Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TG4 HD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Good find.

Would this mean a move to Mux 2 down the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Interesting, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

hi,
    not sure if i am in the right place but anyways, I want to view something on the tg4 website. I used to watch things all the time, but over the summer they have changed/upgraded the website. When I try to watch something now, all i get it frozen images/pictures...the sound is fine but its unwatchable. I assume I need to download something to my computer but does anyone out there know what it is?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

Check that you have the latest version of Flash Player installed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Tender awarded to Broadcast Video Services Ltd, Loughlinstown Co Dublin on 14th Oct.
    Value of contract - €1,858,177 excluding VAT

http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=OCT279975

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Bit pointless, who will watch it or understand it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Bit pointless, who will watch it or understand it

TG4 viewers, I suppose.

ardmacha wrote: »
    TG4 viewers, I suppose.

Total waste of resources, TG4 get hardly any viewers compared to the other channels. Only exists due to the Irish speaking communities having too much say in this country.
    It will be done for political reasons only, its ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Willbe great for watching the rugby though. I don't mind watching it in Irish and not all program's on TG4 are in Irish.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Willbe great for watching the rugby though. I don't mind watching it in Irish and not all program's on TG4 are in Irish.

The ratings will be higher when not in irish, that is the paradox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Will the screen be 10% wider than normal HD?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

mcwhirter wrote: »
    The ratings will be higher when not in irish, that is the paradox.
    And if it wasn't for pressure from Irish language communities for a station like TG4, it simply wouldn't exist.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Whilst not a fluent Gaelic speaker, I look forward to TG4 HD. It's a good channel, better than TV3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Total waste of resources, TG4 get hardly any viewers compared to the other channels. Only exists due to the Irish speaking communities having too much say in this country.

What a great point you put across, "I don't like it so it shouldn't exist".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Will the screen be 10% wider than normal HD?:)

Ha ha! Excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

byte wrote: »
    Whilst not a fluent Gaelic speaker, I look forward to TG4 HD. It's a good channel, better than TV3.
    Yes - since we got Saorview we have been lucky enough to run across some excellent, slightly offbeat programmes on TG4 - I don't think I have run across ANYTHING in that time on TV3 that was worth recording or forwarding to friends abroad.
    Problem with TG4 is you have to make an effort to find out what's on - the others seem to be easier to "access" to use a horrible word.
    The level of detail about TG4 programmes given in the papers (we use the Sunday Times guide) is not very helpful either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭swoofer

put this link in your faourites and enjoy

http://www.tg4.ie/tv-listings/tv-listings.html?date=2011-11-4

gbc-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I wish TG4 would stop using Government grants to outbid RTE on match rights. They should at least off an English commentator stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I wish TG4 would stop using Government grants to outbid RTE on match rights. They should at least off an English commentator stream.

Doubt they will, but once they get the interactive button working on 'proper' saorview they should be able to offer choice of commentary like the BBC do with football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It should be noted that TG4 has english subtitles on many of it's programmes. It also has far more home produced, better quality shows than TV3's "sit a gang in a studio and waffle" style.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

ardmacha wrote: »
    TG4 viewers, I suppose.

Have some great documentaries and they do put subtitles in english

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On the rugby last night, it was very noticeable how much poorer the picture was on TG4 compared to RTE2HD - even though we only have an SDTV.

No excuse for not offering an English commentary (or even just match sounds only) on Saorview on an additional audio channel.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Good find.

Would this mean a move to Mux 2 down the line?

Ultimately the HD channels have to be spread equally between the two (or more) Mux for efficient use of the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will the saorview set top box..be able to pick up HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Doubt they will, but once they get the interactive button working on 'proper' saorview they should be able to offer choice of commentary like the BBC do with football.

English audio was available on RTE Radio1 extra (which is on saorview) for rugby last night. I used hdmi connection on saorview box through adapter to dvi for video on TG4 & old sagem picnic box to supply audio from R1 extra. 5 second delay on video over audio. Pause function if available on picnic box would have fixed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fryup wrote: »
    will the saorview set top box..be able to pick up HD?

HD by default but you will also require an HD TV connected by HDMI cable to the STB. Connection via scart will display the picture in downscaled SD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

khumbu wrote: »
    English audio was available on RTE Radio1 extra (which is on saorview) for rugby last night. I used hdmi connection on saorview box through adapter to dvi for video on TG4 & old sagem picnic box to supply audio from R1 extra. 5 second delay on video over audio. Pause function if available on picnic box would have fixed that.

I attempted to listen to RTE Radio1 extra. I have a HTPC so opened up the RTE Radio1 extra stream in the background and had the game in the foreground. Problem is it was impossible to pause the stream, despite there being a "pause" button on the player. (clicking pause just stopped the stream, click play again would jump to the live point).

I eventually found a windows media stream of Radio1 extra, but again couldn't pause it, not in WMP, VLC, MPC-HC. Luckily this stream was slightly delayed compared to the official one so synced up OK with the game.

Barely watched the first half I was faffing around so much, tearing my hair out in frustration.

Stupid TG4 and Irish nazim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Apogee

Stupid TG4 and Irish nazim.

I heard that the turf-fired crematoria are running 24 hours a day in Baile na hAbhainn. You can see the smoke for miles!

But apparently they're starting to run short of Zyklon-B and Jews...

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    What a great point you put across, "I don't like it so it shouldn't exist".

Never said it shouldn't exist, its just not a good choice putting TG4 onto HD, majority of the country can't understand irish and the listings in the newspapers too. Why not have a jewish channel as well, as they are a minority too in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Oh please. Where was RTÉ back in the days of the Celtic League. That's right, they didn't care less about it back then and only TG4 provided coverage. Do you remember those days? I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to show rugby now. TG4 didn't outbid RTÉ for last nights game either.

It amazes me how many people need English commentary for a rugby match. Do ye not understand what's happening on the field or something?

Never said it shouldn't exist, its just not a good choice putting TG4 onto HD, majority of the country can't understand irish and the listings in the newspapers too. Why not have a jewish channel as well, as they are a minority too in ireland.

I don't see why a channel moving to HD is such a problem for you. Should channels you deem to be not worthy have stayed in black and white?

It is amusing how you liken Irish speakers to the members of a religious order. You would do well to take note of the official languages of this state.

If you want a religious channel then why not start one up or petition for one. If there is demand for a Jewish channel in Ireland, I am sure someone will make it happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement