If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphones

Options
  • 07-08-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Can you recommend a really good set of headphones in the 100-150pound range? I've been looking at Sennheisers and Grados and am a bit stumped truth be told!

I'd like closed backs preferably, as I may use them while the better half watches tv in the same room. I won't be using them on portables, just seperates systems at home. Pioneer amp, and a Marantz amp.

Clarity and comfort are both a must!

Cheers,

K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I recommend the Sennheiser HD595 have a pair myself even though they are open the sound quality is top notch for the money I brought mine for 120 euro two years ago. As for annoying the better half they should'nt be too loud as long as your not blaring the music with them

Hope that helps
    Jon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hi Jon,

Funny you should mention the 595s.. After reading the reviews for them today in various places, I've done a complete U turn on my closed headphone preference and was thinking of those myself.

I see the RS guys have them for sale, so I'll wait and see what their best price is for Boardsies!

Cheers,

K.

You won't be disappointed great cans for the price plus they are so so comfy to wear I can where mine for hours without having sore ears

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@jonon9,

I understand the helpful intentions but please take a moment to read the Charter, queries on this forum are for Richersounds to answer - if you want to give advice to other Boardies feel free to visit the Home Entertainment forum.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi guys.

The HD595 and the Grado SR80i are both excellent sets of cans.

If you are looking for the best detail from a headphone, the Grado S80i are where it's at.

The HD595 have a better mid-range than the Grado, but the Grado are really sharp and very comfortable. The 595's have been around for a very long time and are coming to end of their life.

The SR80i are £109.95 and I can do these with free delivery.

The What Hifi review on the SR80i and user opinions may help.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/grado-sr80i

Let me know what you think.

ATB

Dave

• Advertisement

Sure thing Ritz

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Having read the various reviews, a couple of things have become apparent about the Grados.

1) The sound is amazing
    2) The build quality is pants
    3) They're not very comfortable.

What are your thoughts on those points?
    How much of a trade off soundwise, would the 595s be?

Thanks again,

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dmurray0

I have the Grado's and also the Goldring NS1000. The Grado leak sound an awful lot but I personally prefer the Goldring. They feel slightly more comfortable as the Grado has a foam ear piece. It is a matter of taste I suppose but that is my tuppence....

dmurray0 wrote: »
    I have the Grado's and also the Goldring NS1000. The Grado leak sound an awful lot but I personally prefer the Goldring. They feel slightly more comfortable as the Grado has a foam ear piece. It is a matter of taste I suppose but that is my tuppence....

Aw no, don't throw another set of headphones into the choice.. It's hard enough between the 595s and the SR80i's.
    And I have a Goldring turntable so I know the quality associated with that particular brand.. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.