Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with crazy neighbour

Options
  • 07-08-2011 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I need help.2 years ago me and miss diick bought our first house.At the start our neighour was fine,we had lots of house warming parties as you do,no complaints.But in the last year our nieghour has gone off the wall.she has never knocked on our door complaining,she bangs on the kitchen wall,screams thru the wall or goes out her back garden and shouts over.Shes on her own ,lonely and seems to be a bit of an alco.Last night i got a call from my gf.She was with 1 friend in the kitchen and they were both terrified,she was screaming calling us bastards saying how she hates us so much.I was raging.
    The guards arent involed yet but were thinking of making a complaint today.
    Were 27-26 shes round the 40ish mark.
    Our partys arent that loud and were not goin stop having friends over.
    Is she just jealous,no 1 evers calls to her?
    I need advice on how to handle this horrible situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Best first step is to get yourself some video evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Your idea of a 'not loud' party may not be the same as hers. However one person chatting in the kitchen should not be cause for that kind of behaviour, unless there was loud music playing?

Someone else's thump thump bass can be incredibly annoying if you don't want to listen to it. Be honest about music, maybe remove some of the bass and turn it down a bit? If that genuinely is not relevant, then maybe go and talk to the neighbour - not in the middle of one of her frenzies, leave it till the next day, middayish, and be friendly and chatty and see if you can establish what the problem is. Try being nice to her, if she feels well disposed towards you she will put up with a lot more noise than if there is aggravation between you.

You have a right to have friends in, she has a right to peace and quiet. If that is the problem try and meet her on it. If she is an alcohlic/ has problems etc, then you may have to go the official route.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

My mum is elderly and lives alone. New people moved in next door to her a while back and every weekend they like to have a few friends over usually after the pub. The sound of the guitar strumming and people woo-hooing at 2 in the morning is driving her daft. She sometimes bangs on the wall in the hopes that they might get the hint. :rolleyes: She would never confront them probably because she's afraid in case they get nasty.

Your neighbour may be mental and out of line but it could also be that you guys are really loud...

Oh and by the way my mother is not the type to moan over every little thing regarding her neighbours the fact that she's banging on the wall reflects how much the noise is getting to her... I think you said the were no problems at the start... Maybe you guys are pushing the poor woman over the edge :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Big foots diick

Happyzebra wrote: »
    My mum is elderly and lives alone. New people moved in next door to her a while back and every weekend they like to have a few friends over usually after the pub. The sound of the guitar strumming and people woo-hooing at 2 in the morning is driving her daft. She sometimes bangs on the wall in the hopes that they might get the hint. :rolleyes: She would never confront them probably because she's afraid in case they get nasty.

Your neighbour may be mental and out of line but it could also be that you guys are really loud...

Oh and by the way my mother is not the type to moan over every little thing regarding her neighbours the fact that she's banging on the wall reflects how much the noise is getting to her... I think you said the were no problems at the start... Maybe you guys are pushing the poor woman over the edge :confused:

Dont think were being excessive.i can see were shes coming from with noise from people but my gf was moving kitchen chairs last night and that set her off.We are keeping the noise down.We tried having a bbq few backs.Sitting outside the garden,she must have been listening to us.When we laughed she copied us,started playing music too.
    Were quieter now than the start.I know she has the right to peace and quiet but shes then one whos threatening and abusive.
    Goin call in there but shes fecked off.
    Its a bad situation for both of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Yeah call in and have a chat with her. It seems like the only reason she hasn't called in to you about it and is banging on the walls instead is that she feels intimidated and might be scared of going face to face. For all she knows you're some kind of mad drug dealer or something. It would help out a lot if you went and showed her you're a reasonable guy, maybe you could even discuss what time she goes to bed, when her favorite tv show are etc. At least this way you can minmize the friction by lowering the volume slightly at the times you know she would be most put out by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Yeah call in and have a chat with her. It seems like the only reason she hasn't called in to you about it and is banging on the walls instead is that she feels intimidated and might be scared of going face to face. For all she knows you're some kind of mad drug dealer or something. It would help out a lot if you went and showed her you're a reasonable guy, maybe you could even discuss what time she goes to bed, when her favorite tv show are etc. At least this way you can minmize the friction by lowering the volume slightly at the times you know she would be most put out by it.

This. Also consider that the age gap between late 20s and 40 is not so immense. An old trick is to invite any potential complainants to your parties. At best she'll arrive with some wine, at worst you might gain the high moral ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

Maybe the woman isnt well and if thats the case talking probably won't help. With reference to moving chairs...the house that i live in has paper thin walls and when my neighbours are sitting down for a meal i can hear them dragging out their chairs! It's a bit of a joke in my house everytime they move the chairs we say out loud 'lift the chair, just lift...' seriously its a bit embarressing when friends call and they are startled by a sudden and unexpected dragging sound.

This isnt going to help you but i just had to tell someone about the dragging of the chairs... Christ maybe i'm your neighbour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Big foots diick

Happyzebra wrote: »
    Maybe the woman isnt well and if thats the case talking probably won't help. With reference to moving chairs...the house that i live in has paper thin walls and when my neighbours are sitting down for a meal i can hear them dragging out their chairs! It's a bit of a joke in my house everytime they move the chairs we say out loud 'lift the chair, just lift...' seriously its a bit embarressing when friends call and they are startled by a sudden and unexpected dragging sound.

This isnt going to help you but i just had to tell someone about the dragging of the chairs... Christ maybe i'm your neighbour!!

I dont think she is well.My gf was pulling up the blinds as she was pulling into her drive.She got,waved and smiled:eek:
    Gf looked like she saw a ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Your evil neighbour is scared of you or else seems like a normal person. Sending the girlfriend around to do the diplomacy is a good idea (if you're hard enough turn down the stereo, stop moving the furniture and go along yourself- preferably tonight).

You're not in college anymore, people in houses like to sleep by night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

I had a bitch neighbour like that while i was in college in 2nd yr. Even the TV on she'd be roaring throught he wall. One night we were having a few friends over and she came into the hallway and threatened the guards on us. I asked her to leave and turned to walk away and she grabbed at my shoulder, then i made my move. I told her i'd call the guards on her, as she had just assaulted me, and I said i had witnesses and i looked at them and they all nodded as if they would back me up on it.
    She just looked around a bit and left fairly sharpish after that. Cnut.

again the same type of wan, 40's, seemed to be single, kinda cnutish. Just a jealous frustrated aul bag. what a loser these types are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I had a bitch neighbour like that while i was in college in 2nd yr. Even the TV on she'd be roaring throught he wall. One night we were having a few friends over and she came into the hallway and threatened the guards on us. I asked her to leave and turned to walk away and she grabbed at my shoulder, then i made my move. I told her i'd call the guards on her, as she had just assaulted me, and I said i had witnesses and i looked at them and they all nodded as if they would back me up on it.

again the same type of wan, 40's, seemed to be single, kinda cnutish. Just a jealous frustrated aul bag. what a loser these types are.

I kind of feel sorry for your ex-neighbour. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

College Students = Loud TV

College Students and parties = Cnuts...

Your story seems obviously one sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

When your house is beside someone, theres obviously a certain amount of noise thats going to leak through the walls - our neighbours always seem to have their TV up really loud when they get home from work, but never have it on after 11pm so its ok. As others have said, as long as you're not having mad excessive parties, the problem is with her and you should just have a word with her.But if she is mental,it might not change anything,but at least you'll have done all you can!

Advertisement