Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working more than 6 months on a WHV in the same job

Options
  • 07-08-2011 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,
    Just wondering how this is enforced or if it is at all. As far as I am aware you are not supposed to work with the one employer for longer than 6 months on a WHV. I'm on my 2nd yr WHV and have just gone over the 6 mth mark in my job now. I'm wondering if I should be getting my sponsorship sorted pronto or is this rule enforced at all?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I've never heard of anyone getting in any trouble over staying in a job for more than six months. However if you apply for a permanent visa in the future it will look bad if you've broken the conditions of any previous visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If there is a chance of sponsorship grab it, I don't know how enforced it is, but there will be records, the company can get into trouble for breaking employment law, any wages you get paid will leave a paper trail etc.

Also if immigration see you went over you could be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

When I started in my last job they noted the exact day that I would be finished with them after the 6 months would be complete. I left that job exactly 6 months after i started, they said they did not want to break the rules and get in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i had to quit my job the day before the six months and wait for my sponsorship to come through which took about a week. I think the issue is that if you break the six months rule then you've been in breach of your visa conditions and that is a question that turns up in paperwork for other visas. They might not find out but if they do it could cost you.

that said i honestly dont know how strict they are if you get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

thanks for the info. I've started the sponsorship process which apparently can take up to 90 days for approval. I've asked the boss to hold off on the wages for now till its all sorted as I'm just over the 6 mths now. I was on to immigration today and there is a form i can fill out too for an exemption to the 6 month rule while my application is being processed. Hopefully I'll get sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luder

Once you apply for sponsorship you get a bridging visa, this is valid until the application as been either approved or denied...and as far as i am aware with the bridging visa you are entitled to continue working with the original company then beyond the 6 month mark

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

im pretty sure the bridging visa is a specific visa that you have to apply for at least two weeks before the six months comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

luder wrote: »
    Once you apply for sponsorship you get a bridging visa, this is valid until the application as been either approved or denied...and as far as i am aware with the bridging visa you are entitled to continue working with the original company then beyond the 6 month mark
    uglyjohn wrote:
    im pretty sure the bridging visa is a specific visa that you have to apply for at least two weeks before the six months comes around.

A bridging visa is automatically granted when you apply for a 457 visa, however, the bridging visa does not come into effect until your current visa runs out i.e. you remain on your WHV until its up and then begin your bridging visa.

The bridging visa (Bridging Visa A) has the same work conditions as the previous visa (WHV) so the 6 month rule still applies. If you wish to remain working with the company beyond the 6 months and your 457 visa application has been lodged, you should apply for an extension which is generally granted if you have made a genuine application.

Advertisement