Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Fried Rice

Options
  • 07-08-2011 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any good recipes for chinese takeaway style fried rice?

That's all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Here's how I do mine...

1. Boil the rice
    2. seperate the yolks and whites from 2 eggs. Bin the whites.
    3. Heat some oil in a wok
    4. Put the yolks into the wok and instantly mix it up to prevent it sticking,...then fire in the boiled rice.
    This part is important because some people add the egg to the rice afterwards and wonder why it's all soggy.
    5. Add some soy sauce...fry the rice for about 5 minutes.....fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Here's how I do mine...

1. Boil the rice
    2. seperate the yolks and whites from 2 eggs. Bin the whites.
    3. Heat some oil in a wok
    4. Put the yolks into the wok and instantly mix it up to prevent it sticking,...then fire in the boiled rice.
    This part is important because some people add the egg to the rice afterwards and wonder why it's all soggy.
    5. Add some soy sauce...fry the rice for about 5 minutes.....fantastic.

Sounds great :) I'm going to try this but could you advise on how much rice to use for one person? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

kate.m wrote: »
    Sounds great :) I'm going to try this but could you advise on how much rice to use for one person? :)

For one person....just a half a cup of rice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Many people say to use cold rice, but I think I read jassha (in the Chinese thread) say to use hot rice if you have an electric hob, as it will not get hot enough to replicate the gas fired wok in a takeaway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I always use day old rice that's been kept in the fridge.

1. Break 2 eggs into a bowl
    2. Add in a teaspoon each of minced garlic and ginger, I used the jarred stuff,
    3. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
    4. Scramble the whole lot with fork
    5. Heat groundnut oil in a wok until it's smoking slightly
    6. Throw in the egg mixture followed by the rice.
    7. Stir fry like a maniac until the rice is warmed through.

I also add in frozen prawns and peas sometimes. Serve with a fried egg on top and drizzled in sesame oil :) .

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Cold rice is essential, so the previous day's if you've made extra is ideal. The previous post had the basis for it, but you can add pretty much anything in after that. Fried chicken, prawns, cashew nuts. You can turn your leftover rice into a substantial meal in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

As others have said, the secret is using day old rice.

After that it's literally a case of just stir-frying whatever you happen to have handy.
    Chuck it in with an egg on a very high heat and you're done in a couple of minutes.

That's the way it's done in China.

Personally I'll lightly fry some ground garlic in the pan first but I do that with everything

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Is it essential to bin the whites or can you use the whole egg??
    Is it just richer if you only use the yolks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Also, what if the rice is in a bit of a block?

I can cook pretty much anything but rice always gets the better of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I add KNORR chicken powder to mine, this is basically chicken flavoured MSG* which can be bought in chinese shops, it seems to give quite a takeaway flavour to the rice. otherwise pretty similar to those above (though obviously put in soya sauce due to saltyness of chicken powder). Don't have gas though so never comes out quite right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Louise~ wrote: »
    Is it essential to bin the whites or can you use the whole egg??
    Is it just richer if you only use the yolks?

No reason to bin the whites, it's certainly not practiced here.

Swampy wrote: »
    Also, what if the rice is in a bit of a block?

I can cook pretty much anything but rice always gets the better of me.

Just break it up in to smaller blocks, once in the pan it should become easier to mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I always use day old rice that's been kept in the fridge.

1. Break 2 eggs into a bowl
    2. Add in a teaspoon each of minced garlic and ginger, I used the jarred stuff,
    3. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
    4. Scramble the whole lot with fork
    5. Heat groundnut oil in a wok until it's smoking slightly
    6. Throw in the egg mixture followed by the rice.
    7. Stir fry like a maniac until the rice is warmed through.

I also add in frozen prawns and peas sometimes. Serve with a fried egg on top and drizzled in sesame oil :) .

Gave this recipe a try last night. Fried some chicken in salt, pepper and chicken stock to add to it.

It was delicious. Even better than my local chinese, so thanks very much. And thanks for everyone else's suggestions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Blisterman wrote: »
    Gave this recipe a try last night. Fried some chicken in salt, pepper and chicken stock to add to it.

It was delicious. Even better than my local chinese, so thanks very much. And thanks for everyone else's suggestions.

You're more than welcome.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i cook the (whole) beaten egg first in the wok, stirring and cutting with a plastic spatula till it's all in tiny pieces before throwing in the rice and other ingredients, that way you don't have to worry about it all sticking and clogging up the rice.

other than that, just whatever i happen to have laying around that will go in it. peas, prawns, ham, onion, leftover pork or chicken, crushed up nuts (usually cashews), some soy, spring onions, veg, anything really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Loanshark Blues

Add a tablespoon of sesame oil to the beaten egg yolks

Advertisement