Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend to Kilkenny

Options
  • 07-08-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm heading to Kilkenny next weekend for a break with my GF. Stayin in Kilkenny city. Heard it's a nice place but I haven't any ideas on what to do over the weekend. Just wondering could I get some suggestions on what cool stuff is there to do in the city, county? Any good way to spend a day somewhere? (We're both in our 20's so just fyi) I know the Arts festival is on all week so hoping that will bring a buzz around too!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moved to Kilkenny City forum

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

IBTWE

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

How about the Worlds end? Fabulous spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

I would recommend
    1 - a walk in the park and tour of the castle
    2 - Nice restaurant, loads in Kilkenny
    3 - Some shopping in @ mcdonagh junction shopping center
    4 - Theres bowling and cinema if your stuck
    5 - Few coctails in biddy earlys
    6 - Smithwicks brewery tour is interesting too

Thats just in the city theres lots to do in the county too plus your only about 35 mins from Carlow, Waterford, or about 1hr from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Nice pubs: Left Bank, Langtons Front Bar, Tynans Bridge House.
    If the weather is good during the day - outside the Rivercourt hotel.
    Late bars: The Set Theatre @ Langtons, Morrisons.
    Restaurants: La Revista - Parliament St; Zuni + Stathams Bar + Grill - Patrick St.
    KK Castle Tour; Brewery Tour; St Canices Tower.
    There's a cinema and bowling alley in town aswell.
    If ye have a car a trip to Inistioge, Graig and that area would be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

1984baby wrote: »
    Nice pubs: Left Bank, Langtons Front Bar, Tynans Bridge House.
    If the weather is good during the day - outside the Rivercourt hotel.
    Late bars: The Set Theatre @ Langtons, Morrisons.
    Restaurants: La Revista - Parliament St; Zuni + Stathams Bar + Grill - Patrick St.
    KK Castle Tour; Brewery Tour; St Canices Tower.
    There's a cinema and bowling alley in town aswell.
    If ye have a car a trip to Inistioge, Graig and that area would be worth it.
    You left out The Worlds End.
    You're only spoiled for choice for shopping has Kilkenny not one but two Dunnes Stores!
    You could also try the Footpath challenge if you head up high street, try to get through town without being hit by traffic or falling over buggies that are trying to avoid the same traffic!
    Generally if the consumption of alcohol will be the main activity then Kilkenny has a pretty canal walk with friendly colourful fellow drinkers for the craic. If you can't find it, just ask a fit looking gentleman accompanied a white husky type dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I second the suggestion of a trip to Inistioge if you have a car- lovely village along the river with some nice little cafes and fantastic walks in Woodstock Gardens. It's one of my favorite spots in the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

- Visit the castle and head inside it's very beautiful :)
    - I second shopping in Mcdonagh shopping center and there's also Market Cross
    - Cinema is a short walk from Market Cross
    - Check up Tripadvisor and it will tell you the different tours that they have on some of them can be quite interesting
    - Paris Texas does nice dinners :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thewiseoldwoman

From reading the posts regarding the advice given to people when they ask about what to do while in Kilkenny i see some of you have little or nothing else to add except "the worlds end,the guy with white husky,the guy in a wheelchair"....well this says alot about you.Is this all your capable of thinking about,seems so as is you you can add....doesnt take alot to amuse you ,does it????
    Get a grip and stop laughing and sneering at the misfortunes of others,could be a member of your own family or close friends or their families in few months time and im quite sure like those you laugh at you, family members and friends have a past too if rooted up.

Taking in to consideration what happened in Kytelers few weeks ago,rows can happen anywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

From reading the posts regarding the advice given to people when they ask about what to do while in Kilkenny i see some of you have little or nothing else to add except "the worlds end,the guy with white husky,the guy in a wheelchair"....well this says alot about you.Is this all your capable of thinking about,seems so as is you you can add....doesnt take alot to amuse you ,does it????
    Get a grip and stop laughing and sneering at the misfortunes of others,could be a member of your own family or close friends or their families in few months time and im quite sure like those you laugh at you, family members and friends have a past too if rooted up.

Taking in to consideration what happened in Kytelers few weeks ago,rows can happen anywhere.

Might I suggest that people put a bit of effort into researching first and then asking questions here? There is a whole thread stickied on things to do in Kilkenny. Personally I think it's the laziness of some posters that they get such a reaction. Someone came on here and asked about dancing classes, which was fairly specific and surprise, surprise they didn't get the same Worlds End/ Dunnes Stores answer from the usual suspects as they had put a little bit of thought into it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

For what to do in Kilkenny there's a sticky for that and they were aware that the Arts week is on.

What happened in Kytlers a few weeks ago? I'm intrigued.

Any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

We are only joking. Most of us make that joke every so often around here, if people can't have a laugh in these miserable times what can we do? Was there a big mad fight in Kitlers or something, they got rid of all their bouncers. A crowd from Galway is what I heard trashed the place???

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scruffystack

Sound lads for the tips! I'm getting the impression that The Worlds End is a bit too posh for me for a few pints tho.. Must stay away! :P

Sound lads for the tips! I'm getting the impression that The Worlds End is a bit too posh for me for a few pints tho.. Must stay away! :P
    Standards must be maintained!

Plug wrote: »
    We are only joking. Most of us make that joke every so often around here, if people can't have a laugh in these miserable times what can we do? Was there a big mad fight in Kitlers or something, they got rid of all their bouncers. A crowd from Galway is what I heard trashed the place???

I know its joking,but hey these are human beings too and no need to be the "joke" all time.I am well aware of these guys and how obnoxsious they can be.I also know the pub and the antics and while also too posh for me,i just leave it so.
    Yeah serious row in Kytelers,but was the injuries suffered by some that was scarey stuff and its not classed on same level as Worlds End.Don't know where the crowd from,i heard Dublin.

If you're concerned about opinions on this thread then you better not read the "characters of Kilkenny" thread from some time back.

Sorry to hear about people being seriously hurt in Kytlers. Humour is just one way of dealing with this societies lax attitude towards scumbag behaviour ruining everyones fun.

catbear wrote: »
    If you're concerned about opinions on this thread then you better not read the "characters of Kilkenny" thread from some time back.

Sorry to hear about people being seriously hurt in Kytlers. Humour is just one way of dealing with this societies lax attitude towards scumbag behaviour ruining everyones fun.

Lol,oh i have read that thread and knew alot of them :-)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

It's a little known fact that the 'black' of the 'black & amber' refers to our sense of humour around these here parts... *cough

Advertisement