Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlay Park future?

Options
  • 07-08-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Just wondering will there be any big concerts in Marlay Park again?

I mean big concerts like they used to, not this new series of shows called @ The Park.

I've heard people talk about it on this forum but I thought @ The Park was going to be a permanent fixture with Marlay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

karaokeman wrote: »
    Just wondering will there be any big concerts in Marlay Park again?

I mean big concerts like they used to, not this new series of shows called @ The Park.

I've heard people talk about it on this forum but I thought @ The Park was going to be a permanent fixture with Marlay.

What was the attendance like at these tented gigs?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

MCD said Coronas and 2 Many Djs sold out , dont think the rest of them did.
    If @ The Park returns next year hopefully we get a better selection of acts since all them have played Ireland numerous times over the last few years (excluding Daltrey)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Really hope they bring back the big shows, I was at The Killers in 08 and Green Day last year and both were excellent shows. Its a great venue for bands that aren't quite big enough for a big stadium but still wanna play a big outdoor show. Would love to see someone like Kasabian or Arctic Monkeys play a big show there next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

arctic monkeys..
    not able to fill out a decent venue?
    extremely questionable

conno16 wrote: »
    arctic monkeys..
    not able to fill out a decent venue?
    extremely questionable

when they played the O2 the standing section didn't sell out for a long time, don't even know if it sold out at all. So they'd definitely struggle with a stadium over here. Don't know where other than Marlay Park they could play an outdoor show, Phoenix or Malahide perhaps...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Seen the Monkeys at Oxegen and must say i wouldnt be rushing back to see them. They just did nothing for me just played the songs and left it was like when The Killers headlined back in 2007(although after watching their 2009 slot they improved majorly)

Would love to see Kasabian headline Marlay with someone like Bloc Party underneath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

when they played the O2 the standing section didn't sell out for a long time, don't even know if it sold out at all. So they'd definitely struggle with a stadium over here. Don't know where other than Marlay Park they could play an outdoor show, Phoenix or Malahide perhaps...

That was an awful gig, last night of their European tour and they didnt give a crap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

threein99 wrote: »
    That was an awful gig, last night of their European tour and they didnt give a crap

Alex Turner is a bit of a d***** anyway so I wouldn't be surprised.

By Sunday week I'll have seen them 6 times and I will admit they are pretty or live, but I just always enjoy the gigs coz I love their music so much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Like most outdoor venues in this country, concerts are ruined by the s****y infrastructure and organisation by the promoters. Probably the worst venue(logistically) that I've ever been to a concert at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Been to Marlay Park quite a few times over the years and it's a Pain in the Hole.

Why don't they just have the concerts at Malahide Castle, ya can get there from town straight down the Malahide Road, DART station across the road from venue, many entrances/exits, and the best thing is, 5 mins from my gaff:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

scudzilla wrote: »
    Why don't they just have the concerts at Malahide Castle, ya can get there from town straight down the Malahide Road, DART station across the road from venue, many entrances/exits, and the best thing is, 5 mins from my gaff:D:D

I suspect a vested interest here. Anyhoo, whether they have it in Marlay or Malahide, they should make it more of a city festival (like Forbidden Fruit) rather than a series of gigs. Forbidden Fruit had plenty of complaints (beer availability) but it seemed that people enjoyed not having to shlep thier way back from Kildare, Meath or various other places.

JJ wrote: »
    I suspect a vested interest here. Anyhoo, whether they have it in Marlay or Malahide, they should make it more of a city festival (like Forbidden Fruit) rather than a series of gigs. Forbidden Fruit had plenty of complaints (beer availability) but it seemed that people enjoyed not having to shlep thier way back from Kildare, Meath or various other places.

This would be a really good idea. I went over to Hard Rock Calling in London this year and I felt that something like it would work really well in Dublin.

Advertisement