Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA Specific conditioning

• 07-08-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

I know very about MMA training but I'm just wondering how the theory of training as close as possible to the demands of the sport applies to a sport like MMA.

I'm thinking of the fitness demands in particular.

Take GAA training as an example, most teams probably train shorter more intense sessions than they would have done in the past. say 60 to 75 mintues with most running being done with the ball and the running being of shorter distance and greater speed than the traditional laps.

Knowing nothing about MMA training, I'm just wondering if it is possible to apply this method of training. for arguement sake you compete in 3 x 5 minute rounds (I may be wrong with this), then I could not imagine that it would be possible to achieve the required fitness needed from training 15-20 minutes a session.

A lot of amateur boxers I know still train for 2-2.5 hours and still do the long steady running, even lads that have no problem with keeping inside there weight catergory.

I guess the feedback I'm looking for is how do MMA competitors train?

Even as a relatively new sport, has the training evolved to become shorter more intense sessions?

Is MMA fitness training influenced by the long boxing training sessions and if yes is there merit in this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

for me its all about ''sport specific'' movements for any conditioning training, because at the end of the day your trying to train your body for the types of physical exertions you go through in a fight,and if you look at most mma fights they are typically bursts of action /recover/burst of action / recover... a couple of examples; if your a guy who likes to sprawl and try to stay standing then which will be more beneficial 5 mile runs or lots of hitting pads mixed in wit burpees or sprawls . if you like takedowns then explosiveness is a big part, so 10yard sprints are a great way to build up your explosiveness which is key to a good powerful shot . theres also numerous kettlebell exercises which can be easily adapted for "mma type" actions. one session out a weeks training is plenty for me... all of these are of course only of real benefit i think if they are complimenting sufficient mma sparring which is the rest of the week. but every dog has there own way of takin a dump as they say so its not a one size fits all recipe :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

All of the guys who are truly good athletes in MMA didn't get that way by lifting weights and pushing sleds, they got that way by hitting pads, drilling technique and sparring round after round after round for years. After the returns from that diminish, they seek a physical edge which they get through weights or whatever.

However there is a massive industry which relies on the myth that strength and conditioning training can somehow trump skill and technique. This industry has more potential for growth because to "train like a fighter" you don't have to get punched in the face or armlocked repeatedly. That's fine as it's another way of packaging the fitness product like tae bo or boxercise, but it belies the fact that fighters get good at fighting by training how to fight. They also get "conditioned" far better for fighting by sparring since "conditioning" is a multi-faceted term.

I'm sure we've all looked at some fighter's S&C training and scoffed at how much long distance running they do, or at how many rope climbs they do, or that they don't know how to use a sled properly or whatever. And yet these guys go on and win fights. Why is that I wonder :). There are still pro-boxers at the very peak who believe in roadwork and who still manage to win titles. There are still MMA fighters who probably can't bench their bodyweight.

Like everything, it has it's place. But there's far too much emphasis placed on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm sure we've all looked at some fighter's S&C training and scoffed at how much long distance running they do, or at how many rope climbs they do, or that they don't know how to use a sled properly or whatever. And yet these guys go on and win fights. Why is that I wonder :). There are still pro-boxers at the very peak who believe in roadwork and who still manage to win titles. There are still MMA fighters who probably can't bench their bodyweight.

I fully agree with your point, time spent on technique will be far more beneficial for at least the first few years. I rememeber GSP commenting that his friend, the french thai boxer, wasn't very fit, drank and smoked constantly etc but he was a better fighter simply because he was more efficient at striking.

But at the same time I'd be shocked if any top MMA fighter couldn't bench their bodyweight. Maybe some of the super heavyweights can't, but these aren't top MMA fighters and are only here for the freak factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

All of the guys who are truly good athletes in MMA didn't get that way by lifting weights and pushing sleds, they got that way by hitting pads, drilling technique and sparring round after round after round for years. After the returns from that diminish, they seek a physical edge which they get through weights or whatever.

However there is a massive industry which relies on the myth that strength and conditioning training can somehow trump skill and technique. This industry has more potential for growth because to "train like a fighter" you don't have to get punched in the face or armlocked repeatedly. That's fine as it's another way of packaging the fitness product like tae bo or boxercise, but it belies the fact that fighters get good at fighting by training how to fight. They also get "conditioned" far better for fighting by sparring since "conditioning" is a multi-faceted term.

Like everything, it has it's place. But there's far too much emphasis placed on it.

What happened to the Barry who was constantly blogging about the S&C he was doing? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    What happened to the Barry who was constantly blogging about the S&C he was doing? :eek:

Ah ha ha ha you read my blog. I knew there was someone reading and now I know who.

I'm a changed man... back to the man I was before. Weaker but better at jiu jitsu!

• Advertisement
Advertisement