Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busking in Dublin

Options
  • 07-08-2011 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'll be moving to Dublin for college in late august and was wondering if I should take up busking to earn a few extra bob at the weekends.

Most of all I was wondering if I should bother, if I would be anything different. I play the violin, trad mostly but also classical. People say you have to be something different to make money at busking but to be honest there aren't too many violinists around anyway. The tourists would like it I'm guessing.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A lad I know busks and makes a killing, €120 is his usual for a couple of hours on the weekend and then from 9pm till 11pm on Thursday last he made just shy of €90. He just sings and plays guitar (granted he's class).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i know a lad whoes full time job is busking on Grafton.

There used to be a good few violinists around but you would want to go and have a look around yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 21 t9106

The only violinist that I often see around is that one who stands in the alleyway between powerscourt and grafton street. So I'm guessing grafton street would be the beat place to busk then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There is a great violin player on Henry Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Problem with Grafton Street is that unless you get a reasonably quiet spot, you're battling with the outdoor gigs that seem to be so popular these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement