Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet Based Questions help!!

Options
  • 07-08-2011 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

QUESTION 1
    Can a device with a Gigabit Ethernet card communicate via a standard Ethernet hub?.. Explain

QUESTION 2
    Describe using an example the effect of plugging an Ethernet hub into an Ethernet switch port.

QUESTION 3
    Using diagrams for a hub based network and a switch based network, explain the difference between an Ethernet collision domain and an Ethernet broadcast domain.

QUESTION 4
    Consider a multi-access Ethernet network where one host has an adapter that does not back off after detecting a collision. Describe how this would affect the communication performance for the other hosts.

Any help in answering these would be great or even links to sites with some useful information will be appreciated.

Thanking You

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Or you could try doing your own homework. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Mutant

LoGiE wrote: »
    Or you could try doing your own homework. :rolleyes:

Ha its not homework, i am just looking over some material before i go back to college in september, i am on summer holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

They seem like very specific questions for someone 'just looking over some material'

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Mutant

gerryk wrote: »
    They seem like very specific questions for someone 'just looking over some material'

They are as they are from a couple of previous exams in the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

So what are your guesses at the answers, and we'll tell you whether you're right or not:) Q's 1 - 2 should be fairly easy to find out about, Q 3 might take a bit of research, and Q 4 is answerable if you understand the basics

go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet

• Advertisement
Advertisement