Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evening courses in CIT this year

• 07-08-2011 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all

I am interested in taking evening courses in CIT - Im just wondering if anyone knows off hand do they need to be paid for in advance?

Interested in doing a certificate in Computing, 10 modules x €160 = €1600.

The CIT website wasnt that informative, after reading it im not even sure if it is a 1 year or 2 year setup.

Thanks in advance for any information :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Give them an email or phone. Best way to get an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Patmc80

True enough, they dont seem to be answering their phones at all so I'll
    try a few emails and see if anything happens :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

For the first year they usually charge in adavnce for the number of modules you do, in second year there tends to be more flexibility. Go to the Evening info evening which is usually in first week of Sept,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Its 160 a Module,

You only pay for what modules you are doing in each Term..

if you do 3 * 160 = 480 then next Term you do another 3 thats another 480... if you just do one its only 160 etc etc. you dont pay for the full Term.

If you are doing Higher Cert in Computing, and can only do 3 this Term

I would pick Networking Fundamentals. Programming Fundamentals 1 (VB)
    Computer Architecture.

As those 2 you need to keep doing the Proramming and networking the other one will help you with Computer Hardware in Semester 2.

Also if your doing Alorithmic Problem Solving Enjoy that one :D;) Every one loves that one.. but i hear they moved away from Alice :(

It is not 10 Modules its 12, you do a year 6 in each Semester.

Thanks for the info :) A lot clearer than the section on the CIT Website about evening and weekend courses! :cool:

• Advertisement

Patmc80 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info :) A lot clearer than the section on the CIT Website about evening and weekend courses! :cool:

When its stats on site 2 evenings and week end its more like Monday to Thursday and a Saturday if you want to do the 6 modules

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SNNUS

So you can do all the modules in one year or do it over 2 years??

http://courses.cit.ie/index.cfm/page/course/courseId/380

Thats the course breakdown over 2 years.

SNNUS wrote: »
    So you can do all the modules in one year or do it over 2 years??

First semester you will have
    Networking
    Vb
    Maths
    Alice program
    Computer arch
    Team work crap.

Then second semseter.
    Networking
    Vb part 2.
    Web development (Mr. Happy)
    Free choice module
    Maths
    Computer hardware

That is first year. If you do 4 a semseter you would get it done in about 3 years.

You can keep going even if you don't have 1 year done just go into semester 3 & 4 and you can always go back to semester 1 and do what you didn't do in that one and any that you didn't do in semester 3 in the same term. Once their not on in the same night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Apologies in advance if it seems I'm hijacking the thread but just on the point of evening courses - I'm interested in doing the CCNA course in Sept.

Does anybody have any feedback on this? Is it worth doing it considering it cost around 2.5k - that's alot for me considering I'm not on great wages

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Apologies in advance if it seems I'm hijacking the thread but just on the point of evening courses - I'm interested in doing the CCNA course in Sept.

Does anybody have any feedback on this? Is it worth doing it considering it cost around 2.5k - that's alot for me considering I'm not on great wages

Are you in IT ? i did this while doing the Higher Cert in Computing. as its part of the Course. Yes CCNA is a good Course. you would go into Much Deeper Detail as to what we went into. if you are in IT and want to move into Networking and their is a job within your Company then Yes go ahead and do it, but i would Look into Vmware Course that CIT are now Doing.. This would get you a Job faster then CCNA, as people are now looking at Cloud Networking and VmWare are more into that area then Cisco are at the Moment.

If i was you i would do the Following in the Following Order

Network +
    Server +
    CCNA
    Vmware

Network + you give you the basic of ccna and it will give you a brief @ what is ahead if you went onto CCNA. if you just want to go head in with CCNA then google TrainSignal CCNA and CBTNuggets which you could get those videos on some kind of site Which helped me big time doing my Networking.

Cork24 wrote: »
    Are you in IT ? i did this while doing the Higher Cert in Computing. as its part of the Course. Yes CCNA is a good Course. you would go into Much Deeper Detail as to what we went into. if you are in IT and want to move into Networking and their is a job within your Company then Yes go ahead and do it, but i would Look into Vmware Course that CIT are now Doing.. This would get you a Job faster then CCNA, as people are now looking at Cloud Networking and VmWare are more into that area then Cisco are at the Moment.

If i was you i would do the Following in the Following Order

Network +
    Server +
    CCNA
    Vmware

Network + you give you the basic of ccna and it will give you a brief @ what is ahead if you went onto CCNA. if you just want to go head in with CCNA then google TrainSignal CCNA and CBTNuggets which you could get those videos on some kind of site Which helped me big time doing my Networking.
    I'm working in Deskside Support and I'm not working with switches/routers every day which is why I'd like to do the CCNA course - the lab environment would help me greatly I'd imagine.

I've been reading a book atm on Network + (Entry level basics mostly) with a view to getting the CCNA and Network + around the same time due to the similarities between both.

I haven't looked to VMWare - I'll take a look at it tomorrow though - would it be possible to do two courses concurrently?

Networking is most definitely where I want to go career wise so the CCNA would seem to be a priority, irregardless of cloud computings growth it's always important to have a firm grasp of previous methods so CCNA would always stand to me in the future

as in CCNA and Vmware at once?

if so good luck with that as CCNA is hard as it is and you would have at lest 1 class or 2 a week plus a Saturday Morning with CCNA, same goes with Vmware.

vmware is Networking as well but not going in and setting up the Routers/Switches Trunking ports etc.etc.. what you learn in Vmware is going in Installing a a hole Network and Set up Domains..

its handy to learn as its a way to going Green.. and alot of companys are looking for Vmware as well..

i would do both one after the Other..

Cork24 wrote: »
    as in CCNA and Vmware at once?

if so good luck with that as CCNA is hard as it is and you would have at lest 1 class or 2 a week plus a Saturday Morning with CCNA, same goes with Vmware.

vmware is Networking as well but not going in and setting up the Routers/Switches Trunking ports etc.etc.. what you learn in Vmware is going in Installing a a hole Network and Set up Domains..

its handy to learn as its a way to going Green.. and alot of companys are looking for Vmware as well..

i would do both one after the Other..
    Yeah figured it wouldn't be possible alright.

VMWare is beginning to take off but mainly in large companies - It'll prob take a larger amount of time before it becomes mainstream for medium sized companies imo so I would have time to do them back to back I'd say, hopefully with some MS certs attained in the mean time.

Also cheers for the heads up that I'd have to do some work on Saturdays - I'd normally head home to Kerry for football but I'm thinking of transferring up to Cork next year - need to prioritize etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pietroe

Hi,
    Im working full-time and I'm wondering if I can take an evening degree in computers over a number of years? I need an Honours degree eventually. I should be able to skip year 1 with prior recognition. Any ideas on the easiest route there. Any replies greatley welcomed.

Pietroe wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im working full-time and I'm wondering if I can take an evening degree in computers over a number of years? I need an Honours degree eventually. I should be able to skip year 1 with prior recognition. Any ideas on the easiest route there. Any replies greatley welcomed.

Honours degree is not possible. If doing it part time normal degree is ran part time as well when you say you should be able to skip 1 year in recognitions what year are we Talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

You can work your way up to honors degree by night in several areas such as IT Management, Cloud Computing, Software Development. Check out http://courses.cit.ie/ for a full list.

Advertisement