Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet

• 07-08-2011 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭

Any boardsies get their hands on this tablet?
    I played with one friday and I'm finding it hard not to run out and buy one today.
    Any feedback would be appreciated ^^

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

brendanL wrote: »
    Any boardsies get their hands on this tablet?
    I played with one friday and I'm finding it hard not to run out and buy one today.
    Any feedback would be appreciated ^^

At least you did better than me, when you were able to walk away from it :D
    Got one of these and its a fantastic little thing, its my first android device so im
    Still getting used to its layout. In my opinion its better than ipad2 ;)
    It gives the full desktop web which is a big plus for me. It has basic programs such as
    Word, excel and power point.
    Check out some youtube reviews cause they will explain how good this device is better than me.

Good luck with your purchase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

As far as I know it's the 10.1v that's available here. If you can actually get a 10.1 it has all the same hardware but is thinner than ipad2 as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Zagato wrote: »
    As far as I know it's the 10.1v that's available here. If you can actually get a 10.1 it has all the same hardware but is thinner than ipad2 as well

Yeah the 10.1 .. ie the slim one was released here on thursday/friday I think. Held one in pcworld/currys in Jervis on friday. It's pretty cheap in stores compared to online atm 0_0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

brendanL wrote: »
    Yeah the 10.1 .. ie the slim one was released here on thursday/friday I think. Held one in pcworld/currys in Jervis on friday. It's pretty cheap in stores compared to online atm 0_0.

How much Brendan??? Looking to get the 10.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

keith_d99 wrote: »
    How much Brendan??? Looking to get the 10.1

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-Galaxy-Tab-101-P7500-WiFi-16GB-White/307331/2.9

479.99 by the looks of things.. I think power city have it on their site too.. but their webpage makes my web dev eyes bleed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

must. resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I got one at the weekend. Have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed by it, may sell it. In fairness I don't think it's the Tab 10.1 that's the problem though, I think it's tablets in general. What are the rest of you using yours for? I haven't found a single thing I can do with it that isn't easier with either a laptop, a phone, or both :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Browser or rdp onto a real computer.
    Few games and that's it.

Not a great investment lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Breezer wrote: »
    I got one at the weekend. Have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed by it, may sell it. In fairness I don't think it's the Tab 10.1 that's the problem though, I think it's tablets in general. What are the rest of you using yours for? I haven't found a single thing I can do with it that isn't easier with either a laptop, a phone, or both :(

Reading mags, checking email, surfing, the odd game (too many hours spent on that though, I'm thinking of deleting those) & video.

For work stuff my laptop is better. But the tablets not for work. For me, the lightness of the tablet plus the long battery life (meaning I never have to worry about the power cable) means I'm more likely to have it near me than my laptop. I don't miss having to wait for a laptop to boot just so I can check a bit of information on a website. Now it's turn on tablet, check info and have it turned off again in less than the time a laptop would have booted.

I was on holiday recently and took the tablet rather than a laptop. I didn't miss the laptop and the tablet was way lighter in the backpack. I would have missed the laptop if I'd wanted to do any work though.

But it's all subjective, a tablet is more an addition to your list of tech. It doesn't really replace anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

But I can do that on my G10 Gpad android tab. which cost 100euro, battery power is just as good if you switch off wifi when not browsing the net.

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »
    But I can do that on my G10 Gpad android tab. which cost 100euro,

That's like saying I can do all my work on my old Pentium, why buy a new computer. Sure the Pentium works fine but you see the difference when you move to the newer spec.

I had an Archos 101 before I got my Xoom. I didn't use the Archos because the screen was crappy and the processor was slow. It just wasn't comfortable enough using it. It's kind of hard to define. I can't compare to your G10 as I haven't used that tablet.

I use the Xoom every day. I had the Archos for a couple of months and rarely used it. But again that's subjective. To me the extra money was worth it for the better experience. It might not be worth it to somebody else so the cheaper tablets are fine.

battery power is just as good if you switch off wifi when not browsing the net.

That's fine. I don't have to worry about turning off WiFi to save battery. And by the same logic I suppose my battery life would be longer again if I turned off my WiFi :D

Fair enough, I can see the attraction of having better battery power but at almost 4 times the cost of a GPAD/clone etc I don't think its worth the extra money.

I know the gpad is no where near as powerful and as good as the galaxy tab but for basics like net use, ebooks, pics, gaming and movies I just couldn't justify spending 479 euros..

Also for the record, I'd prefer to run a version of linux on that same pentium PC as I know it would meet my performance needs.

;)

Fair enough, I can see the attraction of having better battery power but at almost 4 times the cost of a GPAD/clone etc I don't think its worth the extra money.

The difference between a GPAD and a Honeycomb tablet is more than a better battery. :D

Also for the record, I'd prefer to run a version of linux on that same pentium PC as I know it would meet my performance needs.

;)

Like I said it's subjective. I'm sure an old Pentium running linux won't have the same performance as a new PC running linux but if you're happy with it that's fine. Nobodys forcing you or even asking you to buy a Honeycomb tablet.

You could have even saved more money. Vodafone have a €39 Android phone for sale. That does all the list too and it makes phone calls so it has an extra feature.

Been in the market for a Tablet for a couple of months - am an iPhone owner alright - and wanted to go Android for a Tablet.

Having playing with both Samsung Galaxy and iPad - was leaning towards Android - till I looked for apps. This is where Apple win I'm afraid by a country mile. I had presumed that iphone apps and ipad would be the same - I was wrong. iPad apps are amazing - Sky news even RTE news, are excellent iPad apps.
    Taking these as an example - no Honeycomb versions in the pipeline. RTE Player should be on iPad by the end of the year too. I thing tablets are all about the apps. For home use, people don't even want to open browsers - They want to use their favourite apps.

Another thing I didn't like about Android - is no guarantee you will get the Ice Cream Sandwich update (or other future updates). With Apple you are more or less guaranteed a few years' ios updates. Could be wrong on this - but iPad will keep it's value better.

I wanted to want an Android tablet, but I think it is still playing catchup too iPad. Hopefully in 12 months time, Android will catch up. But for now, iPad is the winner for me, and will go with that - I know this probably isn't the most popular thing to say on an Android forum, just my opinion.

The difference between a GPAD and a Honeycomb tablet is more than a better battery. :D

Like I said it's subjective. I'm sure an old Pentium running linux won't have the same performance as a new PC running linux but if you're happy with it that's fine. Nobodys forcing you or even asking you to buy a Honeycomb tablet.

You could have even saved more money. Vodafone have a €39 Android phone for sale. That does all the list too and it makes phone calls so it has an extra feature.

Ok if you want to drag the thread that way you go ahead.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    iPad apps are amazing - Sky news even RTE news, are excellent iPad apps.
    Taking these as an example - no Honeycomb versions in the pipeline. RTE Player should be on iPad by the end of the year too. I thing tablets are all about the apps. For home use, people don't even want to open browsers - They want to use their favourite apps.

I'd disagree with that (I must be argumentative this morning). I use plenty of video sites. They work on Android or you need an app for them on iPad. For home use people just want their stuff to work. RTE Player works on Android now. http://www.rte.ie/player/
    Sky Player probably doesn't work on Android though. Doesn't that use Silverlight. I dunno, I don't have Sky.

Android doesn't need an app for sites. Yes it's nicer but you're screwed on iPad if you're using a site that doesn't have an app. Well I think you're screwed. I've a mate who has an iPad and gets annoyed when I show him stuff working on my tablet that doesn't work on his.

Ok if you want to drag the thread that way you go ahead.

FFS. :rolleyes:
    But I can do that on my G10 Gpad android tab. which cost 100euro, battery power is just as good if you switch off wifi when not browsing the net.

Edit: Maybe it's a good point. It is a bit idiotic arguing about other devices in a thread entitled Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet. If you want to say how your Gpad is better it's probably better for a new thread. So I won't post about it again in this thread.

I'd disagree with that (I must be argumentative this morning). I use plenty of video sites. They work on Android or you need an app for them on iPad. For home use people just want their stuff to work. RTE Player works on Android now. http://www.rte.ie/player/
    Sky Player probably doesn't work on Android though. Doesn't that use Silverlight. I dunno, I don't have Sky.

Android doesn't need an app for sites. Yes it's nicer but you're screwed on iPad if you're using a site that doesn't have an app. Well I think you're screwed. I've a mate who has an iPad and gets annoyed when I show him stuff working on my tablet that doesn't work on his.

Fair and good point Mick about RTE Player - you're right Android has it now (albeit in browser mode). Re the Flash debate - I don't think that is going to be a big issue going forward - HTML 5 is the future there I think. Just look at Chrome apps on your pc to see how HTML5 is being used (sky+ app being a good example).

Rightly or wrongly (most def wrongly), Apple has forced major sites to incorporate Flash less and less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭browne_rob5

Sky Go has replaced Sky player and is now available on both Iphone and Ipad. (You can use 2 devices per Sky subscription.) Not available on Android yet but Sky say it will before the end of the year.

http://go.sky.com/vod/content/Home/Application_Navigation/Help/Service_Status/content/l/l/content/474/termsPage.do

I'm looking to purchase a tablet and think I am going to go with the Galaxy. I know there are far less Apps around at the moment but I think they will improve given the quality of the android tablets coming out.

I live in the channel Islands and have been looking to buy it online as the stores here are a rip off. Its not available on Amazon or Dabs at the moment. Are there any other websites I might be able to order it off?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Alan_Madden

Check this price out lads!!! http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-28-TP7510&pages=1&prod=TP7510&brands=SAMSUNG&image=
    Cheapeast so far.....am biting my nails on whether to get the Credit Card out.

Also, you may have heard of the HP Touchpad price has dropped to $99 so hopefully will hit the €99 mark here, so for those of you who don't want to replace anything but just want a tablet for browsing, videos etc, then it might be worth a buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Check this price out lads!!! http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-28-TP7510&pages=1&prod=TP7510&brands=SAMSUNG&image=
    Cheapeast so far.....am biting my nails on whether to get the Credit Card out.

Also, you may have heard of the HP Touchpad price has dropped to $99 so hopefully will hit the €99 mark here, so for those of you who don't want to replace anything but just want a tablet for browsing, videos etc, then it might be worth a buy.

Is it not €480 everywhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Alan_Madden

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Is it not €480 everywhere ?

Hey bigcheeze, correct. I should have said that it "was" 409 on Saturday online. I noticed today it went back up and meant to edit this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

Hey bigcheeze, correct. I should have said that it "was" 409 on Saturday online. I noticed today it went back up and meant to edit this thread.

Possibly in response to Currys/PC World sale at the weekend, I picked one up for €407 on Saturday - absolutely love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

pepperds wrote: »
    Possibly in response to Currys/PC World sale at the weekend, I picked one up for €407 on Saturday - absolutely love it

Don't read this thread then http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056362805

PC World sold off their stock this morning for €99 for the 16GB and €129 for the 32GB and sites like www.expansys.ie and others are about to do the same as soon as they get the all clear from HP. In fact www.expansys.ie are selling off their stock at exactly 6pm this evening. The price is still displayed as €529.98 for the 32GB but will drop back to €129 at 6pm subject to HP giving them the OK.

The major downside is Expansys only have 50 of them for sale and there are thousands waiting to pounce.

Good luck if you give it a go.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

New update out for the Galaxy 10.1 Wifi version. 'KME'

Refresh of the UI is nice. Browser bookmark bug I had is fixed. Couple new apps included. Swype is installed by default.

BenEadir wrote: »
    Don't read this thread then http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056362805

PC World sold off their stock this morning for €99 for the 16GB and €129 for the 32GB and sites like www.expansys.ie and others are about to do the same as soon as they get the all clear from HP.

You know the HP is not running Android right? HP are dumping WebOS so it's a good price but you're getting something that will have shag all apps developed for it.
    There's work over at XDA to port Android to it but you if it ever works it'll most likely be a complicated conversion with no support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

You know the HP is not running Android right? HP are dumping WebOS so it's a good price but you're getting something that will have shag all apps developed for it.
    There's work over at XDA to port Android to it but you if it ever works it'll most likely be a complicated conversion with no support.

Hi Mick,

Yes I know that and whilst I'm a sucker for messing around with Android ROM's on my phones etc I doubt I'll mess with the €129 32GB WebOS TouchPad I have winging it's way to me as it's going to be exclusively used in the house for reading news online over breakfast (by me), general web surfing and messing around on the web by the kids and watching movies. It's not going to be used for much else so I'm not going to turn it into a flawed Android device.

I'll wait until I get an Ice Cream tablet in a few months before I start that!!!

FYI I was merely pointing out to Alan Madden that the €407 he paid for his TouchPad on Saturday (which he absolutely loves) were available yesterday in PC World, Elara.ie and other retailers and E-tailers for €99 or €129 depending on model and I wasn't doing it to rub his nose in it either but I guess I was trying to be a bit of a smart arse and should really apologise.

Sorry Alan :o

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

BenEadir wrote: »
    FYI I was merely pointing out to Alan Madden that the €407 he paid for his TouchPad on Saturday (which he absolutely loves) were available yesterday in PC World, Elara.ie and other retailers and E-tailers for €99 or €129 depending on model and I wasn't doing it to rub his nose in it either but I guess I was trying to be a bit of a smart arse and should really apologise.

Sorry Alan :o

Ben

title of thread is Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet ...
    no one is talking about buying touchpads for 407

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Kies is telling me that "This version of the device cannot be updated". Anyone else getting the same? Must..update..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

I've been waiting to buy this bad boy for months. I'm not sure about picking up the 16GB version though. Has anyone got it? Stupid question but does the 16GB fill up fast? I want this for business primarily as I travel a lot so wanted to have it for films etc as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Surely these have expansion SD slots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Surely these have expansion SD slots?
    Dont think the Galaxy Tab does. Didnt see any when I was playing with it anyway and none listed on the specs

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just watched a video of it - no USB port or HDMI output either... just how do you get stuff onto it?

squire23 wrote: »
    I've been waiting to buy this bad boy for months. I'm not sure about picking up the 16GB version though. Has anyone got it? Stupid question but does the 16GB fill up fast? I want this for business primarily as I travel a lot so wanted to have it for films etc as well.
    Just watched a video of it - no USB port or HDMI output either... just how do you get stuff onto it?

I don't have a Tab. I've a Xoom but the answer I have would do you.

I use an app called Plex to stream movies from a PC -> tablet. This is only really handy if you have a PC on all the time.

Another app I use is WiFi Explorer
    It sets up a server app on your tablet that you can browse to on your PC. Not as quick as plugging in a USB cable but handy enough.
    SwiFTP is similar. It sets up a FTP server on your tablet and it's free. You need a proper FTP client on your PC though.

Finally. Dropbox is dead handy. Put the files you want to share into the Dropbox folder on your PC. Then they're automatically available on the tablet.

Those apps probably don't suit everyone and you have to be fairly well connected to the internet but for me they mean I never use more than a couple of Gig and I haven't plugged the tablet into a PC in months.

It's a bit mad that the tab doesn't have a USB port though. I was on holidays last month. It was dead handy being able to plug my camera in and upload photos to Facebook. I know you can take photos with a tablet but you'd look a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 does not have any slots or ports except for the Samsung connector at the bottom. You get a USB cable with it for connecting to the charger for charging or to a PC for file transfers/firmware updates/etc. Note that it will not charge from a USB port on the computer, it only charges from the AC adapter.

You can use the Kies software from Samsung to transfer files to the tablet. This works over USB, and may also work with a Bluetooth connection, but I couldn't get that working. You are also supposed to be able to connect to Kies over WiFi if you're on the same wireless network, but I haven't tried that yet.

I got the 32GB version since it's not expandable, and my experience with devices is that you will always fill it up :)

In terms of connecting cameras etc., there is supposed to be a USB & SD card adapter accessory, but I'm not sure if it's available widely. There is also a HDMI adapter cable, and a HDMI dock. It's a pain the way Samsung have done this rather than include the ports, looks like they're looking to make as much as possible off the accessories I guess.

It may be possible of course to use a female to female USB adapter to allow the packaged USB cable to provide a USB "port", but I haven't tried that either :)

Of course, local storage is out of fashion now - store everything in the cloud and stream it over WiFi :) If you're thinking of doing that, take a look at Subsonic - I can stream my home music & movie collection from my PC over WiFi and the Internet to any Flash-capable device, and they have an Android client too. Note that movie streaming is only unlocked once you make a donation :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

This doesn't sound too good and makes me feel a little bit happier that I got the Xoom rather than the Galaxy Tab.

I never hook up my Xoom to my computer - I use File Manager HD or ES File Explorer to browse my shared folders on my home network and copy them over Wifi.
    In the couple of months I have the Xoom, I think I used the USB connection once, but I do have an SD card in it bringing storage to 48GB which allows me to store a lot of music and movies on it.
    As said, streaming doesn't work unless you have your server switched on all the time.

I have to say I'm very happy with my Galaxy Tab, and for my use cases the lack of ports hasn't been a real problem - so far anyway :)

What has really enhanced my experience of using the tablet though is the case I got with it . It's a Belkin case that doubles as a stand, so you can have it propped up for watching movies, etc., or just for typing on with two hands. It also protects the tablet :)

Here's the details of it:
    http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=545466

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 kmanson

ceejay wrote: »
    I got the 32GB version since it's not expandable, and my experience with devices is that you will always fill it up :)

Did you buy the 32Gb version in Ireland, if so where? Didnt think they'd been released yet.

Itiching to get my hands on the 64Gb wifi, anyone know the release date - nothing on web as to when they will be released.

Cheers

K

I picked it up in Florida during the summer :)

Not sure when it will be available here.

I like the way in Honeycomb it just amalgamates the phone & SD card storage. The storage screen in settings just gives you a consolidated view of how the storage is being used - reminds me of the view in iTunes of your attached iPod/iPhone :) [see attachment]

It also means no worrying about how much space is available for installing apps - which is something I have to actively manage on my Nexus One. I have nearly 70 apps installed now.

I hope this feature is a Honeycomb feature that will carry over into Ice Cream Sandwich on phones, and not just a Samsung thing for the Tab due to the non-removable nature of the extra memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Guessing you can't sync an iTunes library to the tablet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You can probably sync your iTunes library using DoubleTwist.

Meteor have the Tab on display in their Limerick O'Connell St store now. Looks lovely, but no word of price etc yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭squareboy007

Conor108 wrote: »
    Guessing you can't sync an iTunes library to the tablet?

You can. Got one the other day and its mentioned in the manual.

Not sure how to do it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Can anyone tell me what sim free means when it comes to a product like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Can anyone tell me what sim free means when it comes to a product like this?

There's no contract, and it isn't locked to a network.

You just pay the for the tablet up front, not in monthly instalments like buying a phone.
    I suppose that should only apply to 3g models, but for a wifi only model I don't know why it would say sim free; avoid people expecting to pay for it month by month I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Sold my iPad 1 to fund a 10.1 today. Only issue I have is that Plex isn't working quite right, so I'm going to troubleshoot that. Overall, quite impressed. Very nippy. Just trying out Droid Comic Viewer and Perfect Viewer to see which one is best for comics.

Dice Player (which I use on my Sensation) works great, and plays .mkv files without a hitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

For anyone who has missed it, Skype 2.5 has been released. Video calling is now supported on the 10.1 (as well as another few android devices).

Edit: portrait video calling now supported too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hi Guys,

Looking for a site where I can download free apps.

Specifically looking for an autocad viewer app.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hi Guys,

Looking for a site where I can download free apps.

Specifically looking for an autocad viewer app.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

AutoCAD WS is available on the maket for free. It works on my desire S. Not sure if it is optimised for tablets...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Bluefoam wrote: »
    AutoCAD WS is available on the maket for free. It works on my desire S. Not sure if it is optimised for tablets...

As far as I can remember, while the app is free, you need have an account to use it which is not free unless you have a registered copy of AutoCAD I think

@smelly sock the apps can be filtered into ones that are free in the market.

There are a couple of other appstores, Getjar is one that has a few extra free apps, and Amazon appstore which has a paid app for free each day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

MaceFace wrote: »
    This doesn't sound too good and makes me feel a little bit happier that I got the Xoom rather than the Galaxy Tab.

I never hook up my Xoom to my computer - I use File Manager HD or ES File Explorer to browse my shared folders on my home network and copy them over Wifi.
    In the couple of months I have the Xoom, I think I used the USB connection once, but I do have an SD card in it bringing storage to 48GB which allows me to store a lot of music and movies on it.
    As said, streaming doesn't work unless you have your server switched on all the time.

What apps are you guys using to play back the videos on your tablet? Are they in MKV format? Can it play 720p well without stuttering? Has anyone rooted their Tab and installed a custom ROM? I thought mine was a bit sluggish with TouchWiz so thinking about rooting and putting Vanilla Honeycomb on it? Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    M

Edit: Just saw Dice player mentioned above and will give that a go!

• Advertisement
Advertisement