Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB cards??

Options
  • 07-08-2011 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Anyone know anything about ESB Cards?

I am supposed to move into a one bedroom apartment with ESB Cards, and I know nothing about them. Like, how long would one card last on average? Where do I get these cards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing as I'm having difficulties finding anything about them on the internet. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi SilverScreen89,

I'm assuming you're talking about Powerpay Cards? These are the cards associated with budget-controller meters, or 'token' meters as they're more commonly known.

These meters are usually only installed as a last resort, to assist customers in heavy arrears. I would recommend you request the removal of this meter if you are not used to paying this way, as it is essentially a debt-collection device and is unsuitable for customers not in arrears (it is not a pay-as-you-go meter as is often thought).

You can purchase token meter cards at any outlet displaying the PayPoint logo - specific locations of outlets can be found at the PayPoint website. How long a card lasts depends upon the amount purchased in €s and on the customer's energy usage, so unfortunately a general answer is difficult to give.

If you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hi David,
    Could you explain more about the meter being for debt collection purposes? My parents have one of these meters, it was installed years ago when they had a few appliances out on credit from the old ESB stores. Now they are no longer in arrears but received a bill from the ESB last year stating that they owed X amount of money. What I do not understand though is that you buy so much in cards (usually €10 or €20) and put it into the meter, it puts it on the meter and when that runs out the electricity is cut off and you have to top it up again before your electricity is reinstated... so how could they have owed money??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SilverScreen89

Do I understand it correctly? You pay the card but then you still owe ESB money? That sounds pretty bad...

January wrote:
    Could you explain more about the meter being for debt collection purposes?... so how could they have owed money??

Hi January,

It can be complicated to explain without looking at a specific account, but essentially when the token meter is installed, there are a few factors to consider: the total debt at the time of installation, the amount of debt to be collected per week, the amount of emergency credit allowed (usually €5), and the unit price at the time (as it isn't automatically synced with our prices - Networks technicians need to 'reset' the meter on scheduled visits to ensure it is).

So say your card runs out. What happens then is the electricity usage will run into your emergency credit, and when you buy more cards the amount of credit used will automatically be deducted, as will the weekly debt amount if not already collected.

However it's important to emphasize that the actual electricity meter and the token meter remain completely separate; they are not linked up in a pay-as-you-go fashion. Bills will still issue, based on the usage on the actual meter only. Payments made via the Powerpay cards will be taken into consideration of course, but they are not the whole story (which should be the case with a pay-as-you-go system).
    You pay the card but then you still owe ESB money?

If you have a pre-existing debt, yes. And so long as the token meter is installed, there will always be a debt collection aspect to it, as that is how the meter works. So it cannot be configured to be a pay as you go meter, no matter what the balance is. This is why, when a customer is free of arrears, we usually have the meters removed, as without arrears in the equation the meter can sometimes confuse and comlplicate matters.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 SilverScreen89

If you have a pre-existing debt, yes. And so long as the token meter is installed, there will always be a debt collection aspect to it, as that is how the meter works. So it cannot be configured to be a pay as you go meter, no matter what the balance is. This is why, when a customer is free of arrears, we usually have the meters removed, as without arrears in the equation the meter can sometimes confuse and comlplicate matters.

I hope this helps,

Thanks,

David.

But without a pre-exhisting debt, then you don't owe money and you use energy on a pre-paid basis? I know that many shared houses use this system and I was on the website you mentioned and it seems that is the primary reason for this system to ever be set up.

• Advertisement

But without a pre-exhisting debt, then you don't owe money and you use energy on a pre-paid basis? I know that many shared houses use this system

There are other meters sometimes used by landlords that can be used to pre-pay your bill, but these would bear no relation to ESB (specifically ESB Networks, who operate and maintain electricity meters). The token meters mentioned above however cannot be configured to this end, as there will always be a debt-to-be-collected-per-week setting.

Regards,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 donnadeco

Anyone know anything about ESB Cards?

I am supposed to move into a one bedroom apartment with ESB Cards, and I know nothing about them. Like, how long would one card last on average? Where do I get these cards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing as I'm having difficulties finding anything about them on the internet. Thanks.
    Does anyone no how i can get a new token powerpay esb card mine got damaged thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi donnadeco,

Thank you for your message.

If you send us a private message with your details, we can look into ordering one for you. You'll need to confirm you're the account holder as well as your address, account number and telephone number or date of birth. Can you also refer back to this thread in your message?

Regards,
    Aoife

Advertisement