Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limit on devices that UPC will allow to connect?

• 07-08-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, I'm not very technical so bear with me you techies!

I have UPC broadband bundle (tv phone and BB) using a EPC2203 router and a Netgear wireless access point.

I have 2 laptops at home connecting to the wireless and my android phone. If I try yo connect anything else (e.g. visiting friends laptop or ipad) it won't get access to the internet, wireless connects OK but no internet ip address seems to be allocated.

Can I fix this or is it a call to upc issue?

Thanks for any help you can give!
    M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Mervenut wrote: »
    Hi, I'm not very technical so bear with me you techies!

I have UPC broadband bundle (tv phone and BB) using a EPC2203 router and a Netgear wireless access point.

I have 2 laptops at home connecting to the wireless and my android phone. If I try yo connect anything else (e.g. visiting friends laptop or ipad) it won't get access to the internet, wireless connects OK but no internet ip address seems to be allocated.

Can I fix this or is it a call to upc issue?

Thanks for any help you can give!
    M

More likely the router itself than anything UPC are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Mervenut

So, are you saying the router may be faulty?

Just to clarify, if I want to add another device to the wlan I have to reset the router, whereby one of the existing devices (usually a laptop) is "bumped" off the network to allow the new device to connect once the router resets!

Has anyone any experience of having more than 3 or 4 devices connected to a wlan using this router?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It looks as if the UPC is a modem rather than a router?

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/modem_DPC2203.html

You say that the netgear is a wireless access point if so it may be the case that there is no routing function in your system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You don't have a router.
    The Cisco 2203 is a cable modem/bridge

You are actually getting public ip's from UPC for each device , you need to replace the netgear access point with a router with built in wireless.

You don't have a router.
    The Cisco 2203 is a cable modem/bridge

You are actually getting public ip's from UPC for each device , you need to replace the netgear access point with a router with built in wireless.
    OH, that makes sense, thanks demanufactured, I'll start looking for one, any recommendations/don't buy tips?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Mervenut wrote: »
    OH, that makes sense, thanks demanufactured, I'll start looking for one, any recommendations/don't buy tips?

Id order this....

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/20061580/D_Link_DIR_652_Wireless_N_Gigabit_Home_Router_/DIR_652_E/default.aspx

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Sounds to me like you have a netgear router but the connection are crossed...

Make sure you have the ethernet cable from the modem to the router in the WAN port...Sounds to me like its connected to port 1, 2, 3, 4 which can turn the router into a bridge causing the modem to be handling the routing...

In this case there can be a limit to how many IP addresses the modem releases...

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you have a netgear router but the connection are crossed...

Make sure you have the ethernet cable from the modem to the router in the WAN port...Sounds to me like its connected to port 1, 2, 3, 4 which can turn the router into a bridge causing the modem to be handling the routing...

In this case there can be a limit to how many IP addresses the modem releases...
    Sudsy86, thanks but it's an Access Point not a router as previously mentioned (see ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wg602v2_install_guide.pdf)

So I think I need to buy a router!

Hi and thanks to you all, bought a router and all is now humming along nicely!

Advertisement