Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old sofa in new house

Options
  • 07-08-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice if possible :) I have paid a deposit on a rented house to an estate agent and I am due to move in two weeks. The house has never been lived in and didn't even have a cooker when i viewed it. I had an option to take it furnished or unfurnished. I chose to take it furnished but leaving two of the bedrooms unfurnished for my own bits and pieces.

I went out to look at the house yesterday (through the windows) and the three piece they have put in is in poor condition and is a dark green with a floral design. It looks uncomfortable too. It is not in keeping with a new house or the lovely modern kitchen they put in. I am concerned as to how the whole house will be furnished now. I have previously told the estate agent that I am going to be a longterm tenant.

I am hoping someone might be able to answer some of my questions:

Can i ask to see the house completely furnished before signing a lease?
    Can i ask for either the sofa to be removed or to be changed for a newer one? (doesnt have to be brand new or anything special, just something that you can live with)
    If none of my requests are dealt with and I choose to walk away can i get my deposit back?

I know this might not seem like a problem but it took me ages to find a house that I feel I can spend the next few years in while saving for a mortgage.

Thank you for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

missym wrote: »
    Can i ask to see the house completely furnished before signing a lease?

Yes, and I would recommend doing so. And if there are any problems, list out problems with the EA/landlord and give them a set period of time in which they are to be rectified.
    Can i ask for either the sofa to be removed or to be changed for a newer one? (doesnt have to be brand new or anything special, just something that you can live with)

Yes, but the landlord doesn't have to agree to this if what has been provided is serviceable/suitable for purpose.

If none of my requests are dealt with and I choose to walk away can i get my deposit back?

Yes, you can walk away, if you haven't signed the lease. I'm not sure about getting the deposit back, though. They may keep it in lieu of income lost from losing potential tenants when you agreed to take the place.

Just a thought, but I don't suppose you'd consider buying a cheapish suite of furniture that you like and ask the landlord if you could use it rather than the one they've provided?

Advertisement