Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loose moderator

Options
  • 07-08-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Was off today giving a friend of mine a hand zeroing his new .243, brought along my 6.5 to make sure its still on target ready for the 1st.

Got his one zeroed with no issues at all. Fired off 3 shots of mine and grouped 2 inches right and inch high. Made my adjustment, next group 1inch left and inch low, both quite wide groups.

Let it cool down and tried figure out what I was doing wrong. Adjusted gain and was all over the paper with following shots :(

At this point I realised my mod was slightly loose, half turn had it right.
    Returned the turrets to there original zero, 3 shots off all within 3/4 inch group, 1inch high at 100, exactly how it was when I left it last time I shot it :rolleyes:

Moral of the story....put the rifle together properly and you wont waste half a box of bullets and an hour faffing about ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Expensive lesson but better suss it now than at the start of the season. Heading over next week to the range to check all rifles before the season.

Good tip though on checking your gear. :cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Mauser 308

tfox wrote: »
    Was off today giving a friend of mine a hand zeroing his new .243, brought along my 6.5 to make sure its still on target ready for the 1st.

Got his one zeroed with no issues at all. Fired off 3 shots of mine and grouped 2 inches right and inch high. Made my adjustment, next group 1inch left and inch low, both quite wide groups.

Let it cool down and tried figure out what I was doing wrong. Adjusted gain and was all over the paper with following shots :(

At this point I realised my mod was slightly loose, half turn had it right.
    Returned the turrets to there original zero, 3 shots off all within 3/4 inch group, 1inch high at 100, exactly how it was when I left it last time I shot it :rolleyes:

Moral of the story....put the rifle together properly and you wont waste half a box of bullets and an hour faffing about ;)

T, I have also noticed that if you fire a number of rounds the mod can come a touch loose, which again throws out bad groups. So keep a check the mod is tight. PS still have them 6.5 bullets, will bring them when we tie up for a scout of the slieve blooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    T, I have also noticed that if you fire a number of rounds the mod can come a touch loose,

Oh for sure. Was out shooting rabbits with the .223 and a mate. All was going well until I missed a complete sitter on the last shot :confused: but, there had been a funny sound. Like a bullet clipping the mod to my mind, though I never saw any damage, but the bullet missed and the mod was loose when checked! It's certainly something to keep in mind if firing a number of shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

johngalway wrote: »
    Oh for sure. Was out shooting rabbits with the .223 and a mate. All was going well until I missed a complete sitter on the last shot :confused: but, there had been a funny sound. Like a bullet clipping the mod to my mind, though I never saw any damage, but the bullet missed and the mod was loose when checked! It's certainly something to keep in mind if firing a number of shots.

Found something similar myself when zeroing one time. At one point groups were opening up to about 4" and wandering around the paper. Was puzzled and unimpressed until I decided to call it a day or I ran out of ammo and when dismantling the rifle to head home, the mod was loose. Expensive lesson, but any time since, I've checked the mod between groups, so one well learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Use a bit of PTFE tape on the screw thread, has a very high melting point and will stop Mod loosening from vibration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Use a bit of PTFE tape on the screw thread, has a very high melting point and will stop Mod loosening from vibration

+1 on that. Also check that the shoulder is squeaky clean plus the face on the mod that sits against it. A good clean seating shouldn't work loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Mauser 308 wrote: »
    T, I have also noticed that if you fire a number of rounds the mod can come a touch loose, which again throws out bad groups. So keep a check the mod is tight. PS still have them 6.5 bullets, will bring them when we tie up for a scout of the slieve blooms.

first time it happened to me, I normally give it a good spin once I have the thread started and it locks up tight, then give it a twist.

I had only put the mod on loosely as I was still sorting out his rifle, then grabbed mine to fire a few shots without tightening it all first. the difference it made was huge :eek:

Yeah Mauser we'll hook up when you're back from hols ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tfox wrote: »
    first time it happened to me, I normally give it a good spin once I have the thread started and it locks up tight, then give it a twist.

I had only put the mod on loosely as I was still sorting out his rifle, then grabbed mine to fire a few shots without tightening it all first. the difference it made was huge :eek:

Yeah Mauser we'll hook up when you're back from hols ;)

Try out the PTFE tape and see how you get on.

It also stops carbon build up on the threads and keeps them shiney and bright

Advertisement