If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HiFi tuner deal?

Options
  • 07-08-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for an FM/AM/DAB tuner to go with a Yamaha A-S500 amp. Was looking at Denon TU1800 but availability seems to be limited. Can you let me know what you have and give me your best price including delivery?

Cheers,
    OWB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there.

The Denon is a finished line with no replacement due until the end of this year / start of 2012.

The other options that we would have :

Teac TR650 tuner. DAB & FM and very sensibly priced at £149.95. Delivery would be £12.99.

Alternatively, the Cambridge Azur 650T which is a much superior tuner is all aspects and this is priced at £249.95 and I could offer free delivery on this model.

Let me know what you think.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Thanks for the reply Dave, I'm torn between spending more on a good DAB/DAB+ receiver vs spending less on a refurbished/used FM tuner. I want to get excellent sound quality to match my amp/speakers but also don't want to waste money on dead technology.

What do you think the future of tuners is? Does DAB have a future in Ireland or will it get left on the starting blocks by Internet Radio? I have an Internet Tuner which works great with international stations but I'm getting a bit annoyed by buffer skips on certain Irish stations, Newstalk is the worst offender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi there.

DAB tends to be more stable than the internet stations but reception on DAB can be hit and miss.

I personally think DAB will be here for for quite some time to come however net radio offers a lot more choice.

If you are looking for the best sound quality, then DAB definately has it as the internet stations are very compressed.

If I listened to a lot of radio, I would go for DAB.

Hope this helps.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

The problems with DAB are:
    1. Only RTE stations broadcast at the moment.
    2. Quality compromised by compression, most stations at 128kbps, I think Lyric is 160kbs.

So while the format has potential to outperform FM, the reality at the moment is that it may well be worse or about the same as FM and Internet streaming - and Internet streaming might have more potential than DAB for fixed receivers long term.

I was looking at the Denon as it is very well reviewed but out of line and as a result I was hoping to snap it up cheap.

The Cambridge looks nice but I think I'll mull over it for a while and keep an eye out for a bargain. Thanks anyway, I'll PM you later if interested.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.