Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do questions need answers?

Options
  • 07-08-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been posted already - lock and redirect if this is the case.

This fine noodle-baker is one I've pondered for a day or two now. Why do questions need answers? In turn, it scrutinises the quest for meaning.

It might be that I'll wind up with the same answer to the simpler "Why Try?". Conciousness demands it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

Shtanto wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been posted already - lock and redirect if this is the case.

This fine noodle-baker is one I've pondered for a day or two now. Why do questions need answers? In turn, it scrutinises the quest for meaning.

It might be that I'll wind up with the same answer to the simpler "Why Try?". Conciousness demands it.

They don't need answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

when you find an 'answer' it usually leads to another question, and so the loop continues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Shtanto wrote: »

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We have evolved to be drawn towards gaining greater experience and knowledge. Those creatures which gain more knowledge and understanding of their environment survive longer than those which don't.
    The forces which drive a being to search out information are perhaps unknown, but given that all mammals are driven towards reward, we can assume that the act of gaining knowledge and experience causes emotional and chemical responses in the brain - our "reward" for becoming smarter.

Gaining knowledge makes us happy, effectively. And the best way to gain knowledge is through asking questions. Experimentation is effectively a form of question-asking and is something you will see many, if not most mammals doing during their lifecycles.

I do understand the nature of the question of course, taken out of a biological context. But in reality it's not much different to any of the other "why bother" questions. We seek out answers to questions because to do so makes us happy. The same reason why people undertake challenges like climbing mountains or eating as much pie as they can in ten minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭IQDENIED

Would it be called a question if there were no answer? Without an answer is it truly a question, or rather a statement/observation?

The Sky is blue Y or N?
    The Sky is blue?
    The Sky is blue!

A: It is not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

because humans have a very difficult time accepting that some stuff can't be answered.
    And when all else fails , they must make up something to fill in for the answer (God, self, whatever), luckily science uses theories, where we can openly admit that this is not THE answer, it MAY be an answer, and until we prove it we cannot say it is the answer, i.e. The Big Bang.

So why do questions need answers? Because we are human, and the human brain is a weird awkward thing that doesnt do stuff very efficiently at times, (despite it being the most powerful type of computer in the world:D).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement