Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Gas Question

• 07-08-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭

As above folks a friend of mine fills his camper cylinder for cooking/heating with Motor Gas in a filling station,he has a adopter fitting for to do this.Now i know that this gas wouldnt be Propane so my question is,is it OK to be burning this in a Camper,he hasnt had the camper very long so its early days,,but he sas he knows a lad thats being doing this for years and alls well,thanks,,,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Elaverty,
    one of our motorhomes has the " Gaslow" system. This system is very regular in the UK. The cylinder is fixed (unremovable) in the usual gas compartment and to refill we drive to our local LPG supplier and refill it using a connection that came with the system. A total refill costs less than half of what we pay when we
    drop our other cylinders in for a refill or a swap.
    If it works OK for the "gaslow " system using a connection, it should be ok for your friends refills.
    I am in no way an expert in anything to do with gas systems, so I too would be delighted to hear what the experts have to say.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Gaslow and other proprietary refillable bottles have an 'overfill' protection which wont allow the bottle to be filled more than 80%, this allows for expansion.
    An overfilled bottle can cause liquid gas run through the regulator and arrive at the appliance with devastating results.

Filling gas bottles when there is no control against overfilling is extremely dangerous and probably illegal.

Please publish your 'friends' reg no so if I am in the same area I can park at least 100 meters away :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

So im assumeing that LPG (MOTORCAR GAS) isnt Propane,,,,,,All id be worried about is would it be ok to use LPG in a camper,as regards not doing any harm to the appliences that it is working cooker,burner,heater etc,,,,as its not Propane,which seems to be recomended,,,,

The product for 'cars' is perfectly ok for the appliances in caravans/motor caravans. It is what is commonly used in 'gaslow' type installations and fixed tank installations, both of which are quite popular due to cost savings and they eliminate uncertainty of running out if in a foreign country with different types of exchange bottles

Great i just wanted to claify before i fill my own,,,it works out alot cheaper allright,,,

• Advertisement

elaverty wrote: »
    Great i just wanted to claify before i fill my own,,,it works out alot cheaper allright,,,

:eek::eek::eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8grVY74NARQ :(:(:(

Meant to tell you im a very heavy smoker aswell :):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

elaverty wrote: »
    So im assumeing that LPG (MOTORCAR GAS) isnt Propane,,,,,,All id be worried about is would it be ok to use LPG in a camper,as regards not doing any harm to the appliences that it is working cooker,burner,heater etc,,,,as its not Propane,which seems to be recomended,,,,

Never assume anything!! Ass , U , Me etc.... LPG is a mix of Propane and Butane , the ratio varies according to the time of year . IIRC it's more Propane in winter . We often use it , and it works very well . The Butane seems to be a better grade of stuff than that in the regular Yellow Bottle .

I'm a big fan of the fitted LPG tanks , they pay for themselves over a few years if you use the camper regularly . I've fitted them on brand new Elddis's , and 93 Hymers... and a few others in between .

The Gaslow re-fillable bottles are on the same principle , but IMO they are quite expensive for what they are . That said , any of ort customers with them like them .

Advertisement