Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coins in river

Options
  • 07-08-2011 1:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the appearance of coins in the Slaughter House River bed directly north of the wooden pedestrian bridge connecting Newtownsmith to the river walkway?
    When did this practice start and what's the point of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I don't actually know, but I do know that as a kid (twenty years back), me and my siblings wold throw pennies in when we went to town with my grandmother, who is a Galway native. I'd figure it goes back to when she was a kid in Galway, so possibly since the 1940's?? I'll ask next time I speak to her..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Some enterprising bloke invested a in a few coins, chucked 'em in the river, so that others would come along and follow suit, a la wishing wells etc. A gentleman's agreement with one of the local tour guides to mention it in their tour, then the rest of the tour guides mentioned it because it was an easy five minutes, and every few weeks they pop down and retrieve the bulk of the coins, leaving the shinier ones to lure in the rest. A far better return on one's money than one would get in the banks at any rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Been there for as long as I can remember (which is somewhere less than 4 years :) )

Never heard it called Slaughter House River, though I do understand that I different type of cattle used to go through the Born Store site in earlier days ... I wonder why they don't put that on the pretty signs for tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I saw them there last week aswell I dont know who put in the first few coins but i'd say alot of tourists and kids will follow suit . My young fella emptied my pocket of coins before we left it anyhow :D .The river looks lovely around there too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There was a gypsy throwing a magnet on a string in there last week.

The scut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    There was a gypsy throwing a magnet on a string in there last week.

The scut.

Ha ha! If that could work I'd say fair play!
    Not much different to fishing, and it's throwing the coin that gives the wish, not the coin itself ;)

Advertisement