Packages. The WiMax Broadband Service is a shared service and imagine reserves the right to manage the Network to ensure that all users get fair access to the Network. If users make excessive use of their WiMax Broadband Service their service may be restricted or they may be asked to subscribe to an alternative WiMax Broadband Package(s) more suitable to their usage. imagine at it’s sole discretion will define from time to time what constitutes excessive use of the WiMax Service(s) Once Customers exceed this level they will have the option to upgrade their WiMax Broadband Package(s) or their service speed may be restricted by imagine. In the event of the Customer refusing or neglecting to select an alternative WiMax Broadband Package(s), imagine may, upon due notice, terminate the provision of the WiMax Broadband Service to the Customer.

UPC and Eircom both have the same policy. If you check the Imagine website -

http://www.imagine.ie/wimax_broadband.html

broadband_pricing.png

You will see the 'unlimited' listing as having an asterix.

Eircom and UPC have their limit set at 250 gigs. Imagine doesn't have their limit posted, but I am willing to bet since mid-band suffers even more congestion problems than PPPOE that it is much lower than that. You will know the limit once you hit it once and they throttle your service and send you a nasty letter, like the one I got from UPC when I was living in Dublin...

73555_460711651840_567511840_5951180_1266334_n.jpg

Vodafone is 70 gigs, Three is 30 gigs, and I'm betting Imagine is somewhere in between those two numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭heathercat

Oops, sorry for the late reply, only saw the thread just now.

I have a DSL business account with Imagine that guarantees true (!) unlimited downloads and uploads. The speed in our estate is above 6k (6 MB) most of the time on the DSL lines.

I think you will not find many details for this offer on their website because they are not advertising it much. However, including DSL and phone line rental and good speed, cost is about 71 € per month incl. VAT. Yep, a bit steep, but since I am sharing with a neighbour (who cares??? LOL), we each pay half. Phone calls are done through either "internetcalls.com" or "skype europe package" since we both make many calls to other European landline numbers. We watch telly online and download huge files.

The good thing is, the connection is the best I ever had in this country, very good speed and reliable service. Sorry to say, a bit cr*ppy on the customer care side though.

If one does not use the landline to make calls, the monthly cost of 71 Euros for real true unlimited broadband, with no caps or flippin fair usage policy or similar traps, is acceptable, I guess. I've had this service with Imagine for over 2 years now and am quite happy with it.

Hope this helps. :)

Edit: Maybe I should mention...... I signed up for the business account without having to bring proof of any business! I mean, I would have been able to bring it, and I even offered, but they said "no, no, that's fine, thank you!" Well *shrug* ;-)

For €59.99 a month you can get 24 meg connection from Eircom (although most of Ennis can only get 16 megs right now). Thats tax and line rental included.

• Advertisement

For €59.99 a month you can get 24 meg connection from Eircom (although most of Ennis can only get 16 megs right now). Thats tax and line rental included.

Could you post a link to that? I cannot find that anywhere on the eircom sites.....:confused:

heathercat wrote: »
    Could you post a link to that? I cannot find that anywhere on the eircom sites.....:confused:

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/recommends/?BV_EngineID=null&BV_SessionID=null&cid=BBResults&option1=0&option2=46&option3=16&option4=15&linespeed=&invalid=0&ngb=false

Next Generation Broadband / 24 meg with off peak calls.

Looks like they have raised the price by like a few cents so it is now €61.73, but it was €59.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aclareman

Hi, Has anyone in the ennis area - tested the speeds of the WIMAX lately? I am thinking of getting this myself. Does it vary much and how is it during peak times (weekday evenings)?

Thanks!

aclareman wrote: »
    Hi, Has anyone in the ennis area - tested the speeds of the WIMAX lately? I am thinking of getting this myself. Does it vary much and how is it during peak times (weekday evenings)?

Thanks!

My mate has the 7 meg package. It is ok. He lives in an area where there is no other option, so he is happy with anything.

That being said at peak times he is only getting around 2 megs download, upload always seems to stays constant around 512k. It's still not bad at that unless you are trying to download some big files.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aclareman

Thanks CptSternn,

Seems like its much that same as the 3G mobile broadband speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ozalseker

I have contacted to upc lately to ask when would upc broadband available in Ennis and

surrounding areas, I was advised there are now only deal with Co,Dublin and send me a

2012 covera map.But Ennis is not on the list of map.

But I am thinking if many people ring upc and demand broadband service,they may

updates the optic service cables.We should make a group in Facebook or here in boards

to show service demand in Ennis. Any ideas.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 nern

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/recommends/?BV_EngineID=null&BV_SessionID=null&cid=BBResults&option1=0&option2=46&option3=16&option4=15&linespeed=&invalid=0&ngb=false

Next Generation Broadband / 24 meg with off peak calls.

Looks like they have raised the price by like a few cents so it is now €61.73, but it was €59.99.

FUP on that is 250gb.
    Found a similar package on vodafone website with 350gb allowance.

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/homebroadband/productdetails.jsp?productid=572059&producttypetab=HOMEPHONEBROANDBAND&categorytab=subcategory_2&perlicoid=115068

Is there any website where you can compare BB providers by usage limits?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BobLoblaw77

ozalseker wrote: »
    I have contacted to upc lately to ask when would upc broadband available in Ennis and

surrounding areas, I was advised there are now only deal with Co,Dublin and send me a

2012 covera map.But Ennis is not on the list of map.

But I am thinking if many people ring upc and demand broadband service,they may

updates the optic service cables.We should make a group in Facebook or here in boards

to show service demand in Ennis. Any ideas.?

Apparently UPC are in Shannon now, so hopefully it won't be too long before they make it as far as Ennis. I had to get Vodafone fixed line broadband a few months ago as I couldn't wait any longer. 40GB download and getting a steady 5.5MB for 40 euros a month. Seems very good so far. The previous house I was in had Eircom broadband and was struggling to get 2Mb at times...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

Just got upgraded to the 10mb with Wimax yesterday in ennis for 45 per month. speeds seem better will test it when i get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Apparently UPC are in Shannon now, so hopefully it won't be too long before they make it as far as Ennis. I had to get Vodafone fixed line broadband a few months ago as I couldn't wait any longer. 40GB download and getting a steady 5.5MB for 40 euros a month. Seems very good so far. The previous house I was in had Eircom broadband and was struggling to get 2Mb at times...
    UPC have been in Shannon for a few years

A mate of mine was talking to a UPC rep at one of those stands in a shopping center in Limerick, he asked about the availability of UPC in Ennis and whether they will come. He said never.

Ouch.

• Advertisement

Battleflag wrote: »
    UPC have been in Shannon for a few years

A mate of mine was talking to a UPC rep at one of those stands in a shopping center in Limerick, he asked about the availability of UPC in Ennis and whether they will come. He said never.

Ouch.

But is that the regular fibre UPC or the other UPC connections? They also offer a line of sight outside aerial style connection which is like WiMax. I wasn't aware that they had anything other than that available outside of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

But is that the regular fibre UPC or the other UPC connections? They also offer a line of sight outside aerial style connection which is like WiMax. I wasn't aware that they had anything other than that available outside of Dublin.

Dunno what they are using but 30MB/s (and maybe higher) is available in Shannon (according to my son who uses them) where they are cabled .... not sure of the coverage.

Sure beats my crappy 3MB/s :(

That definitely sounds like fibre. I'll have to look into that! I was under the impression they didn't do fiber outside of Dublin!

Imagine offers REAL unlimited usage (no fair usage rubbish)

http://www.imaginebusiness.ie/broadband/broadband_wireless.php
    http://www.imaginebusiness.ie/broadband/broadband_dsl.php

AFAIK it is the only real unlimited one.

Advertisement