Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling question.

• 07-08-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

We are going to do up the bathroom,finally say good bye to the Avocado suite! Been waiting for it to come back in vogue , but no sign yet!

Question relates to tiles that are covering the walls behind the taps and the side of the bath up to ceiling level. They are up about 14 years and are still in pristine condition and were well fitted. The walls are plasterboard.

Can anyone advise if they think these will come down relatively easily?

If not, is it a better option to tile over them?
    And get the remaining walls re plastered/slabbed to level things off before commencing tiling?
    I have heard conflicting reports on the effectiveness of doing that(ie tiling over tiles)

any advice appreciate...thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

In my experience tiling over tiles simply doesn't work - am not speaking as a professional but as someone that has done a bit of tiling in my own home so a professional may have a different view. I tried this a few years ago and it was a disaster as the tiles underneath were uneven plus I was wasting a lot of adhesive.

Tiles on plasterboard can be very difficult to remove while not damaging the plaster board underneath.

I would recommend removing the old tiles and if it is proving too difficult to do so without damaging the plasterboard underneath simply cut out the damaged plasterboard and replacing it with new plasterboard - make sure you get the proper plasterboard graded for bathrooms (can't think of the name of it at the minute) and simply tile over the new plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Widescreen

for what its worth my tiles are smooth. still if its that awkward to get the tiles off the plasterboard I dont really fancy cutting all the plasterboard out...getting to sound an awkward job.

might stick with what we have unless anyone else can suggest anything thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Dont tile over tile. Its shoite and it does cause problems.

As for taking them down. You wont need to skim the plasterboard. Just replace it. If its a concrete wall then they sould come down ok. Just dont murder them taking them off.

As for the bathroom sweet.

Many people are still looking for replacement basins and toilet lids. You would be amazed.

If you have t cut lying around it restores the colour of this suite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

just wondering how long it will take adhesive to go off. It is about 5mm adhesive and it was put down on old tiles. They are down since tuesday morning and there is still abit of movement in some of the tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What sort of adhesive did you use? Was it out of the bucket or mixed from a bag

If tiles are still moving at this stage chances are its not stuck to the tiles correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 solidwork

twas a mixed bucket. Most of them seem solid but i dont want to walk over them. I did the kitchen in two halves and the second half was don on wednesday. The loose tile is the first row i did but is also beside the first row i did on wednesday. Do you think i'm in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

solidwork wrote: »
    twas a mixed bucket. Most of them seem solid but i dont want to walk over them. I did the kitchen in two halves and the second half was don on wednesday. The loose tile is the first row i did but is also beside the first row i did on wednesday. Do you think i'm in trouble.

If you used buckets on the floor your in trouble yes. If you used a bucket to tile over tile your most likely in trouble yes.

Advertisement