Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get a new dog, preferably a rescue!

• 07-08-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Here's the story. My boyfriends family are looking to get a new dog. Their last dog died a few years ago. Due to the amount of dogs in the pound etc I suggested that they look into getting a rescue dog. Their favorite dog is a Golden Retriever but I have yet to see one on any of the rescue sites I have looked at!

As they live on a farm they are looking for a quiet-ish dog that would be easy to train. Apart from a Retriever what other breeds suit this description? By quiet I mean not a very high energy dog as they had terrible problems with their old collie even though he was walked constantly etc they want a calmer dog this time around!

Also if anybody spots a Golden Retriever even a cross on any rescue website please let me know! They are open to other suggestions though!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It would be helpful to know which area of the Country you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Have you looked on www.irishanimals.ie website, you can look at rescues all over the country so could hone your search to where you live / where you're prepared to travel to. I'm sure there are plenty of g.r. in rescues if you just have a look round.

Apart from a Retriever what other breeds suit this description?

Don't get hung up on particular breeds. Find a local rescue & then talk to them about the type of dog that you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

+1 on Discodog's suggestion of not being too concerned over breed. Some dogs in rescues can have 'issues' which led to them being surrendered in the first place, so if it was me, I'd be more worried about getting a dog that would fit with my lifestyle and housing arrangements (ie, if the dog was left in b/c it runs off, you need a good fence, or history of contact with children, etc)- breed is not necessarily a good guideline for this. A good rescue will be able to chat to you about what you need and assess whether they have anything in that fits your temperment and training requirements.
    Good luck! I'm certain you can find something suitable out there, and some lucky dog will be going to a nice home, all going well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Sorry, Kildare/Dublin area but willing to travel.

Yes, I understand about the certain breeds. They are not set on a Retriever they are open to whichever dog that suits their needs. I think they just like the general Retriever temperament!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626371&page=69

Op you should have a look thru this rehoming thread, there are some lovely dog's here looking for new homes, including a retriever.

You mentioned in you post about your mad collie, maybe have a look at what you'r feeding them aswell because some foods can affect your dog's temperment.

Yes, I understand about the certain breeds. They are not set on a Retriever they are open to whichever dog that suits their needs. I think they just like the general Retriever temperament!

You could try the Dogs Trust - they are very good at matching dogs to potential owners & offer a lot of support/advice.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭schmel22

Hi
    I rescued a dog from NWSPCA (North Wexford) just there in Gorey. I spoke for months to other rescues and I found these guys GREAT! SO much advice as the dogs are fostered so I had a fully picture to what Bella would be like. That would be just my experience and thought I should share,but I really can't praise them highly enough. You can find them on Facebook but also google
    Whata lovely thing to do and rescue a dog - fair play!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What about the dog you are trying to rehome for friends, would that one not suit??

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    What about the dog you are trying to rehome for friends, would that one not suit??

No, definitely not. These people live near cows, sheep etc and even though their garden is secure I wouldn't take the risk. The dog my aunt is trying to rehome would do everything in his power to try and escape and get at livestock.

I did think of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

There's lot of lovely dogs that are looking for a home at Dogs Trust Ireland. They're based in Finglas, just off the M50. I was there the other day and I think I saw a few labradors? Give them a call. http://www.dogstrust.ie/dogs-for-rehoming/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

There's a male Golden Retriever in Ashton Pound at the moment.
    If you go to their Facebook page, his picture is in the album Pound Dogs.
    He may be reclaimed, or have a home lined up, but give them a call or leave a message on the FB page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mff

We got our dog from the Dogs Trust. She is a lovely Collie Retriever cross. They have lots of dogs there in need of good homes and will give you all the advice you need in terms of what kind of breed may suit. Give them a call or you can pop in and visit (though beware it is very hard not to want to take all of the dogs home with you!)

Advertisement