Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

ceejay wrote: »
    I have to say I'm very happy with my Galaxy Tab, and for my use cases the lack of ports hasn't been a real problem - so far anyway :)

What has really enhanced my experience of using the tablet though is the case I got with it . It's a Belkin case that doubles as a stand, so you can have it propped up for watching movies, etc., or just for typing on with two hands. It also protects the tablet :)

Here's the details of it:
    http://www.belkin.com/au/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=545466

Saw this at the weekend in PC World in Jervis, does it add much bulk to the tab?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

madmoe wrote: »
    Saw this at the weekend in PC World in Jervis, does it add much bulk to the tab?

Cheers,
    M

The short answer is yes :) - but in thickness only really. However, the tab itself is so thin that it's not a problem, for me anyway.

I've attached some photos to show the difference.

The short answer is yes :) - but in thickness only really. However, the tab itself is so thin that it's not a problem, for me anyway.

Cheers mate for taking the time to post the pics! I went for this - http://www.pyroskins.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-10.1-cases/clip-case-built-in-stand-black-leather.html

Got great reviews on XDA so that sold me on it - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1204995&page=18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Anyone think the screen is a bit too reflective, or having any problems with the accuracy of the touchscreen, e.g. selecting between 2 links near each other ?

F.

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Anyone think the screen is a bit too reflective, or having any problems with the accuracy of the touchscreen, e.g. selecting between 2 links near each other ?

F.

Loving mine so far and touch screen performs perfectly!

twerg_85 wrote: »

F.

Very occasionally it seems to be off a little bit, especially with items close together.

I'm very interested to see how Ice Cream Sandwich runs on this. Hopefully Samsung will get it out quickly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I can't understand the use of these cases. If I wanted a bulky device that was awkward & that I had to unfold to use, I'd get some sort of notebook PC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I can't understand the use of these cases. If I wanted a bulky device that was awkward & that I had to unfold to use, I'd get some sort of notebook PC...

I have the Xoom with the Otterbox defender which doubles (at least) the thickness.

Thickness is not an issue for me when I consider the positives of a case like this.

I can put the front of the case on, throw it in a bag and not worry about it. I have kids so I am not concerned about them using it "while sitting on the couch". If it drops, it is protected.

A tablet with a thick case is nothing like a notebook PC. While it could be roughly the same size (well, probably to a netbook more than a notebook), it has absolutely nothing else in common (instant on, touchscreen, ease of use).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Bluefoam wrote: »
    If I wanted a bulky device that was awkward & that I had to unfold to use, I'd get some sort of notebook PC...

The cases don't make it bulky and awkward though.

I've one of these.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Tuff-Luv-Multi-View-Hemp-Case-Cover-Motorola-Xoom-/140620273271?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item20bd9f1677#ht_3870wt_1199

I agree with you a bit though. If you're buying a tablet because it's skinny then these cases kind of negate that benefit. For me skinniness is way down on the list of benefits. Being able to throw it into a bag like MaceFace said and not worry about it getting a scratch is one bit that is fairly important for me as I travel a fair bit.

• Advertisement

The cases don't make it bulky and awkward.

I've one of these.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Tuff-Luv-Multi-View-Hemp-Case-Cover-Motorola-Xoom-/140620273271?pt=UK_iPad_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item20bd9f1677#ht_3870wt_1199

I agree with you a bit though. If you're buying a tablet because it's skinny then these cases kind of negate that benefit. For me skinniness is way down on the list of benefits. Being able to throw it into a bag like MaceFace said and not worry about it getting a scratch is one bit that is fairly important for me as I travel a fair bit.

I would be the same, I love having it in my hand without a cover but I can't bring it anywhere in me bag without something covering it! I would go mad if I ever got one scratch on it!!

On a side note guys, it is possible to side load books into the official Google Books app?

Cheers,
    M

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How quick is this to boot incidentally? My tablet takes longer than my PC to start up!

Just timed it and it's a full 30 seconds for a cold boot. I would have said it's around 10-15 seconds if I hadn't timed it though :) The battery lasts so long though that I usually just have to wake it from sleep, which is instant.

As for the case, I find the way it props the tablet up really useful, especially when reading or watching movies. It also makes it very handy for typing into Evernote for example - two handed typing is pretty quick on it. The added protection it gives to the tablet is also great. And the "bulk" is not that much really, it's still a lot more compact than a laptop or netbook even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Has anybody used the Galaxy Tab, as a navigation device in a car, in conjunction with Google Maps?
    Any comments? I really need to get me a Tom Tom, or the likes, but if the Galaxy did the job well, I would go the extra yoyo's:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

How quick is this to boot incidentally? My tablet takes longer than my PC to start up!

My understanding is that it depends on how many apps you have installed on your tablet. Mine (Xoom) takes a good two minutes I would say and when I read about it probably over on xda, "they" were saying that it starts every app on boot to do some loading.
    However, I rarely turn mine off as I use it every day.
    BeeDI wrote: »
    Has anybody used the Galaxy Tab, as a navigation device in a car, in conjunction with Google Maps?
    Any comments? I really need to get me a Tom Tom, or the likes, but if the Galaxy did the job well, I would go the extra yoyo's:)

I would say your problems are three fold - the size of the thing, how to mount it, and the battery.
    I use an Android phone for this purpose but the battery isn't up to anything except a short trip.
    Google Maps works fine for navigation, but you would need to have a data plan to download the maps (unless you cached up front).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I had my first play with the Galaxy earlier and I was seriously underimpressed. The screen response time was really slow. I tried it alongside an Asus transformer (nice piece of EQ, great connectivity, little on the heavy side, screen not top of the range), two Acer things which weighed a ton and a new Sony tablet that's shaped like a folded magazine. The Sony was pricey but nicey, lovely colours and the blacks are beautiful, also really nice to hold. I saw a xoom for 250€ on Amazon earlier too... wonder what will be around for christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Might as well keep this post here.

A new update is out for the 10.1 (P7510 - US version). It "fixed" the issue with the android client - the "client out of date" error but I started to have another problem.

After the update the Market wouldn't work. It loaded but showed only a black screen. I could get to the menu (top right) and see "My Apps" but when you clicked back to the home screen, you'd see the same black screen.

To fix it, I went onto market.android.com website. Searched for the Android Market app. Logged in and clicked to install the market. Let the current market app open the link and install the market app. Voila market back working.

I had to read through a few forums to find the fix. It would seem others had the same problem.

Nice "fix" Google :rolleyes:, btw where the hell is ICS? :(

Edit: It's available via KIES or OTA. Since the last update I couldn't get it to connect to KIES, so I had to update OTA.

Might as well keep this post here.

A new update is out for the 10.1 (P7510). It "fixed" the issue with the android client - the "client out of date" error but I started to have another problem.

After the update the Market wouldn't work. It loaded but showed only a black screen. I could get to the menu (top right) and see "My Apps" but when you clicked back to the home screen, you'd see the same black screen.

To fix it, I went onto market.android.com website. Searched for the Android Market app. Logged in and clicked to install the market. Let the current market app open the link and install the market app. Voila market back working.

I had to read through a few forums to find the fix. It would seem others had the same problem.

Nice "fix" Google :rolleyes:, btw where the hell is ICS? :(

I have the 3G 7510 as well and it's running Android 3.1 and is dog slow in a lot of ways!! When did you get the update? Just now? Was it via Kies?

Cheers,
    M

Just updated my post madmoe. I've a US version of the tab and I had to update OTA.

Btw, my tab was updated to 3.2 a good while ago. Don't have it with me today but I'm pretty sure it's 3.2

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Alan_Madden

I would say your problems are three fold - the size of the thing, how to mount it, and the battery.
    I use an Android phone for this purpose but the battery isn't up to anything except a short trip.
    Google Maps works fine for navigation, but you would need to have a data plan to download the maps (unless you cached up front).[/QUOTE]

I have the WIFI only tab and I have used it as GPS (turn on GPS, no need for data plan) and it did the job. Mounting it is an issue, but I just kept it connected to my radio (via AUX) and listened to it through the car speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Alan_Madden

Just updated my post madmoe. I've a US version of the tab and I had to update OTA.

Btw, my tab was updated to 3.2 a good while ago. Don't have it with me today but I'm pretty sure it's 3.2

Mine was updated to 3.2 over the weekend, COME ON 4.0!!!!!! Think it'll be nearer the summer before we see it tho :(

• Advertisement

Mine was updated to 3.2 over the weekend, COME ON 4.0!!!!!! Think it'll be nearer the summer before we see it tho :(

Feck, I have not gotten an OTA updates guys!! I had assumed the only way to update the Tab was by connecting it to Kies and when I did that it said my software was up to date?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thread a little out of date but just wondering if anyone can tell me the diff between the UK and the Irish version? Any difference at all?

Also is there a slot for SD card expansion? TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Just adding to the resurrected thread ..... recently had to buy a few Galaxy 10.1 tablets for work and according to CPW they are no longer getting in any new stock of them as they are just not selling.

From a personal point of view I was never that impressed by tablets in general. Small netbook, while a bigger does all a tablet can and lots more, and in the grand scheme of things they arent all that akward to travel with.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Just adding to the resurrected thread ..... recently had to buy a few Galaxy 10.1 tablets for work and according to CPW they are no longer getting in any new stock of them as they are just not selling.

From a personal point of view I was never that impressed by tablets in general. Small netbook, while a bigger does all a tablet can and lots more, and in the grand scheme of things they arent all that akward to travel with.

Can you perhaps answer my questions seems as you have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

vicwatson wrote: »

I would guess the only difference between the versions would be which countries SIM card they have in them [if they are the 3G version].

None of them have SD card expansions though, however, you can get adapters that connect into the data port at the bottom of the device.

If I were you, I would look at the Nexus 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

vicwatson wrote: »

I have a US version and 2 IE versions (all WiFi only) and the only difference I can see is the plug

Otacon wrote: »
    I would guess the only difference between the versions would be which countries SIM card they have in them [if they are the 3G version].

None of them have SD card expansions though, however, you can get adapters that connect into the data port at the bottom of the device.

If I were you, I would look at the Nexus 7.

Want a 10" screen though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

My one has a slot for a slot for a microSD one

I wish Samsung would hurry up and release ICS for the original 10.1 tab! Honeycomb is horrible. :mad:

Well I got fed up and decided to give Jelly Bean a go on my 10.1

Used the instructions over on an XDA thread - here. Working great. Google Now is very slick. Only downside is that there's no camera support. No other issues (yet!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Well I got fed up and decided to give Jelly Bean a go on my 10.1

Used the instructions over on an XDA thread - here. Working great. Google Now is very slick. Only downside is that there's no camera support. No other issues (yet!).

I am going to give this one a try, been using CM9 for a while and the only downside is the camera as well

Yeah having the camera would be handy for Skype etc, but I wasn't that bothered. Teh difference between HC and JB is incredible.

Followed the usual instructions for installing custom ROM and had no problems at all.

One thing I am missing though, is wifi tethering. Any ideas? I didn't even check if it was available or not on this ROM.
    akamossie wrote: »
    I am going to give this one a try, been using CM9 for a while and the only downside is the camera as well

Just an FYI that Samsung has finally released ICS for the 10.1

Looks like Italy is first - source.

Hopefully the XDA devs can finally get the camera driver working on their JB roms. :D

Advertisement