Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric Vehicles - Your thoughts - MotorMouth, Newstalk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Never Wrong

cnocbui wrote: »
    Duh!

But the whole point of the Topgear trial was that there wasn't a fast charge facility anywhere near Lincoln, so their 13 hr requirement to charge it was not a distortion, it was perfectly valid for the scenario.

They set out to purposely skew the public's opinion. They choose to highlight the drawbacks of EVs as opposed to the positives. They could have planned their journey in advance taking the location of fast charge points into account for their "trial". This would be the sensible approach.

She has good taste. I would be driving one myself if I didn't need the load carrying capacity of my Civic type R :D

I'm too lazy, but someone did it for the UK which wouldn't be far off:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18223974&page=7

Those calculations in the UK are 3 times more expensive than the real life example here:

2,100km costs €20 - €0.009 per km

3.7p per mile is equivalent to €0.042 per mile (0.877 exchange rate) or €0.026 per km.
    i.e 3 times more than the real life example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

robtri wrote: »
    Ok you are missing the point, big time.. can you today.. and i mean today drive from Dublin to Galway or Cork to Donegal with only a 30 min stop over in a learf... Currently today you cannot do it.. therefore the range is limited...

I never implied this was not good enough for me or for you or for anyone else. as our infrastructure network is completely inadequate range is a factor with EV's

no argument there, i dont see the point though, as the carbon footprint to make the car and the battery pack initially is greater than a similiar sized ICE car, clearly in its manufacturing the leaf is a bigger polluter...

sorry got my miles and CO2 per KM mixed up, so the numbers are slighty skewed, will look at them again... what sort of class would u put the leaf into???

that link does not prove anything, there is also an estiamte for 1,000 to 1200 dollars per KWH ......
    be curious to see what nissan say...

the battery pack according to nissan has a lifespan of 5 to 10 years only under normal use... in other words you need to repalce it every 5 to 10 years....

but it is the FOR NOW we are talking about ..
    also while yes there are a lot less serviceable parts on the LEAF, it has to be serviced at NISSAN, where labour costs are twice that of a local mechanic servicing your car... what you save in parts ( spark plugs, filters and oil) will be made up in labour costs.

and expect electricity to rise as well... our primary source of energy in Ireland is fossil fuel based.
    carbon taxs will also effect electricity ....

1. Today I could, there is a public slow charger in Athlone, it would take about 6 hours to top up the battery before leaving Athlone. totally unacceptable of course, but I'm just replying that it is today technically possible.

The ESB have informed us (Irish EV Owners <- group name) that the Athlone FCP (fast charging point) will be operational within 1 month. All 30+ FCP's will be in operation by the end of the year. I bought the car with my eyes wide open, I knew it would take a little bit of time to get the main infrastructure up and running. I also know for a fact that the Nissan dealers have a playbook for dealing with potential Leaf customers. If there is any chance you don't understand the current day limitations, then they will recommend against buying a Leaf. Nissan are very strict about this, they don't need customers who don't understand this buying Leaf's and then making bad PR.

You point re Dublin to Galway is only valid for 4 to 5 more weeks. No big deal for me, couldn't care less. As I said I went in with my eyes wide open. The rest of the country will be covered by end of year. When the first ICE cars came out were there petrol stations everywhere? I think you're being unreasonable expecting that the country should be completely covered from day one.

2. A diamond encrusted gold necklace costs a lot, but does it have a large carbon footprint to make? I accept the possibility the Leaf has a slightly higher carbon impact during manufacture compared to an equivalent ICE car. But I don't accept the assumption that current high battery cost equals high carbon cost. Where is the evidence that the Leaf really does have a much higher carbon cost to manufacture?

3. The car we replaced was a 2000 model Audi A6 Avant Quattro Sport 2.5TDI. Cars we considered as replacements were:

Skoda Yeti
    Nissan Leaf

I would say comparing it to the Skoda Yeti is fair in terms of space, equipment level and comfort level. Obviously there are differences, no two cars are the same. But that is my opinion anyway. I'd highly recommend you test drive the Leaf, don't take my word on it!

4. There are competing figures out there, that's why I emailed the Product Director in Nissan Ireland today. But other sources give an indication:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1064332_nissan-leafs-battery-pack-should-last-as-long-as-the-car
    As for the claims from both Top Gear, The Times, and The Telegraph that rapid level 3 charging will kill a Leaf battery pack within three years, Nissan disagrees.

“We are confident that [rapid] charging once a day will have no impact on the expected durability,” said a Nissan representative. “A single [rapid] charge plus a conventional charge per day would give enough to travel almost 200 miles a day, or 72,000 miles a year. The average motorist does less than 10,000 miles a year. An example from our telematics shows a privately-owned Leaf in Tokyo still has 100% charge capacity after 10,000 miles and 326 [rapid] charges."

And price? The figures claimed by the press for a replacement pack are completely inflated, Nissan
    “To make the maintenance of the Leaf as easy as possible, the “battery” is actually 48 batteries in a large box which can be replaced individually to keep costs low. Each is connected to the Leaf’s advanced telematics system so Nissan can monitor the health of each module remotely. The price quoted in the press of [$31,795] for an entire battery is not indicative of the actual cost. It is an extrapolation of the individual price of replacing a single battery multiplied by 48. The cost of a conventional engine and transmission built up from individually sourced parts would be similarly high

5. Servicing a Leaf is a quick inspection and plug it into a computer. That's it, only if you need new brake pads (which wear less quickly due to regen braking) or tyres say, do they then need to do anything else. It really is just plug into a computer. I just rang my dealer there and asked what price do they charge for labour and he told me 72 euro per hour. When I bought the car I was told servicing would be 80 euro per year, so I guess they're roughly charging for 1 hours labour. 72 euro per hour does not equal twice the cost of a local mechanic.

The other point on this is that it is a new car. I would say the vast majority of people bring their new cars (which are under warranty) to their main dealer to have it serviced. You can't compare a secondhand out of warranty car to a new car being serviced at a main dealer. Apples and oranges!

6. I do expect electricity to rise, I expect oil to rise faster than electricity. The government also plans to increase renewable's from their current level of 14% to 40% by 2020.

This is directed at no one in particular, but can people stop quoting Top Gear's charging time of 13 hours. That is the time it takes if you plug into a normal 3 pin domestic socket.

In Ireland the ESB has disallowed this charging method. All home charging is done by a dedicated (and free) external 16 amp home charging unit. Charge time is 7 hours maximum (tested by me, 0% to 100% on home charger). All slow on street chargers currently being installed do either 16 amp or 32 amp charging as well. So that 7 hours on the street as well, or 3 to 4 hours for next years Ford Focus EV and Renault Fluence ZE.

There is no 13 hour charge time in Ireland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Those calculations in the UK are 3 times more expensive than the real life example here:

2,100km costs €20 - €0.009 per km

3.7p per mile is equivalent to €0.042 per mile (0.877 exchange rate) or €0.026 per km.
    i.e 3 times more than the real life example.

The LEAF uses 0.2113 kwh per km (wiki)
    The Eirtricty price on my bill for 1 kwh is €0.141
    So the cost per km is €0.03 - rounding to the cent - not €0.009

The Nissan Note I used in my previous example gets 5.9l per 100k
    With diesel costing 1.41 (pumps.ie) the cost per km is €0.08 rounded

66% of the cost of fuel is tax so the fuel costs per km for the Note would be €0.03 rounded - the same as the LEAF - surprise, surprise.

Even with the current tax regime (€0.08 per km), The LEAF only breaks even with the Note after being driven 107,500 km, given the €8600 price difference between the two after the subsidy - without the subsidy, the break even point would be 170,000 km

Without the massive Tax skewing, the Note would would be much, much cheaper to own and operate.

• Advertisement

66% of the cost of fuel is tax so the fuel costs per km for the Note would be €0.03 rounded - the same as the LEAF - surprise, surprise.

Even with the current tax regime (€0.08 per km), The LEAF only breaks even with the Note after being driven 107,500 km, given the €8600 price difference between the two after the subsidy - without the subsidy, the break even point would be 170,000 km

Without the massive Tax skewing, the Note would would be much, much cheaper to own and operate.

The real life example gives a cost per km of the LEAF of €0.01 rounded. The reason for the difference between this and your calculations is that wiki assumes a lower range ((24/0.2113) = 114 km) and the cost of electricity at the night rate is about half the cost of the day rate (approx. €0.07). This data cannot be argued with.

It is unlikely that the taxes on petrol or diesel will ever be lowered so the consumer will always pay far more to run an ICE vehicle compared to an EV.

Here are my stats for July

170382.jpg

You can't say I didn't cover much ground and my average economy is much better than what you got from Wikipedia.

Also my ESB bill says I pay .07 euro/kwh + VAT at 13.5% for night rate charging. This is when I and all other EV owners I know, charge our cars.

169525.jpg

If you'd read any posts on here you'd know the Leaf has a charging scheduler. You can plug it in at home whenever you like, but it won't start charging until a time I've told it to start. 00:10 each night for me. So it is perfectly convenient to charge at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

I don't think that Note and Leaf are comparable class vehicles. Leaf is automatic and silent for a start

Elec cars do not compete very well with ICE cars yet - even with many subsidies. Presumably this will change with higher taxes on conventional cars and advances in electrical car technology. Best selling small car in Norway this year was an electric car (Mitsu i-miev). This is a result of huge taxes on conventional cars and even broader subsidies for electric (free parking and tolls)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

The E6 battery technology looks good.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/BYD-e6-first-drive/257839/

22611113575363356x236.jpg
    BYD currently limits testing to its premises, which prevents a full test of its claimed range of 186 miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aoY6mupCtU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,670 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In Ireland the ESB has disallowed this charging method. All home charging is done by a dedicated (and free) external 16 amp home charging unit.

So ESB supply and fit a 16 amp charging unit in your home for free? No change to your monthly standing charges? Do you have to pay ESB for your electricty (as opposed to Board Gais, or whateve other supplier) or does that not matter?

Another question: how much do you pay per kwh at a fast charging station (the 30 minute one you mentioned)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The real life example gives a cost per km of the LEAF of €0.01 rounded. The reason for the difference between this and your calculations is that wiki assumes a lower range ((24/0.2113) = 114 km) and the cost of electricity at the night rate is about half the cost of the day rate (approx. €0.07). This data cannot be argued with.

It is unlikely that the taxes on petrol or diesel will ever be lowered so the consumer will always pay far more to run an ICE vehicle compared to an EV.

I can't get nightsaver electricity at €0.07 - also can't be argued with. I will grant you the wiki energy consumption seems to be overstated by a lot.

I will concede that with 7c per kwh electricity and .12 kwh per km efficiency it does look like a much better proposition.

I was never arguing the taxes on hydrocarbon fuels will ever be lowered. What has to happen is the government will, at some point, have to start taxing electric vehicles or some other part of the economy to make up the revenue shortfall that would inevitably result if a significant proportion of the vehicle fleet becomes electric.

With the Note, the government makes €0.05 cents for every k you drive. It is a huge revenue earner and the government would have to do something if it's receipts declined.

unkel wrote: »
    So ESB supply and fit a 16 amp charging unit in your home for free? No change to your monthly standing charges? Do you have to pay ESB for your electricty (as opposed to Board Gais, or whateve other supplier) or does that not matter?

Another question: how much do you pay per kwh at a fast charging station (the 30 minute one you mentioned)?

Totally free:

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Electric_Vehicle_Grant_Scheme/I_am_a_consumer/Charge_Infrastructur,_Time_Electricity_Supplier/
    Standard domestic Single Phase, 230 Volt, 16 Amp, 3.7kW
    The first 2,000 Domestic Sockets will be installed free of charge by ESB

You don't have to have the ESB as your electricity supplier either. You pay BG or Airtricity or whoever supplies your electricity. The ESB still gives you the free home charger.

The fast charging is free at the moment. Any price I mention is speculative, but I have heard between 2 to 6 euro for a complete charge. No one really knows yet. If Topaz can sell electricity do they need to register as an electricity supplier like ESB/Airtricity/BG? There must be regulations on selling electricity. Hopefully plenty of red tape to keep it free for another while yet (=

The FCP has an LCD screen with some options to select before charging. There is complete charge and then the other option is you specify the number of minutes you want to charge. It does give you a cost after charging (60 cent for a full charge I think), but for now we can just ignore it and drive off. I'm sure the unit cost is adjustable and is probably just on the default setting for now.

What has to happen is the government will, at some point, have to start taxing electric vehicles or some other part of the economy to make up the revenue shortfall that would inevitably result if a significant proportion of the vehicle fleet becomes electric.
    Correct. For the next few years, ESB and the state are funding a trial period to get the charging infrastructure rolled out and learn about how electric cars work in practice. Sesshoumaru is saving 180/month in fuel compared to say a new auto petrol VW Golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

My family and I have a Nissan Leaf. My wife and I have two young daughters and we got rid of both our old ICE cars in order to get a Nissan Leaf. We've had it over 3 months now and have done more than 7500km in it. It is our only car and it meets my families needs very well.

My eldest daughter is 4 years old and the youngest is 8 months. So my opinion on the car itself is coming from the perspective of a young family man. The car we used to have as our primary family car was a 2000 model Audi A6 Avant Quattro Sport 2.5TDI. This was a nice large estate car for a family. In comparison the boot the in Leaf is smaller, but large enough to accommodate baby buggy, shopping and anything else we like to throw in the boot usually.

Interior space in the car for passengers is on par with what we had in the Audi, for both front seat and back seat passengers. The car is very roomy on the interior. Overall everything is quite well put together and looks like it will stand up to abuse from kids.

The car has a lot of modern multimedia features like USB port, bluetooth, audio jack etc. Great for entertaining kids as you can easily put their favourite songs on USB memory sticks to play in the car. Safety wise it scored 5 stars on the Euro NCAP.

http://www.euroncap.com/results/nissan/leaf/2011/432.aspx
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbwQva75bbQ&feature=player_embedded#at=126

Handling wise the centre of gravity is very low on the car. This car was purpose built as an EV, not a redesigned petrol/diesel car. As such the batteries are below the passenger compartment running along the floor. This gives the car a perfect 50/50 weight distribution and low centre of gravity. While the steering is a little light, the car is a joy to drive. With 108bhp and 280 newton metres of torque, I'm very happy with the power available from the car. Of course as a modern car it also comes equipped with ABS and ESP as standard.

The car has a lot of intelligent features, I won't go into all of them. But features people will end up using a lot are the charging timer and climate control timer. In relation to the charging timer I have the car set as follows:

Monday to Thursday:
    Start charging at 00:10
    Charge to 80%

Friday to Sunday
    Start charging at 00:10
    Charge to 100%

This means I get home and I plug the car in, but it doesn't start charging until just after midnight. This way I take advantage of ESB night rates without having to go out to the car at midnight to plug it in then. The car also has a subscription free connection to the internet built-in. If you want it to, it can keep track of all journeys you make and it automatically keeps track of all energy used to charge it. This is then stored online and available for you to access using your username and password. This means I can log on to the Nissan Leaf portal online and see exactly how much the car is costing me. See screenshot below from my own portal (price below excludes VAT at 13.5%).

169525.jpg

The climate control timer I haven't used much yet as it's summer time. But basically you can schedule when you want the climate control to activate on whatever days and times you want. So in winter you could have the car start heating itself at 7:30am every Monday to Friday. Advantages of this are that when you get to your car it is nice and warm and fully defrosted. It also means it was all done using power from the charging unit on your house. When plugged in the car uses power from the plug to run the climate control. Before you leave for work your car is warm, defrosted and no power has been used from your battery leaving you with a full charge before you leave for work.

As far as range goes we actually drive more since we got our EV. Sunday afternoon drive? why not! It's only going to cost 1 to 2 euro for a leisurely spin. Beforehand we would drive less because a full tank of fuel would cost us 85 euro. If we want to go further we don't have to wait 7 hours (time it takes to charge from 0% to 100% on home charger or on street charger). We can just pull into a fuel station like this one in Newlands Cross Topaz

169542.jpg

This Fast Charger can take the Leaf from 0% to 84% in 30 minutes. Presumably you won't enter the station with 0% left, so most times getting back up to 84% charge will take less than 30 minutes. Too long for some, but a compromise my wife and I are happy to live with considering the other advantages of our EV.

Fast Charging technology also mean longer journeys are possible. As soon as the Topaz in Athlone has its Fast Charger operational we will be able to drive from Dublin to Galway with one 30 minute stop in between. Considering we have two young kids, this is not really an inconvenience, we would be stopping anyway. Not suitable for everybody, but for us we consider it a small sacrifice to gain the other immense advantages of owning an EV.

You'll probably get a lot of comments about EV's transferring the pollution back to power stations, they're not emission free etc. The common theme with these comments are usually that modern diesel engines will have similar or outperform EV's on emissions. I'd ask you to do your homework on this before just accepting those comments at face value. The emissions from a diesel or petrol car as rated by the manufacturer are only those at the point of emission i.e. the carbon the car itself emits while burning fossil fuels. This is the figure most people use when comparing their modern diesel car to an EV's emissions from the power plant. This completely ignores the fact that it takes a lot of energy (carbon emitted) to get oil out of the ground/seabed, transport it, refine it and transport it again (possibly several more times) before it ever goes into a cars fuel tank. Please check out these links:

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Electric_Vehicle_Grant_Scheme/I_am_a_consumer/Power_Station_to_Wheels/

http://web.mit.edu/evt/summary_wtw.pdf

I have to admit though I'm not a tree hugging hippy. I care about our planet, but I didn't want to save the planet by buying a Leaf. At the moment 14% of electricity in Ireland is generated by renewable sources. This can be and should be increased. This is energy we can generate ourselves without sending our money overseas to unstable oil producing regimes. People can go on and on about half the cost of petrol/diesel being taxes. But that other half leaves our country, leaves Europe even! and goes to places like Libya (where 20% of our oil used to come from before the war). If we use EV's and charge them using domestically produced energy, that's money and jobs staying in Ireland.

The other big reason we chose to get rid of our ICE cars and go with one EV as our family car is that, in the long run it will be a lot cheaper than owning a petrol or diesel car. How many moving part does a petrol or diesel car have in their engine? Hundreds! An EV motor has about 5 moving parts and electric motors are not new untested technology. We've been using them for years in trains and boats etc. The car has normal wear and tear items like tyres, brake pads and shocks etc. But with regenerative braking being easy on brake pads and the silky smooth electric motor easy on the tyres, that only leaves shocks and there is no reason for them to need regular maintenance if the car is driven with respect.

That only leaves the battery pack, which Nissan says will still have 80% capacity after 10 years. In Ireland it has a 5 year warranty and in the US the battery pack has an 8 year warranty. So I'm happy it will last a very long time. But long before the battery pack is useless, I expect I'll be able to put in a newer battery pack as technology improves. It's just a big battery after all.

Overall we're really happy with our EV and would not consider going back to owning a diesel or petrol car. It cost a lot up front, but as a long term investment it will work out cheaper. Considering the long term cost of something is not something we Irish are famed for! But I'm hoping EV's will be different.

*edit*
    Last point:

Eddie Hobbs made a comment that the type of people buying these cars are the type who own Range Rover Sports and have the Nissan Leaf as a second car for appearances. That was just his bigoted opinion based on no evidence whatsoever. My family and I are regular middle class. I've met up with several other Nissan Leaf owners and most of them like me have their Nissan Leaf as their only car. They are all also firmly middle class. I haven't met any rich Nissan Leaf owners, but I'm sure they do exist. Maybe Eddie Hobbs as a member of the rich class in Ireland might be considering purchasing one?

The depreciation and cost of finance are OTT considering it is asmall car. If the equivelent diesel is 20k, then the cost of finance and depreciation will be 6k more over 3 years, or 2k a year, enough for the diesel to fill the tank. I salute you though for being a pioneer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

This is directed at no one in particular, but can people stop quoting Top Gear's charging time of 13 hours. That is the time it takes if you plug into a normal 3 pin domestic socket.

In Ireland the ESB has disallowed this charging method. All home charging is done by a dedicated (and free) external 16 amp home charging unit. Charge time is 7 hours maximum (tested by me, 0% to 100% on home charger). All slow on street chargers currently being installed do either 16 amp or 32 amp charging as well. So that 7 hours on the street as well, or 3 to 4 hours for next years Ford Focus EV and Renault Fluence ZE.

There is no 13 hour charge time in Ireland ;)

so are you telling me, if i have this right , that the ESB wont allow you to charge your leaf from a normal socket ? have they taken away the cable ? disabled it on the car or ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Of course the other side to the EV coin (for now, at least..), is rather invisible, and less savoury.

I can't blame OP for buying and using one, as it's obviously working well - I would do the same.

However, it won't always be that way: if EV's become 'the norm' then it's inevitable that cost of ownership will increase (ignoring purchase cost).

This is because, for now, every EV, Hybrid and low CO2 car is subsidised, to purchase, by those of us who don't have one.

Worse, their (lack of) tax is even further subsidised by those of us who, again, don't have one...........or even if we do, are denied by Revenue, of just tax treatment. Consider: CO2 emission output has been a recordable requirement under EU legislation for many years. Yet our govt has decided to only allow those post Jan 1 2008 to enjoy the benefit's. It should, by right, be extended to all.

And so, the 'haves' will contine to prosper, while the 'not-so-haves' will be paying for it.

And consider further: two different govt's have decreed, by sanctioning scrappage schemes', that a car of 10yrs or older, is worthless. Yet they continue to plunder owner's of same, for Motor Tax. Or am I the only one who sees this...?

If tax Revenue continues to implode, due to the unsubstantiable nature of the low CO2 tax regime, Revenue will eventually revert to type. It'll be a few years yet, but I can't see them not doing it.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Of course the other side to the EV coin (for now, at least..), is rather invisible, and less savoury.

I can't blame OP for buying and using one, as it's obviously working well - I would do the same.

However, it won't always be that way: if EV's become 'the norm' then it's inevitable that cost of ownership will increase (ignoring purchase cost).

This is because, for now, every EV, Hybrid and low CO2 car is subsidised, to purchase, by those of us who don't have one.

Worse, their (lack of) tax is even further subsidised by those of us who, again, don't have one...........or even if we do, are denied by Revenue, of just tax treatment. Consider: CO2 emission output has been a recordable requirement under EU legislation for many years. Yet our govt has decided to only allow those post Jan 1 2008 to enjoy the benefit's. It should, by right, be extended to all.

And so, the 'haves' will contine to prosper, while the 'not-so-haves' will be paying for it.

And consider further: two different govt's have decreed, by sanctioning scrappage schemes', that a car of 10yrs or older, is worthless. Yet they continue to plunder owner's of same, for Motor Tax. Or am I the only one who sees this...?

If tax Revenue continues to implode, due to the unsubstantiable nature of the low CO2 tax regime, Revenue will eventually revert to type. It'll be a few years yet, but I can't see them not doing it.........

I pay tax as well you know, a fair chunk of it. It's also my opinion that EV's will get cheaper as battery technology improves and mass production kicks in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf#Production
    Commercial US production is slated to begin in late 2012 at Nissan's manufacturing facility in Smyrna, Tennessee. This US plant will be modified with a US$1.4 billion loan granted by the US Department of Energy to allow the manufacturing plant to produce the Nissan Leaf and its advanced batteries. The retooled plant is expected to create 1,300 jobs.[92][93] The Smyrna plant is expected to produce up to 150,000 vehicles and 200,000 battery packs annually.[93]
    The Leaf will also be produced at Nissan's plant in Sunderland, England, beginning in 2013.[94] Nissan will benefit from a GB£20.7 million grant from the British government and up to GB£220 million from the European Investment Bank.[94][95] The plant will produce 60,000 lithium-ion batteries a year, and it also is expected to deliver 50,000 Leaf EVs a year.[94] Once production starts at the Sunderland plant, Nissan expects to reduce the Leaf price in the European market by 2013.[96]

From my perspective the car is expensive even with its 5k subsidy. I feel by purchasing now that I am in fact subsidising future purchasers of EV's by dipping into my own pocket and helping kick start the revolution ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I drove a Nissan Leaf and it was brilliant.

Double the range, knock another €5K off the price and I will have one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I pay tax as well you know, a fair chunk of it. It's also my opinion that EV's will get cheaper as battery technology improves and mass production kicks in.

You're missing my point - I never said you didn't pay tax. If both of us were doing the same job, same place, same circumstances, we would both pay the same. However, I would be the one subsidising your transport - where do you think the VRT subsidy comes from ?
    [/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf#Production

From my perspective the car is expensive even with its 5k subsidy. I feel by purchasing now that I am in fact subsidising future purchasers of EV's by dipping into my own pocket and helping kick start the revolution ;)

Yes, you're right: the car IS expensive. You aren't subsidising anyone - it's the other way around.

The point I'm making is that, say over time, the car halves in price - all that will be down to Nissan and it's engineering, and success in the market. What I'm pointing out is that as that happens, and the EV market grows (which it will, no issue with that), the govt here will come up with new taxes to put on them, to claw back all that it is losing in VRT, but more importantly, fuel excise's, into the future. With car-related taxes down from €1bn to €400m (or some such...), the exchequer isn't going to sit idly by.......it has nothing to do with Nissan, technology, or the market -it's the fact that this State's largest cash cow will be going away from it.....we all know it's motor taxes that pays for school's, hospital's etc etc....

Remember, outside of the words 'tax increases', the Revenue's favourite words are 'tax neutral'.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    You're missing my point - I never said you didn't pay tax. If both of us were doing the same job, same place, same circumstances, we would both pay the same. However, I would be the one subsidising your transport - where do you think the VRT subsidy comes from ?

Yes, you're right: the car IS expensive. You aren't subsidising anyone - it's the other way around.

The point I'm making is that, say over time, the car halves in price - all that will be down to Nissan and it's engineering, and success in the market. What I'm pointing out is that as that happens, and the EV market grows (which it will, no issue with that), the govt here will come up with new taxes to put on them, to claw back all that it is losing in VRT, but more importantly, fuel excise's, into the future. With car-related taxes down from €1bn to €400m (or some such...), the exchequer isn't going to sit idly by.......it has nothing to do with Nissan, technology, or the market -it's the fact that this State's largest cash cow will be going away from it.....we all know it's motor taxes that pays for school's, hospital's etc etc....

Remember, outside of the words 'tax increases', the Revenue's favourite words are 'tax neutral'.........

Sorry but you haven't convinced me. Early adopters of technology subsidise those who come later. EV's, laptops, smartphones etc it's the same for all of those. Early adopters pay a premium for new technology, new technology is considered successful and eventually as a result new technology comes down in price.

I raised this point earlier, but with all the talk of taxes, taxes, taxes etc People tend to forget that the other half of fossil fuels cost goes out of the country and back to unstable oil producing regimes like Saudi Arabia. If everyone was using EV's and we powered them using domestically produced energy, then that would be 100% of our money spent on transportation energy staying in Ireland.

That's what I call supporting local tax paying jobs in this country. You can't just take the reduction in income from fossil fuel taxes in isolation and deduce that therefore the equivalent amount of revenue needs to be raised from electricity used for EV's. How could that even work when you have people like Gerry Wrixon charging up using his own solar array:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2011/0601/1224298200715.html

1224298200715_1.jpg?ts=1313401361

EV's will support indigenous energy production, offsetting a significant proportion of the lost fuel taxes. I can see electricity possibly going up in price, but it won't be by as much as you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Daraghot

Thanks very much for all of your comments on EVs.

Over the next six weeks me and Paddy Comyn will be looking at all aspects of the Electric vehicle. Covered during the series will be the history of the EV, where the EV is now and its future in Ireland.

We'll be covering the changes which are expected to take place in battery
    technology and will even cover the relevence of the electric vehicle in the commercial sector.

Guests over the coming weeks will include, Bob Montgomery (Irish Times), Chris Paine (Who Killed the Electric Car?), Conor Faughnan (AA Ireland), Shane O’ Donoghue(CompleteCar.ie), Neil Brisco (Edrive Magazine), Myles McAdam (MotorMouth) and many more qualified guests.

Show 1 will look at the history of the electric vehicle. Bob Montgomery of the Irish Times will be giving the history from 1830 and the director of the ground breaking documentary Who Killed the Electric Car?, Chris Paine will be giving the more modern history.

Some comments from this thread will be used in show 2 and show 5.

If you want to download the first podcast (some of the EV history) it'll be available from tomorrow on www.newstalk.ie.

Thanks again,
    Daragh

I can't find any recent podcasts for this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

and the range/ charging problem of electric cars is very easily fixed.
    If you have a small generator engine onboard (which the manufacturers are already working on) you can always get back on the road with conventional petrol/ diesel/ biofuels.
    gosh, within a week of me saying it - Opel introduces such a car, the new Ampera with petrol powered "range extender"!
    http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/business/news/article_1656062.php/Opel-Ampera-to-be-offered-in-Germany-at-special-electricity-tariff
    It is powered by an electric motor with an output of 150 hp with a range of between 40 and 80 kilometres. Once the lithium-ion battery pack is depleted an 86 hp 1.4 litre petrol engine takes over that also supplies the electric motor with energy, allowing a total range of 500 kilometres.

I cant find any online links, but its common knowledge amongst auto engineers that this is not the only german auto maker working on such a concept.
    I was wondering why it was taking so long for one of them to bring forward production version, although Opel did have a concept car with backup petrol generator a couple of years ago so its not the first time that its been publicly hinted at as a solution to the range problem.

Ampera is a plug-in hybrid (PHEV)
    The Toyota Prius PHEV is coming out next year with a range of 20km on battery plus 720km petrol
    There's a BYD Chinese PHEV with a arnge of 70km electric plus 480km petrol
    Volvo has been testing a diesel plugin electric with a short electric range.

Tesla says they are bringing out an all-electric car with 500km range for 50K USD in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

dynamick wrote: »
    Ampera is a plug-in hybrid (PHEV)
    The Toyota Prius PHEV is coming out next year with a range of 20km on battery plus 720km petrol
    To be bluntly honest, now that I think about it - a plugin standard hybrid like that prius with only 20km range would be exactly what I and a lot of others need.
    With such a vehicle I would slash my fuel bill to next to nothing as I rarely drive more than 10 or 15 km at a time.
    And the 10 or 15km is city driving which is a divil on the fuel economy.

It seems a waste to have 2 engines one of which is hardly ever used. More stuff to go wrong in later years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Daraghot

This week on the EV podcast we are looking at The EV Now - infrastrcuture.

We're talking to the ESB, SEAI and Carra group Ireland. We're covering what's in store in terms of charge points etc, aswell as infrastructure development in Ireland.

You can listen online here http://www.newstalk.ie/electric-vehicles/, or if you have an ipod or itunes it can be downloaded here http://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/the-electric-vehicle-now/id456627368?i=96655937.

Be good,
    Daragh

I'm enjoying this show.

The Chinese seem to be delaying their electric car program:
    China debates electric car policy
    By Patti Waldmeir in Shanghai
    Beijing appears to be rethinking its singular focus on electric vehicles to reduce fuel consumption and improve air quality as it becomes increasingly clear that its targets for mass-producing electric vehicles in China are unrealistic.
    China had planned to leapfrog a generation of conventional engine technology to develop what Beijing hoped would be an early advantage over the west in electric vehicles . No formal decision has been taken to abandon that plan, but top decision-makers in Beijing now see its original timetable as too optimistic.
    Wen Jiabao, the Chinese premier, reflected intense debate within the bureaucracy recently in a Communist Party journal article that questioned China’s “road map” towards alternative vehicles. Peter Huang, forecaster at consultants IHS Automotive in Shanghai, expects Beijing to shift its focus now to “hybrids and all vehicles that can reduce fuel consumption”.
    http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/b213d66e-ccaf-11e0-b923-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1VwOgQUWN

VW is developing a single seat electric car to be announced at Frankfurt next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

dynamick wrote: »
    VW is developing a single seat electric car to be announced at Frankfurt next month.

Oh god! ;)

4aad_35.JPG

Advertisement