Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL/ESL job help?

• 07-08-2011 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hey there,

Ive just enrolled on a CELT course in Dublin. I thought that i might start researching jobs straight away. There seems to be a mindfield of websites available for jobs abroad, and it seems hard to pinpoint a reliable website to use for ESL jobs abroad. Can anyone advise me on a good website to use? ( im a bit worried that some websites advertise jobs that may not still exist and the administrators haven't taken down the notices)

As regards where to teach i'm pretty flexible.
    Ive heard Korea pays the best. Anyone know much about Dubai or Qatar for ESL teaching?
    Anyway, any advice on reliable legitimate websites to use for those countries would really help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

eslcafe.com or TEFL.com is a great place to start, loads of forums and jobs there. Korea is a good place to start off, Middle East is also popular these days too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

I've been dealing with Reach to Teach in trying to get a a public school job in Korea, and so far they have been pretty helpful. I'm not sure if they deal with private schools (hogwons), but you can email them and I'm sure they will be helpful.

where are you doing the CELT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pavilion29

mangaroosh wrote: »
    I've been dealing with Reach to Teach in trying to get a a public school job in Korea, and so far they have been pretty helpful. I'm not sure if they deal with private schools (hogwons), but you can email them and I'm sure they will be helpful.

where are you doing the CELT?

thanks for that,
    Im doing the CELT course in CES dame st dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

pavilion29 wrote: »
    thanks for that,

Hiya
    I'm thinking of doing a CELT course soon and was wondering what your course is like - is it worth doing?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 king of cork

You will find that a lot of the English teaching jobs in the Middle East require you to have at least a year of ESL teaching experience or a Teaching Certificate ie, H. Dip in Education. But sometimes there are adverts for jobs where a degree and CELTA will do, especially in Quatar. But your lifestyle may be a bit more restricted in the middle east depending on which country you decide on. Dubai/UAE is probably the most open/westernised. It just sounds way too hot for me! Look on 'Daves ESL Cafe' for up -to- date adverts. And, Korea comes second after the Middle East for rates of pay. One important thing to consider wherever you teach is the holidays that you get.

• Advertisement

You will find that a lot of the English teaching jobs in the Middle East require you to have at least a year of ESL teaching experience or a Teaching Certificate ie, H. Dip in Education. But sometimes there are adverts for jobs where a degree and CELTA will do, especially in Quatar. But your lifestyle may be a bit more restricted in the middle east depending on which country you decide on. Dubai/UAE is probably the most open/westernised. It just sounds way too hot for me! Look on 'Daves ESL Cafe' for up -to- date adverts. And, Korea comes second after the Middle East for rates of pay. One important thing to consider wherever you teach is the holidays that you get.

is the income to cost of living ratio better in Korea? I saw a comparison online somewhere that suggested it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 king of cork

The biggest factor in all of those cost of living comparisons is Rent. But with most English teaching jobs in the Middle East and South Korea the rent is paid by your employer so what it comes down to is your lifestyle. I don't think Korea is all that cheap to live in, it could be if I only ate rice and noodles but that would be living rather frugally! According to some of those comparisons Seoul is much more expensive than Dubai.

The biggest factor in all of those cost of living comparisons is Rent. But with most English teaching jobs in the Middle East and South Korea the rent is paid by your employer so what it comes down to is your lifestyle. I don't think Korea is all that cheap to live in, it could be if I only ate rice and noodles but that would be living rather frugally! According to some of those comparisons Seoul is much more expensive than Dubai.

have you worked in Dubai as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about TEFL in Central / Eastern Europe? I was looking around on sites and it seemed that there are a good few jobs going in Prague. I know nothing about what qualifications are best, so while it seems that TEFL suffices in East-Asia, is Eastern Europe a little more demanding in that they may want people with 3rd level qualifications in relevant fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Stayfrosty2

pavilion29 wrote: »
    thanks for that,

Hi pavillion,

I'm starting the CELT course with CES in a week or so and i'm just wondering if you have any advice or tips for me?

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement