Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Domain Reg. Question

Options
  • 07-08-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but I have just one quick question.

I'm registering a .ie domain for personal use and the company I'm buying the domain off requires some form of identification like a birth cert to register a .ie domain.

What I am wondering is, is there a minimum age to register a .ie domain because I'm under 18 and I don't want to go through the hassle of sending off some form of identification to them only to find out I'll have to register it through one of my parents or something.

Thanks, I didn't think there would be so much bloody hassle to register a .ie domain, don't know why it can't be like .com or .net with instant registration.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Do you really need .ie? Your right it is allot of hassle and if your going to keep the site for a few years, the price adds up. You'll get .com for 5 years for the price of 1 year of .ie. IMHO, .com looks better anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

I know .com would be easier but the domain I want has already been registered as .com. My website's traffic will almost exclusively be Irish anyway so I think a .ie would be better. Any idea about the age thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

I don't think there is an age restriction. However, there are some restrictions on the domain registration itself. Basically you're eligible to register a .ie if:

1. You are registering a personal website - e.g. www.johnsmith.ie
    - You will have to provide some identification.
    2. You are registering a company website - e.g. www.mycompany.ie
    - You will have to provide some proof of company ownership.

Your age shouldn't have a bearing on No.1 but registering a sole proprietorship or something along those lines mightn't be possible until you're 18 years old in the case of No.2 - although I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this helps

t1mm wrote: »
    I don't think there is an age restriction. However, there are some restrictions on the domain registration itself. Basically you're eligible to register a .ie if:

1. You are registering a personal website - e.g. www.johnsmith.ie
    - You will have to provide some identification.
    2. You are registering a company website - e.g. www.mycompany.ie
    - You will have to provide some proof of company ownership.

Your age shouldn't have a bearing on No.1 but registering a sole proprietorship or something along those lines mightn't be possible until you're 18 years old in the case of No.2 - although I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this helps

Thanks t1mm,

My website would fall into option 1 with a personal website. I presume that a personal website doesn't have to contain your name in the domain does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

I should probably have been more clear - yes it does have to contain your name. Heres some further information:

http://www.domainregistry.ie/index.php/mnudomregs/mnuquickguide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

You can ring the IEDR. They can answer your questions quickly and accurately.

Thanks guys,

I got a reply from the company I'm buying the domain off. I have to send them a copy of by birth cert and a letter about what I want to do with the domain.

Thanks again.

Advertisement