Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a job with no experience?

Options
  • 07-08-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Right so I'm thinking of going to Australia sometime next year and I'm wondering what are the job opportunities like for someone without previous experience. I have a degree in Construction Management (graduating in August) but I have zero experience of working in this field. Would it be difficult for me to find a job due to this? Not sure where I'd go yet but it would probably be either Sydney or one of the WA cities like Perth. I could always go farming over there if things dont work out looking for a job as I've 7 years experience of driving tractors but I'd prefer to be in a city or as close as I can be to a city!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Testament1 wrote: »
    Right so I'm thinking of going to Australia sometime next year and I'm wondering what are the job opportunities like for someone without previous experience. I have a degree in Construction Management (graduating in August) but I have zero experience of working in this field. Would it be difficult for me to find a job due to this? Not sure where I'd go yet but it would probably be either Sydney or one of the WA cities like Perth. I could always go farming over there if things dont work out looking for a job as I've 7 years experience of driving tractors but I'd prefer to be in a city or as close as I can be to a city!

Of course it would be... you are looking for a job to train you up and in 6 months when you are almost proving of value you will bugger off.

As per the conditions of your VISA.

You might be impressive enough to warrant sponsoring but thats a big gamble for a firm to take.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did you think of going to New Zealand instead. You can work for anywhere for the whole 12 months of your visa. It would make potential employers more interested in you as you would potentially be there for a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Testament1 wrote: »

It was hard enough to get a job with college n 10 years exprince can't imagine trying it without experince.

There are jobs here but the aussie will always get it over others. Just the way it is.

Tip for any IT people coming over look up ITIL n do a cert in it if possible. Big thing for IT services here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 josephanthony

I have little experience and I am going to give it a go. Yes you are only allowed to work for 6 months but if you get in and they really like you, then they might give you sponsership. What have you to lose, at least you can go farming and gain a second year Visa and try to get work again. The worst that they can say is 'NO'. You get to enjoy a new country, meet new people and enjoy the good weather. Look at the positives of the experience, being positive might get you what you want, even if the odds are stacked against you like myself.:D

P.S. loved New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I have little experience and I am going to give it a go. Yes you are only allowed to work for 6 months but if you get in and they really like you, then they might give you sponsership. What have you to lose, at least you can go farming and gain a second year Visa and try to get work again. The worst that they can say is 'NO'. You get to enjoy a new country, meet new people and enjoy the good weather. Look at the positives of the experience, being positive might get you what you want, even if the odds are stacked against you like myself.:D

P.S. loved New Zealand

Look guys don't want people coming over on false hope . All this talk of getting sponcered by a company because they like you is BS. You get sponcered because you have the skills n experince the company need n can't get here n Oz. Companies aren't in business for the fun of it. They're there to make money. You being entertaining , funny n everyone liking you isn't going to make them money.

If it's sponcership your after build up your work experince n skills before you get here. Sick of people painting Oz as the land of endless jobs . Like you'll walk off the plane and into a job and then have the company beg you to stay just doesn't happen.

The WHV is great n a great experince but not a way to migrate. I'm not trying to put people off coming just want you to have the correct facts before you do.

• Advertisement

Ozeire wrote: »
    You being entertaining , funny n everyone liking you isn't going to make them money.

Come on are you serious, of course nobody is going to take you on for the reasons above. I was saying that they might like you, not just personality but also work ethic,commitment.......etc If they give you the chance in the first place, then you can prove yourself.

I have tried the route in getting experience unpaid in Ireland and cannot even get that. Its ridiculous. Of course chances are against you with limited experience but if you have no ties and you haven't traveled why not go and give it a go. I bet your chances of getting a job are much better over in OZ than here, even with limited experience.

I'm thinking exactly like yourself but sometimes you have to look at some positives of the experience. WHV is the first route that majority of people have to take in getting skilled visas, sponsorship and so on.

Us Irish can be pessimistic in our way of thinking so I'm just trying to look at the positives of the experience and who knows what may come of it. At least it beats being on the dole here. Its a way of working towards you goal.

Again, I'm giving it a go and if it doesn't work out, I will come home from, hopefully a good experience

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Like most people coming over it is a gamble and sometimes you need a lot of luck. Speak to everyone, recruiters, companies...join LinkedIn and join some Irish Engineers in Australia groups and you might find people who live a town across from you or you have a mutual friend or even were in the same college with the same lecturers.

You would be amazed at the connections you can have with people you don't know so the trick is to cover all bases. Do your research on LinkedIn and join as many groups as possible here in Australia with an Irish connection as well as the locally based ones.

Also, try Canberra and other regions because if you only want to live in Sydney or Melbourne ... well as they say you can't have your cake and eat it. If you genuinely want to make a move for your career be willing to move somewhere outside of more populated areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Come on are you serious, of course nobody is going to take you on for the reasons above. I was saying that they might like you, not just personality but also work ethic,commitment.......etc If they give you the chance in the first place, then you can prove yourself.

Hi

From the immi website on the 457 Visa (Sponsored)

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/how-the-visa-works.htm
    For this visa you will need to be approved as an eligible sponsor. You will also need:

an eligible nominated occupation
    an eligible nominated employee.

Your work ethic could be 120% your commitment of the map but if its not a eliglible occupation

Under this list

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2011L00246/Download

How are you going to do that?

I like your attitude that you are willing to give it a go but at the end of the day if you have not got a skill someone can sponsor you on you need another plan.

I am staying this because once upon a time I tried your plan it did not work.

Okay,

So it's been awhile since i posted on this thread because I didn't want to go back and forth giving my point. So I said, I'll give you an update on my situation.

I came over here with limited experience as a draftsman and started sending out emails since November. I managed to get an interview on the day I arrived after a 26 hour flight, I was knackered. I had to go pick up a car and with the help of the Nav System I was on my way. I didn't realise where i was going or how far it was. By god was it far, an hour an half driving lol (forgot to mention I was staying in Coogee East suberbs and was going far west). So at the end of it all It was positive and I was getting a start.

Now I was very fortunate to get this job but at the same time I had to consider my girlfriend who wanted to stay east suberbs, who was put off by the distance and the area, supposedly bit dodgy but you hear that about alot of places. long story short I decided not to take it but was kind of regretting it later on.

Anyways I had another interview for an engineering crowd as a drafter the following Monday but later found out that they wanted someone local and permanent. Now I was starting to kick myself. So, I started my new job, looking for work. Hours everyday sending out CV's and cover letters. There was days I was getting bit depressed cause nothing was coming my way but I think it was down to the fact it was coming up to Xmas. One word of advice do not come before the new year. Alot of people probably know that.

So, 1/200 emails later, I get a call with a shop fitout company that was operated by Chinese, very small company and said that they would take me on part time. I wanted something more solid but beggars can't be choosers. once your in a job, it's easier to find another. The hours here were pretty bad and money was not too good either but was happy I was getting experience.

So now its January, nearly three months since I left. Oh ya I forgot to mention that I was offered a months work for another interior company but couldn't take it, giving it was just a month, depending on workload. So Three months later, going on Linked In, recommended by one the users in this thread, sending out tonnes of CV's and ringing people a bit as well, things were not going good again I have to mention (It was November), so the girlfriend and myself said we should look into Fruit picking and then maybe go to Brisbane and look for work all over again. I was prepared to look into any type of work at this stage until I found work that I wanted. Oh ya, I was regretting for not taking the first job lol.

So, sick of reading replies from comapanies saying "Thank you for your application but unfortunetly we do not have any positions at present. We will keep you Resume on file". Every reply, when I got one, was becoming the norm. Then I go on seek throw CV's into engineering companys, where I had very limited experience and then I get a reply saying "We might have a position that may suit you". Brilliant!! I thought but was a bit skeptical as well because they would need to train me from the bottom. So i go in meet the director. Anticipating the question "So tell me bout yourself," . With out going into too much detail, I have the job. They know the visa situation and my limited experience, They suggested the 457 Visa, so happy days, I got a job that I am really happy about.

So as I said, from my last posts, it is not impossible to come out here with limited experience. Its hard, of course it is but If you are willing to push yourself and to be honest, I don't think I pushed myself that hard, there is a chance, someone will give you ago. So don't look to much into negative comments. Be real with your expectations, do not expect too much but work hard to get what you want and experience travelling. I don't think you will regret it, I'm loving it here and my experience hasn't even started but I hope it will turn out to be good.

Okay thats me done, its a scorcher outside and I want to go to the beach.
    Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Fair play to ye mate!

• Advertisement

Cheers bud, appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They've started with the engineering company, and they are aware of the 6 months thing are are considering 457. Good stuff. DeFacto for the GF too.

Graduate position salary should be decent enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

So, I started my new job, looking for work. Hours everyday sending out CV's and cover letters.

This is my favourite line. Fair play to ya. I wonder how many other people take this attitude?

Advertisement