Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vive le Tour!

• 07-08-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

http://vimeo.com/21306164

Great short from 1962 about le Tour. Not sure if people are familiar with it but it is really worth a watch!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Excellent. Loved it. It showed a few nice cafe raids for beer and wine by the peleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

I loved that bit, nowadays riders are careful to take even a water bottle from the fans! Although I do recall seeing Thomas Voeckler taking a bottle of Evian on one of the climbs in the alps.

Such a beautiful era of the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Excellent! Class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That's gorgeous, thanks for posting it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Gotta love the era were health&saftey didn't exist, especially the guys on the motorbikes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Great piece of film - camerawork, editing, super soundtrack. Makes me wish my French was better. Would be funny to see Tommy going up Galibier with a couple of bottles of beer down the back of the maillot juene. Poor old No. 20, at least he went out fighting. Though it all looked nostalgic and innocent, there was a big doping scandal in 1962 after a heap of riders abandoned through illness claiming they were suffering from food-poisoning after eating fish. The Tour Doctor investigated and dismissed it. L'Equipe published a cartoon of the "sick" riders gathered around a fish skeleton with syringes for ribs (according to Matt Rendell's "Blazing Saddles (A Cruel and Unusual History of The Tour De France)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Great film thanks for posting it.

Hard men eh....slap a bit of cotton dressing on a head wound and stick his blood soaked cap back on to hold it in place.

Jeeez, those crashes, and with glass bottles in their jersey pockets :eek:

You gotta feel for no. 20 on Team Ignis (red and black stripes). He was so out of it, he just falls into the roadside verge still strapped in to the pedals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Fantastic video, I really enjoyed that. I've never seen the tour in colour that far back. Does anyone know who No.20 was? Tried looking for rider lists with no success.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Giuseppe Zorzi?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Giuseppe Zorzi?

Yep that's spot on, just found a team listing using your info and it's got him as rider No. 20. Cheers, I was interested to know what happened to him in the end.

http://ledicodutour.perso.sfr.fr/equipes/equipes_par_annees/1957_1966/1962.htm

a.b. 6 e must mean he pulled out or was pulled out in the 6th stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

wayne0308 wrote: »
    I was interested to know what happened to him in the end.

Still with us it seems aged 73. Wonder if he's racing with the Italian Vets.:)

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=25620

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Excelent, that 18 minutes just few by! Those roads in 1962 and still better than the Irish roads of 2011!

Fantastic video, I really enjoyed that. I've never seen the tour in colour that far back. Does anyone know who No.20 was? Tried looking for rider lists with no success.

If you go to Wikipedia and then click on some of the other language options you may find more info. The Dutch pages are usually a good one to start with.
    And http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/ is great too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ledgesquared

I usually don't leave comments but I had to log in to thank you for posting that. Absolutely class video, and a great reminder of just how hardcore it was.

That is cycling!

Hermy wrote: »
    Giuseppe Zorzi?

Do I not get a thank you?:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thankeee!!! :) Seems like he didn't really last long enough or win enough in the professional world to have much information written about him sadly.

Thankeee!!! :)
    :D:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Brilliant! Brilliant! These were MEN!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

Advertisement