Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configuring Vodafone modem with Eircom

Options
  • 07-08-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently having lots of issues with a Zxyel modem and am considering switching back to our old Vodafone one. We initially used it with Eircom but had some small issues loading sites and Eircom said it was because it wasn't configured for Eircom.

Does anyone know how I could do this?
    Its called a Vodafone home gateway model: HG556a

Huawei Technologies co. LTD
    HW version: HG55VDfa VER.C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ok im logged into the router and from reading boards it appears that all I have to do is change the username and password to the Eircom equivalent, but I cant seem to find where I can do this. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

AdamD wrote: »
    Ok im logged into the router and from reading boards it appears that all I have to do is change the username and password to the Eircom equivalent, but I cant seem to find where I can do this. Any suggestions?

Hi Adam,

have you tried the following tips eircom have set up for third party modems - http://bit.ly/rdrlyZ

Thanks, Mark

I've tried but can't seem to find where I change those particular settings

Can anyone point me in the right direction here:
    modem.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I tried it this morning and it’s a non-runner. I’d guess seen as it’s a Vodafone firmware it’s locked to them and can’t be changed.

I went back to my old Netopia router after issues with the Zxyel model.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭IsMiseDaithair

This is how you do it Adam.
    In the page you have on the screen choose ADSL Uplink and click next.
    On the next screen you need to click edit, its at the end of the bar.
    On the next screen VPI should be 8 and VCI 35, if not change them, click next.
    You should now be on a " connection type " page, select PPPoE.
    On the next screen is where you change the PPP username and password. username is eircom@eircom.net and password is broadband1. Change those and click next.
    On the next screen click next.
    A summary screen will be displayed, clikc save. On the next screen click save/reboot. Modem will restart and you will be connected to the eircom network.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

From the page that Adam D is showing in his post, if you follow my steps exactly it works.

Would be great if you could do screenshots

IsMiseDaithair apologies im some tulip, I had it in one of the phone line ports, not the ASDL connection!

AdamD ill do screenshots on the changes I made and upload them to picasa for you now. Im using the Vodafone router to send this!

Fullscreen%252520capture%25252009082011%252520141718.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen%252520capture%25252009082011%252520141737.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen%252520capture%25252009082011%252520141752.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen%252520capture%25252009082011%252520141805.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen%252520capture%25252009082011%252520141818.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen%252520capture%25252009082011%252520141831.bmp.jpg
    Fullscreen%252520capture%25252009082011%252520141855.bmp.jpg

• Advertisement

Those settings were already in :/

ill see if sites load properly now but it was seemingly set up correctly before

still seems to be issues, any ideas how to fix it?

Rest the router and retry?

When you do reboot you might need to hit the connect button on the Vodafone page. It does take a few seconds from point of reboot to getting access.

I can get on the internet fine and always have with this modem, the problem is loading sites with it, I thought this eircom thing was the issue but it seems that it was fine all along.

What issues do you have with sites?

Did you try changing the DNS?

No problem Jeffk glad ya got it working :D

Adam is it all websites that wont open or is it just certain ones.
    For the websites that wont open can you open them using the IP address of the site instead of the URL. If this works it may be a DNS issue.

What happens when the webpage does not open,what error message comes up?

Random websites dont open sometimes and open others, generally take very long to load despite speed test and download times being very good. What should I do to my DNS?

Fullscreen%252520capture%25252009082011%252520165139.bmp.jpg

Doesn't really sound like a DNS issue to me, although I could be wrong.
    What browser do you use is it Internet Explorer of firefox etc. ?
    Try a second browser and see if the issue is still the same.
    Have you cleared your browsing history lately. If the cache gets full it can slow the browser down.
    Have you updated your anti virus and scanned for pc for spyware, malware etc.

Ill try the DNS, its not a browser issue as the pages load fine with the ****ty zyxel router

Ah ok if it's loading fine with the zyxel, it's probably some configuration on the vodafone modem.

Best thing is probably to reset modem and set it back up with the eircom settings and see if that works any better.

• Advertisement

Thats what I done, also I tuned off quality of service, meant to be better without it.

Advertisement