Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade question

Options
  • 07-08-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

ASUS M4A79XTTD EVO mobo
    AMD Phenom II X2 550
    4 Ghz OCZ Platinum DDR3
    4770 ATI Radeon graphics card

Question is what would be the next step up?
    Add 4gigs of ram or new graphics card?
    Budget around the 100 mark

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Best upgrade would probably be the graphics card, but with a budget of €100 the best you could get would be a 6770. That wouldn't give much of an improvement.

Extra RAM is nice, but unless you run lots of programs at once 4GB is usually enough to not see any significant difference.

I would probably go for an SSD:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT064M4Solid-State-Drive2-Solid/dp/B004W2JKWG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1312711511&sr=8-3

If you could find a Phenom II X4 955 for under €100 shipped that would be something to consider as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Would the 6870 be a card worth buying if i could get a few years out if it i'd stretch that far.

mav79 wrote: »
    Would the 6870 be a card worth buying if i could get a few years out if it i'd stretch that far.

Yeah the 6870 would do you well if you can get it cheap enough. Make sure your PSU can handle it first though.

Cheers for the info, is the ssd just for the operating system?

Cheers for the info, is the ssd just for the operating system?

With a 64GB SSD you can fit your OS + a few games and commonly used applications with a bit of room to spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭weisses

double post

Why do you want to upgrade ?

Not a big gamer but the last game i bought had to use the low settings, worked fine but just thinking of future releases

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i bought one recently and it's great. this is the one i got: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-126-MS

surprisingly quiet and very powerful with my i5 750 and 4gb of ram i can play crysis 2 and just cause 2 with full details at 1080p no bother.

ditto on the PSU requirements though, you need to feed it with two extra power connectors to get it going. :)

Not a big gamer but the last game i bought had to use the low settings, worked fine but just thinking of future releases

Yeah would go for a new graphics card then ... the one vibe 666 mentioned is very good but double your budget

• Advertisement
Advertisement