Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jazz newcomer

• 07-08-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi there, ive recently been getting into the works of Miles Davis and John Coltrane and am not sure where to go next. I was wondering if you recommend your personal favourite artist to me. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Heh, a personal favourite artist would be impossible for me to state. I couldn't even state a personal favourite guitarist, drummer or tenor player. Eubanks is my favourite trombone player though :p

Assuming you're fond of the hard-bop era here are some other great albums of the time that i really got into and the start of my eh.... jazz odyssey :p that are all of a similar ilk to Miles' and Coltranes' most popular stuff. Most the albums by these guys are all great but these'd arguably be the best introductions to them

Wayne Shorter - JuJu
    Joe Henderson - Page One
    Freddie Hubbard - Ready for Freddie
    Thelonious Monk - genius of modern music volumes are probably the best place to start.
    Wes Montgomery - Smokin' at the Half Note
    Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
    Dave Brubeck - Time Out
    Horace Silver - Song for my Father
    Ornette Coleman - Shape of Jazz to Come
    Clifford Brown / Max Roach Quintet - Clifford Brown and Max Roach
    Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
    Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique
    Bill Evans - Sunday At The Village Vanguard (get the complete recordings)
    Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage

That'd be a good start, there's literally thousands of great albums though. Check out the names of the players in albums you like and use the net to find out what other albums they feature on. You'll be amazed how quickly you learn to differentiate different tenors', drummers', bassists' etc. style and how you might have a preference for one over the other.

Then of course there's all the different types of jazz that followed on from hard-bop 'fusion, acid, free, eh... modern' or that came before it 'swing, be-bop'. Its easy to get overwhelmed by it all but take your time and enjoy and indulge in what music you acquire.

Allmusic.com has a good feature where they tell you about 'similar artists' to ones you're looking up. Also lyric fm's jazz alley show is great for guys you mightn't have heard of before - its always worth listening to them online if you feel like something new. The JK ensemble also features some nice modern jazz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Rds1989

Ha thanks man that will keep me occupied for a good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Cannonball Adderley, can't go wrong with Cannonball!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Charles Mingus...Pithecanthropus Erectus or Ah Um. Or Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lezard

For me it's Django Reinhardt , can't recommend him enough.

And also anyone that's ever been in a band with Miles Davis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

In no particular order, here's a few of my favourites:

Cannonball Adderley - Nippon Soul
    George Benson - White Rabbit
    John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    Dave Brubeck - Time Out
    Buddy Rich - Roar of '74
    Bheki Mseleku - Timelessness
    Weather Report - 8:30
    Bill Evans - From Left to Right
    Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
    Louis Stewart/ Martin Taylor - Acoustic Guitar Duets

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Gerry Mulligan - Night Lights.

Stan Getz - Getz/Gilberto.

The former being my 'night' album, and the latter my sunny day one!

Advertisement