Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four GPS Choices

Options
  • 07-08-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I have been looking at the following four GPS's and was hoping if any of you have had any experiance with them:

Garmin nuvi 1410
    Garmin nuvi 1440t
    TomTom XL2 IQ
    Navman Tourer UK

I have used my bosses Garmin from a few years ago (cant remember what model) but one really annoying thing it did was if you missed your turn it would recalculate a way back to that point instead of forgetting that point and plotting a new course. Is this still a problem with modern GPS's?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I would take the Navman off the list & Add another TomTom , either Go 1000 or 1005 .
    Stick with them or Garmin & you won't go far wrong.
    The Go 1000 & 1005 also offer live services like traffic etc.
    Most devices now should recalculate a new route from your position rather than basing on the old route.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Funkiwi75

Thanks, but the two you have suggested are just a tad out of my price range.

Just found this about the go 1005

http://unimportant.blog.co.uk/2011/03/01/tomtom-go-live-1005-problems-does-not-appear-on-windows-explorer-cannot-be-back-up-10728967/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Fixed your link:
    It seems like a bit of a personal rant IMO.
    The file system is not accessible via explorer, that's correct . But that's for security. All maps & applications are installed via the new My TomTom , web based interface.I have tested these from the beginning and I haven't come across an issue where a device can't be restored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Funkiwi75 wrote: »
    but one really annoying thing it did was if you missed your turn it would recalculate a way back to that point instead of forgetting that point and plotting a new course. .

I've the 1490T as of January this year with all the latest updates. It still insists on doing this ~ it will eventually recalculate, and I'm finding it is too slow in warning of upcoming turns, really bad with all the multi option roundabouts we have in Ireland.

It's even WORSE in it's route plotter ~ It wants to take you to the end of the route and come back ~ no options for this in the menu so that's a useless feature.

PS, your first two Garmins are identical, except for the maps installed.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info. So it looks like the TomTom is the one ill look more into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Funkiwi75 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. So it looks like the TomTom is the one ill look more into.

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm still undecided between the TomTom 1005 and the Garmin 1490T - i've read a few negative owner reviews of the tomtom, but the issues gbee mentioned with the Garmin would be a major problem for me. Any advice?

There is a new release just out for the GO1005. A lot of changes to the whole OS really.
    If you tell me what concerns your having I'll give you my opinion.
    I have been testing these devices from well before their launch & I have had no major issues. There was instances of some devices bricking when updating maps, but thats a good while back.

My real concerns are reliability, routing, traffic, speed cameras, and ease of seeing what lane one should be in at junctions. If I were reassured on those points I think i'd buy a 1005 tomorrow.:)

• Advertisement

Speed cameras are hard to judge becaue its just warning you of the zones.
    Routing I find fine. Map errors are finally getting correct in a much more reasonable time.
    Advanced lane guidence is very good IMO.

So Koolkid would you recommend the TomTom? people should only worry about speed cameras if they speed and if you get caught on camera after being warned by GPS or signs then you deserve a ticket IMO

I would, abiet a little bit biased .:D;)

KoolKid wrote: »
    I would, abiet a little bit biased .:D;)
    Thanks for your help so far. In what ways would you say that the tomtom is better than the 1490T?

I just prefer the live services.

As in the tomtom is better at rerouting around traffic jams? Or is there more to it than that?

Anan1 wrote: »
    As in the tomtom is better at rerouting around traffic jams? Or is there more to it than that?

Thing to bare in mind here, traffic routing has nothing to do with my previous post. traffic routing works on the Garmin at THIS moment as 'historic' and is not 'live' BUT, but, but, but, traffic routing can only work if there is a route to avoid traffic.

City Managers throughout Ireland have made it impossible to reroute traffic ~ ergo this feature *in general* in * Ireland* is useless.

Plus it is only available *at this time* in Dublin for Tom Tom. Good luck routing around Dublin, let alone routing around traffic.

Just FYI. :)

Live covers live traffic,live weather, live Google Search.
    In my experience live traffic works very well, it is not just confined to Dublin.
    http://www.tomtom.com/livetraffic/#
    Here is a snapshot of live traffic incidents in ireland at the moment.
    Bear in mind this was taken just now & its almost midnight.
    170457.gif

Traffic can be avoided, obviousally not all the time, but at least arrival times are more accurate & up to date. You can , at times, literally see the delays adjusting ahead of you. Way way way better than IQ historical routing.

I use my own local radio as a traffic router. When ever they say a certain street is blocked and backed up .... I HEAD STRAIGHT FOR IT ~~~ it's always clear ... :)

Koolkat are you bias to TomTom coz you work for them or a tester for them?

• Advertisement

I open state my opinions would be biased towards TomTom.
    Because I use their devices all the time & I am so familiar with them.
    I do not work for TomTom. I am a beta tester for them.

Well I ordered a 1005 from Amazon today - i'll let you all know what I think!

It arrived today, and I have to say that my first impressions weren't great. It has the wrong speed limits on two well-travelled points on the N11, at Kilmacanogue heading North and at Cornelscourt. Additionally, it tried to route me through a farm gate and into a field in Kilquade. On the upside, the voice recognition works very well. Google search is a great idea, but it couldn't find Viking Marine in Kilcoole. Google on my iphone even brought it up on the map, but no way of transferring it to the tomtom. Some of this might be down to my own expectations - after 4 1/2 years with a Garmin 660 I was hoping to be blown away!

Anan1 wrote: »
    It arrived today,

I thought my older Garmin was better for basic navigation too. Have you updated online? Usually there need undated as the firmware and database are updated but the factory install could be months old.

gbee wrote: »
    I thought my older Garmin was better for basic navigation too. Have you updated online? Usually there need undated as the firmware and database are updated but the factory install could be months old.
    I did, before using it. This evening it informed me (while driving past it) that the East Pier in Dún Laoghaire was actually in Howth! In fairness, though, this is very easily corrected. There is something a bit clunky about the map, though, that I can't quite put my finger on. The place names that it uses are not the ones I would have chosen - it seems to omit landmarks in favour of obscure names, things like 'monkstown area' or the like. Speed camera warning was a world ahead of the Garmin though, although Garmin are supposed to have improved since? All that notwithstanding, the HD traffic feature really does look cool. Even though HD doesn't seem to always work properly, I still have the feeling that it's enough of a game changer to make it hard to give up. I'll keep ye posted.

Just a quick update here - I bought a once-off speed camera update for the Garmin Nuvi 660, just to see whether they'd sorted the issues from before. It worked fine, that's to say about as well as the TomTom. Given that my old Garmin is still better than the 1005 for navigation (and for seeing your surroundings on the map), I sent the TomTom back for a refund.

Advertisement