Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who thinks winter 2011/2012 will be even colder than the last 2?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Hey Min if you prefer mild Atlantic cloudy, wet muck in winter then you must be enjoying the Atlantic cloudy wet muck of this so called summer.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Hey Min if you prefer mild Atlantic cloudy, wet muck in winter then you must be enjoying the Atlantic cloudy wet muck of this so called summer.:D

We haven't got that much rain here, it seemed to avoid us a lot, even the radar for this morning was wrong as we got no rain and the Met Eireann radar shows we got heavy rain, just had a few drops so far today but the yard is still dry.

It has been a very good summer for grass growth after the drought we had for spring and early summer, we needed the rain.
    It was only in June that we got some rain but still it was not exceptional, would have liked the temperatures a little higher at times.
    We didn't have a wet summer here but still one couldn't make hay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Min wrote: »
    We haven't got that much rain here, it seemed to avoid us a lot, even the radar for this morning was wrong as we got no rain and the Met Eireann radar shows we got heavy rain,

ok, I agree, it hasn't been a wet summer but that permanent blanket of cloud off the Atlantic you would do your head in!!
    The radars have gone haywire today all right, The 1245 radar shows it raining in Dublin yet I didn't get any, the ground is completely dry.
    www.raintoday.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

We haven't got that much rain here, it seemed to avoid us a lot, even the radar for this morning was wrong as we got no rain and the Met Eireann radar shows we got heavy rain,

ok, I agree, it hasn't been a wet summer but that permanent blanket of cloud off the Atlantic you would do your head in!!
    The radars have gone haywire today all right, The 1245 radar shows it raining in Dublin yet I didn't get any, the ground is completely dry.
    www.raintoday.co.uk

The weather we had this summer suited me, I know it didn't suit most people - a bit like the snow, some wants loads other don't want it, a dry summer here and the place is burnt, the grass was burning up before the rain in June so I am happy we didn't have a 1995 type summer as it would have been a disaster after the dry spring and early summer.
    Would have liked warmer rain :p :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

We haven't got that much rain here, it seemed to avoid us a lot, even the radar for this morning was wrong as we got no rain and the Met Eireann radar shows we got heavy rain, just had a few drops so far today but the yard is still dry.

It has been a very good summer for grass growth after the drought we had for spring and early summer, we needed the rain.
    It was only in June that we got some rain but still it was not exceptional, would have liked the temperatures a little higher at times.
    We didn't have a wet summer here but still one couldn't make hay.

Same here, radar waaaaaayyyyyyy off this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

The problem is we get snow outside of Dublin but we never hear the end of it when Dublin gets one inch and people turn their taps on because they seemingly want to run the reservoirs low :P

I remember listening to a news program last winter and someone in Dublin had water coming out of their windows, left the tap on while they were gone so the water wouldn't freeze in the attic and burst a pipe and flood the house, you gotta laugh.

Well in fairness Min, Dublin was the snow capital of Ireland last winter. The city recorded nearly two foot of snow between the end of November and the 23rd December. It just never stopped snowing in Dublin the week running up to Christmas. That said, it was mega! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would prefer this coming winter to be more even than last winter where we had cold snowy conditons till Christmas Day then barely a patch of frost for the rest of the winter. I dont think we will have a 'run-up' to christmas quite like last year but I think there should still be some nice snow events this winter more especially in January and February rather than November and early to mid December. I would prefer a proper nationwide snow event, dont think we have had one in years, sick of that Isle Of Man Shadow each and every winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭John.Icy

derekon wrote: »
    Well in fairness Min, Dublin was the snow capital of Ireland last winter. The city recorded nearly two foot of snow between the end of November and the 23rd December. It just never stopped snowing in Dublin the week running up to Christmas. That said, it was mega! :D

Hey what about some of us in Kildare/Wicklow/Wexford??? :p:p Dublin bias or what! ;)

And to those saying it is bad for our economy and such to have another bad winter, isn't it better to get used to them sooner, rather than 5 years down the line after a few mild winters we go back to our usual inch of snow shutting the whole shop down? We need to learn to run the country in severe winters. Russia/Canada/Sweeden/Norway and so many more all do it, we need to start functioning under a lot of snow as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

John.Icy wrote: »
    Hey what about some of us in Kildare/Wicklow/Wexford??? :p:p Dublin bias or what! ;)

And to those saying it is bad for our economy and such to have another bad winter, isn't it better to get used to them sooner, rather than 5 years down the line after a few mild winters we go back to our usual inch of snow shutting the whole shop down? We need to learn to run the country in severe winters. Russia/Canada/Sweeden/Norway and so many more all do it, we need to start functioning under a lot of snow as soon as possible.

Apologies to my weather friends in Wexford, Wicklow and Kildare :D

However, if memory serves me correctly I do not think Wexford fared as well snow wise out of the late December snow fall (though I think it easily got most snow in Ireland in the first round in late November , early December)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

I just can't wait for to spend the whole evening watching the radar for the isle of man shadow to move! :D come on wind direction! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

My New Setup for this winters long hours watching the radar haha :)

171560.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I have a bad feeling that the radar watching won't happen this winter as it just won't get that cold . . .i can envisage a westerly wind shift in early november sticking around til March.

The level of optimism round here is ridiculous!

(Hope I'm wrong!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭eskimocat

It's okay Tony cause we have you about to keep things level... someone has to mind the shop i suppose! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I should probably cancel the huskys and sleigh order then... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Pangea wrote: »
    I should probably cancel the huskys and sleigh order then... :D

LOL, You know if you do you'll regret it! It will be back to using tennis rackets as snow shoes again this year ;) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

eskimocat wrote: »
    LOL, You know if you do you'll regret it! It will be back to using tennis rackets as snow shoes again this year ;) lol

or else make yer own snow shoes like bear gryls :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

I have a bad feeling that the radar watching won't happen this winter as it just won't get that cold . . .i can envisage a westerly wind shift in early november sticking around til March.

(Hope I'm wrong!)

Using reverse psychology on the weather gods looking down on us....I like it! Good tinkin' Tony :D

Who would have thought there would ever be such an active snowthread ongoing during the Summer months. I love it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Its Autumn now isn't it? August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

program on bbc4 now about SNOW :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

bazzooka wrote: »
    First post, followed the thread last year, was both interesting, funny and invaluable for planning journeys. Hopefully the same this year:D

A friend of mine in wellington nz posted this:
    http://vimeo.com/27709878

Its funny seeing the amazement on their faces at a once in a lifetime "snow shower" We were spoilt last year!

Is this another sign of cooling global temperatures?

great video, bazzooka. We are so lucky that snow isn't a once-in-a-lifetime event for us, but neither are we blessed like e.g. Russia with crazy snow. In a way when we get snow, I'm as happy as those people in that video! It's almost unreal when it starts snowing here!

Roll on the winter til I'm wrapped up in my layers and having Dean Martin sing, "Walking in a Winter Wonderland!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Mild and wet/dry would be ideal. Snow and ice on the roads is no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 b2dadizzle

I would love if it was absolutely freezing this winter, but with no snow or ice at all. I love the cold, but the snow and ice is just too much of an inconvenience, especially when you live in the middle of nowhere like I do. Couldn't get anywhere for about 4 weeks last year. I had to get my groceries delivered by a neighbour who had a tractor.
    Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to be freezing cold and not have ice and snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

yes but only if we were experiencing severe draught conditions for 4 weeks, but the chances of that happening are very slim, if it was frezzing cold for 4 weeks there would almost definitely some snow, kt would be very odd in ireland anyway not to have even a little bit of precipitation for a whole month, so im sorry to say that if next winter is freezing cold like you want it to be, unfortunately for you plenty of snow and ice will come with those freezing temperatures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I think we're due a blocking high to the east of us for most of the winter :p

what would a blocking high to the east mean for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

bb1234567 wrote: »
    what would a blocking high to the east mean for us?
    Happy-days.jpg

happy days for you because you love mild non snowy weather or happy days because you love cold,snowy weather, hopefully the latter:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

happy days for you because you love mild non snowy weather or happy days because you love cold,snowy weather, hopefully the latter:)

IMG_2830.jpg:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm not that into the weather that I stayed on here the rest of the year, but I have to say I was hooked last winter and looking forward to radar watch nights this winter, and thanking all the weather gurus on here.

I'm French and grew up with more extreme weather, and I've to say, I miss it here. Hoping for either good storms or snow this year.
    I'm around 200m asl and got snow chains last year, proved invaluable, and wondering how it is people here don't just cop on and get the gear. They're not that expensive for God's sake ! And I'm a woman and had no bother sticking them on after 1 or 2 trys.
    We also got a 4x4, and heating upgraded... so bring it on !!!!!!

I wish the government would mandate Winter Tires and provide crampon grants to the elderly. Then two of the main bugbears of the anti snow brigade would be gone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Have a good read of what this guy has to say. I kept an eye on his blog coming into last winter and he was fairly on the money. Seems like we're in for another winter to rival if not surpass the previous 2:

http://globalcoolingnewiceageuk.blogspot.com/

I'm not that into the weather that I stayed on here the rest of the year, but I have to say I was hooked last winter and looking forward to radar watch nights this winter, and thanking all the weather gurus on here.

I'm French and grew up with more extreme weather, and I've to say, I miss it here. Hoping for either good storms or snow this year.
    I'm around 200m asl and got snow chains last year, proved invaluable, and wondering how it is people here don't just cop on and get the gear. They're not that expensive for God's sake ! And I'm a woman and had no bother sticking them on after 1 or 2 trys.
    We also got a 4x4, and heating upgraded... so bring it on !!!!!!

I like ur style!

More people like u please!! :D

Feels like winter today actually.. Going out with the jacket on .. Cloudy , breezy.. And heavy rain! :D ... Just need it to be about 15 degrees colder! :D:D:D

IM puttin my money on james madden for a rly cold winter, it was crazy how accurate his summer forecast was! and i only heard about james madden recently but some articles said he correctly predicted the harsh winter conditions of the last 3 years. so im goin with him nd so cant wait for a really cold winter.... i'll be sunk if this winter is frezzing cold:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Was talking to the cat yesterday, Said it's going to start snowing on the 29th november and won't stop until the 16th january. He's fairly sound so i'd take his word on it.

• Advertisement

baraca wrote: »
    Was talking to the cat yesterday, Said it's going to start snowing on the 29th november and won't stop until the 16th january. He's fairly sound so i'd take his word on it.

Cheers!!! :)..... Ill order the set of skiis for the family so! :D

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭snowstreams

kstand wrote: »

i was just reading that blog there. it was interesting to see that he mentioned this:
    Many regions across the UK have also experienced notable grey skies due to above average cloud cover, as I originally forecast. I expect this trend to continue as I have outlined many times, due to the low levels of solar activity that we have experienced in recent years.

I was wondering that too this summer, it was very cloudy a lot of the time even with high pressure around.
    I know high pressure isnt always clear, but this summer most high pressure days just produced lots of cloud, this might well have been due to cosmic rays.

kstand wrote: »
    Have a good read of what this guy has to say. I kept an eye on his blog coming into last winter and he was fairly on the money. Seems like we're in for another winter to rival if not surpass the previous 2:

http://globalcoolingnewiceageuk.blogspot.com/

yeah he sure does seem to be quiet good alright.

will be interesting to see wat he comes up with as it gets closer to winter..

plenty of snow hopefully :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Look at the berries on the white-thorn ......a sure sign if a hard winter .:
    101_1539.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

This Guy selling firewood in Limerick says its going to be a BAD Winter - Then actually the "worst winter" :D

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    This Guy selling firewood in Limerick says its going to be a BAD Winter - Then actually the "worst winter" :D

If he's successful, Limerick will soon look like this! :pac:
    moors8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 MrMickeyMouse

Don't forget we all need to re-post on this forum in April when the winter turns out to be mild and wet and publicly acknowledge we haven't got a chance of predicting more than about 10 days in advance!

All these people that start predicating massive snow falls always seem to vanish from the forums in the spring when it never happens!!!

I would have asked Paul the Octopus, but sadly he died after the excitement of the 2010 World Cup results!

WAIUKU WEATHERSTONE FORECASTING SERVICE

CONDITION OF STONE----FORECAST

Stone is wet----Raining
    Stone is dry----Not raining
    Stone casts shadow----Sunny
    White on top----Frosty
    Can't see stone----Foggy
    Swinging stone----Very windy
    Bottom of stone wet----Very high tide
    Stone swinging or gone----Tornado

paul-the-octopus.jpg?w=455&h=311

Don't forget we all need to re-post on this forum in April when the winter turns out to be mild and wet and publicly acknowledge we haven't got a chance of predicting more than about 10 days in advance!

All these people that start predicating massive snow falls always seem to vanish from the forums in the spring when it never happens!!!

I would have asked Paul the Octopus, but sadly he died after the excitement of the 2010 World Cup results!

WAIUKU WEATHERSTONE FORECASTING SERVICE

CONDITION OF STONE----FORECAST

Stone is wet----Raining
    Stone is dry----Not raining
    Stone casts shadow----Sunny
    White on top----Frosty
    Can't see stone----Foggy
    Swinging stone----Very windy
    Bottom of stone wet----Very high tide
    Stone swinging or gone----Tornado

paul-the-octopus.jpg?w=455&h=311

mild an wet , are ya mad :rolleyes:

snowmageddon on the way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,151 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

no. i'll be to down to post next spring if the mild weather fiends have the winter they want

You're right about long range forecast being taken too seriously, however that said we did get substantial snow fall last year and the year before.

As to what happens this winter, seeing as i've been consistently wrong up to now, i'm going to predict another mild winter overall. Temperatures in January will reach 16 degrees in a prevailing south westerly!

is that a joke or do you actually think that this winter will be mild?

is that a joke or do you actually think that this winter will be mild?

id say people that want mild weather are jus tryin to convince themselves it will be mild lol.. :pac:

not goina happen i think.

haha ye... im next to positive that we will get a winter the same or colder than last year and that the winter will last longer than just nov and dec this year :D

haha ye... im next to positive that we will get a winter the same or colder than last year and that the winter will last longer than just nov and dec this year :D

hopefully :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Why is everyone fairly positive that this winter is gonna deliver plenty of snow and cold temperatures like the beginning of last winter? Irish winters are generally mild and wet and sometimes snow free, we got lucky past 3 winters. Many people were confident of a heatwave this summer and look how it turned out. Having said that I would love another snowy winter but maybe more towards January and February rather than November and December.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Why is everyone fairly positive that this winter is gonna deliver plenty of snow and cold temperatures like the beginning of last winter? Irish winters are generally mild and wet and sometimes snow free, we got lucky past 3 winters. Many people were confident of a heatwave this summer and look how it turned out. Having said that I would love another snowy winter but maybe more towards January and February rather than November and December.

A number of articles , low solar output , and statistics ... plus GOOD FEELING on top of that! :)...

• Advertisement
Advertisement