Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burkina Faso

Options
  • 07-08-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Right, Im off to work overseas in Burkina Faso West Africa. My fears are manifold, for both health and safety, malaria, violence and unforessen events.

Has anyone lived there? I will be living remote in a village called Dori. Does any one have practical advice about living and working in west Africa? Should i inform the Irish foreign department before I go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

From some experience from nearly 7 months in East Africa if any of it can be helpful, my colleagues and I were advised to present ourselves to the Irish Embassy; so if that is possible for you perhaps informing the Irish Foreign Department won't be necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to do that additionally if you're worried I suppose.

Some advice which was helpful for me which should be pertinent for you was the usual keep hydrated (bottled water), get your shots, take malaria prophylaxis, use a mosquito net, (the doxycycline was free of ill-effects as far as I could see), be careful of food (best well cooked)--I tried a local dish of raw meat (breaking a big rule) on two occasions and neither time went very well!--and beware ice in drinks, take practical clothes appropriate for climate (I had to keep in mind stifling heat and a wet rainy season) and remember to take medicines like immodium, rehydration salts and things like that with you. I'm sure you've heard all of these bits before, but hopefully some of that helped.

Engage with people and make friends too, that's important. And if you're bringing electric equipment bring necessary adapters.

Advertisement